Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:44 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times

Advertisements

but if the housing market is hurting then how are construction companies not hurting and still hiring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
My sister graduated with a BS in civil engineering from Cal Poly Pomona in June of '08. She started at $62k/yr and 3 months later her salary is @66k/yr. She has 3 years worth of internship (doing 20+ hrs/wk constantly) at a huge international construction firm dealing with billion $ of projects and still finished her degree in 5 years and a decent 2.7gpa.

Apparently, this paid off because employers value this much more than her friends who finished in 5 years with 3+gpa but no experience.

Also, we just hired a new fresh grad civil engineer from Cal Poly @58/yr, new electrical engineer @65k/yr.

In a sense, salary decreased a bit, but it's still above 50k/yr...

Yes... we received multiple bids at unusually low rates... This is also unusual, but most of the contractors I'm working with are so diligent and take things professionally and seriously...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
horrible for young people just horrible. parents encouraged advanced degrees. 50% flunk out student loans in default and they are getting older. no house no job in debt and some with kids of their own and already 1st divorce. the sky is cryin.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:04 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,337 times
All age groups are hurting....but all I have to say is I would be mighty pissed right now if I was graduating with THOUSANDS in student loan debt and a.) could not find a job at all b.) could only find jobs that paid 12-14 dollars and hour tops. Many of my friends are in this situation and honestly-right now they are worse off than those of us who did'nt finish college and saved ourselves some debt.

Not to devalue education- but it sets a bad president when I see people striving for better by getting a higher education only find themselves living paycheck to paycheck like the rest of us. How the he** am I supposed to teach my children that higher education is the answer in this economic climate??

I guess I will have to stress that education is about achievement, not always financial security??

I also feel bad for those who have outdated job skills who are suddenly being forced to return to the ever competitive job market to help support their struggling family. Some exaples- retirees going back, long term stay at home moms, etc

Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,866,277 times
Quote:
Not to devalue education- but it sets a bad president when I see people striving for better by getting a higher education only find themselves living paycheck to paycheck like the rest of us. How the he** am I supposed to teach my children that higher education is the answer in this economic climate??
Well charging 40k/year to go to school is just plain ridiculous. I went to a community college and a state school and I will graduate DEBT FREE and it only cost me 10k to get my BA. For all you people who went to ivy leagues and graduating with 100k+ debt, I sure hope the degree was worth it!!!!1 Oh yea, and I'll have 40k+ in the bank for my house when I graduate in 2012 which is precisely when all the foreclosure waves start to stop.

Only worry in my mind is getting a decent job that I can work my way up. If I can't get a job, I am not spending anything!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:17 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,789 times
Politicians and public figures should stop saying everyone should go to college . College is not for everyone and if alot of people have college degrees it will de-value them even more....I might get yelled at for saying this but capitalism and our society is a zero-sum game..at least that's the way I see it, I'm not saying its right but for every winner there is a loser.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,761,266 times
Quote:
but if the housing market is hurting then how are construction companies not hurting and still hiring?
she works for water district doing treatment/water system distribution, and I work for an environmental doing wastewater rehab/reclaim...

we don't stop drinking and pooping even in recession.... ^^

Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
she works for water district doing treatment/water system distribution, and I work for an environmental doing wastewater rehab/reclaim...

we don't stop drinking and pooping even in recession.... ^^
I do

Old 01-21-2009, 07:45 AM

120 posts, read 482,071 times
Quote:
In a sense, salary decreased a bit, but it's still above 50k/yr...
The expectations are 50k+, but the jobs aren't paying that much. Anything financial or engineering or nursing, yes, 50K+ is standard. But journalism and social work and fields like that...no. I suspect the average full time salary for a new graduate is somewhere in the low 40s when all fields are taken into consideration.

A lot of people making lower salaries, however, actually do end up with higher income overall if you take any second jobs they might have. I know a number of people making in the 40k range and wait tables or babysit do something like that after their day job. They probably end up with about 50k or higher. In this town, you need that type of money to stay afloat.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:03 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,993 times
mho based on experience, but I think anyone over 35 or with outdated experience/credentials/references, or people with at-home issues (family, not able to work 8-hrs a day, or other uncontrollable issues) have the most trouble.

Why hire someone with issues when you can hire some kid without any (yet)

Old 01-21-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurrMark View Post
The expectations are 50k+, but the jobs aren't paying that much. Anything financial or engineering or nursing, yes, 50K+ is standard. But journalism and social work and fields like that...no. I suspect the average full time salary for a new graduate is somewhere in the low 40s when all fields are taken into consideration.

A lot of people making lower salaries, however, actually do end up with higher income overall if you take any second jobs they might have. I know a number of people making in the 40k range and wait tables or babysit do something like that after their day job. They probably end up with about 50k or higher. In this town, you need that type of money to stay afloat.
What city do you live in? I could easily live making in the 40k range, and that's even if I go to some of the bigger cities close to me (250 miles or so ) Houston, or San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment