Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 11:02 AM

421 posts, read 1,337,012 times

Advertisements

I was curious if anyone knows or has opinions on job markets in any other states? I'm currently in Colorado and our job availablity is rapidly declining. I know that we are having issues with this everywhere but I was wondering if any state/city was better than the next, as far as available jobs, better market, etc.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 11:53 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Well, a month ago I would tell you to come to Dallas, but I think we are getting hit by it now.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:06 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Speaking of Texas~the Odessa/Midland area has a very low unemployment rate. But there was an article in my local newspaper saying the oil industry was even laying off down there because of the low cost right now and they'll rehire when the prices go up. They went on to say that they had enjoyed a 3.4% unemployment rate in that area, but felt it was changing if something didn't happen fast. Anyway, it was strange that it was in my local newspaper cause I'm a long distance from Texas.

You could check out South Dakota. We had the lowest unemployment rate in the nation for quite a while and probably still do. But be cautious. We have a thread in our state forum that I had started about our loss of jobs. Winters are generally slow up here, but there have been many layoffs these past few months. Our Gov. did say there was employment available for the displaced workers, but that's got to be getting skimpy by now, too. The last stats I saw had us around 3.4% for unemployment, but that is up from below 3% in most areas. I believe Sx. Falls was around 2.3% previously which means unemployment was basically non-existent. Also, unemployment stats run at least a month behind. You don't live too far from Rapid City. That may be worth checking out. If they ever get the old Homestake mine going with the new science lab, things should be pretty stable there.

I like your question and am also curious as to what more answers will be.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:23 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontob View Post
I was curious if anyone knows or has opinions on job markets in any other states? I'm currently in Colorado and our job availablity is rapidly declining. I know that we are having issues with this everywhere but I was wondering if any state/city was better than the next, as far as available jobs, better market, etc.

Thanks
My friend Julie told me there are jobs in Omaha Nebraska.

NC released their unemployment figures yesterday all time highest in 23 years of 8.7

SC is out of money for unemployment checks and will be for the 2nd time borrowing money so they can pay out.

Ohio is close to running out of funds as well.

So my guess is leave out OH NC SC and MI

From what I read on these boards it appears the grass is not greener anywhere. Those of us that remain employed (so far) are counting our blessings for the most part. However I wait for the other shoe to drop sooner than later. Though I believe I'm completely safe, I do wonder how much longer things will hold out. Even I with feeling secure in my job, am living very lean, and saving every dime I can.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:37 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Well, a month ago I would tell you to come to Dallas, but I think we are getting hit by it now.
What about the area hit by the hurricane (Houston Galveston Island etc)?
Is there not lots of construction/cleanup type work there right now?
Just wondered.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:05 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Don't come to California; the unemployment rate is 9.3% and growing. Only two other states, Michigan and Rhode Island, are in worse shape.

California unemployment rate jumps to 9.3% - Los Angeles Times

The state is in very bad shape financially; it is facing a deficit of $41 billion in the next eighteen months.

The Great California Fiscal Earthquake - TIME

Also, the L.A. County unemployment rate is worse than the state's, at 9.9%. (See the L.A. Times article referenced above.)

For anyone who wants to move here (or move back here) because the housing prices are dropping, please reconsider unless you already have a firm job commitment!

Old 01-24-2009, 04:09 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
DC Metro area is usually somewhat immune. Federal hiring especially in Homeland Security. Trade jobs (carpentry, electricians) slowing down because of the housing bubble. NGO's are cutting back. High wages generally but also high cost, even in the far exurbs.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Washington DC because it is mostly Government that drives the economy down there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment