Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:19 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
What kinds of skills are good for women...BESIDES nursing? I'm not being sarcastic, but some of these seem like heavily male-dominated fields.
If you're good with your hands and have good hand-eye coordination: electrical engineering HVAC technician.
Yesterday I read about the low number of women in science and mathematics. Some of the theories about this is that it doesn't work well with women trying to start families. I would suggest more scientific and mathematical communities try to recruit child free women and possibly try to work with women who want to become mothers and give them flex-time and maybe some paid maternity leave (after x amount of years of work, of course). At the same time, I would see how it would be hard to be a mother and a scientist. Once you're gone delivering your baby, you're already behind on a certain project.

In any case,even if there are fields that are heavily male dominated, it doesn't mean that women can't do the work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:01 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei View Post
Get your PM certificate (PMP ?). Last I heard employers highly regard it...
Yes, PMP certification is a big plus. As more and more projects become outsourced to different companies (even within the US), the need for someone with PMP certification is greater than ever.

Project Management can be a really difficult job though; I don't envy those folks. Long hours and lots of stress.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:29 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I remember the 1970s recession, and plenty of over-educated liberal arts people and other degrees driving taxis, etc. It seems to me that, at least around Boston, a whole lot of them ended up in software. Back then, the only degree that was applicable was mostly electrical engineering, and there weren't that many of them. I imagine it's a whole lot harder now to break in without concrete experience/training.
Of course, there have always been a lot of over-educated people who are driving taxis around Boston... now they're all from Africa. Really.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:16 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I'm in the same boat. I'm graduating in June with an AVIATION (Totally useless!) degree, and the only jobs I can find are minimum wage, $8.00/hr jobs. I've searched everywhere - job sites, trade magazines, school career services, friends and family - NOTHING! I want to go into airport management but I'll take anything in Michigan at this point. I really don't want to move.
I realize this is an old thread and you'll likely never see this, but if you're unwilling to move around to find a job in aviation, you really didn't think out your degree/future too well. Don't ge me wrong: I understand passion for aviation. I too am deep into the aviation field and hold a BS/MS in aviation related degrees. But I knew from the outset that aviation is not one of those careers that you can find a job in any place in any town. Surely you knew this before you embarked on such a degree?

My advice to you would be to expand your horizons and go out and get the experience. You can always move back to MI in the future.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:56 AM

1 posts, read 783 times
Default search engine positioning

How do I make search engine positioning avails?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment