Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2009, 08:19 AM

173 posts, read 967,098 times

Advertisements

The fact that people will change their jobs many times over their life times is a fact of life.

But, is this also true of geography and relocating?

I have been extensively networking and I see more and more people moving quite often and over large distances.
I spoke with one guy and he told me it's been years since he's lived in a "home".

Are you a gypsy?
And how has this impacted your professional and personal life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 09:06 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,707,572 times
Yeah, I'm sort of a gypsy now. I kinda love it and hate it. My permanent home is Chicago, but unfortunately I never had a job last over 1 year there. Now, with 5.75 years of experience, the doors to jobs nationwide have opened up for me. So my last 3 jobs were in Houston and Bowling Green, and I enjoyed living in other places and seeing America! I visited lots of nearby cities on the weekends, like New Orleans, San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Nashville, and Atlanta.

But if you have to move around every 6 months for 6 month contract jobs, that sucks big time. I'd prefer 2 year contract jobs! Or 3 year permanent jobs at a good company!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:29 PM

359 posts, read 1,195,356 times
Sooner or later, I will become a gypsy myself. Becuase of the economy, hardly anybody stays in one city anymore due to poor job growth.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:24 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,707,572 times
Actually, there are people who live this lifestyle! They are professional contract job hoppers that hop around the nation doing contract CAD or Engineering jobs! I ran into these people in my Houston contract job and learned a lot about this. But moving around a lot has a big disadvantage - you don't settle down and maybe it's so hard to get married and have a family and the people I've seen do this - stay single!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:17 PM

3,999 posts, read 4,122,473 times
Yes...

Hubby has worked contract work for 30 years. I stayed home and raised our family. About 6 years ago we sold it all... the house.. the furniture.. put the unreplaceable stuff in storage and now travel full time with his job. It has its pros and cons. Sometimes we are treated wonderfully and feel like a part of the community, other times the locals hate us. The worst part is trying to explain to others how our lifestyle works when we need services. Doctors, dentists, mail services, banks, etc., just can't fathom it.

It takes some doing, but it can be a decent lifestyle once you learn the ins and outs. Best of luck to those of you learning to do so now because of the economy....

Old 01-22-2009, 10:16 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,542,493 times
Back in 1998 I took a year off from life. I decared myself single and took off from Virginia to Vancouver, British Columbia. I stayed on two 6 month visas. Lived off a few measly dollars, did a few illegal jobs for cash made some friends in the Unitarian Church and continued to attend. Sat in hippy coffee shops often, walked the shopping district of Robson St and the fishing docks of Smithville.

I mingled with the bums, prostitutes and homeless people. Stayed in Hostels like in the real Hippy days of the 60s. I am still a long haired Hippy. Took the BC Ferrys to Vancouver Island and hung among the college students in Victoria. Had Tim Hortons jelly donuts for dinner some nights and White Spot other nights. Hung out in used CD and record stores listening to the free music.

I came back to the states after that year was up and got right back into the normal working groove again. For the next 10 years I dreamed of doing something very special on my 50th. I wanted to Kayak from Blaine, Washington which is where the Peace Arch Border crossng is with Canada, to San Diego without ever stopping on land. All by kayak.

I just turned 51 this week and it never happened.

So people if you ever want to do something crazy. JUST DO IT!!! I did it once and the second time never happened. I may be getting a little old to do it now. For that I will always regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment