Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 12:41 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Donna LeBlanc gave her husband, a former restaurant manager, the stark ultimatum: become a pizza delivery man or their family "wouldn't make it."

The Lafayette, Louisiana, family of six was struggling with $45,000 of mounting medical debt from Donna LeBlanc's unexpected case of pneumonia and tonsillitis a year earlier. The family savings account had dwindled to $100.

Deliver pizzas, wife tells laid-off hubby - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 09:08 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
I would just file for bankruptcy and get a divorce. Then again the guy has 6 kids. I am taking it he isn't the smartest of the bunch.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:52 AM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times
What I found interesting in that story is that he could work in Oil, but chooses not to because it would take him away from his family.

I understand that, but, passing up a good job so he can make 10 bucks delivering pizza seems a little odd.

If I had 6 kids, I'd be on the first bus to whatever furthest Oil Rig I could find

Old 01-25-2009, 04:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,730 times
I don't see how delivering pizzas (and putting wear on your own car and paying your own gas) would help them out. Yeah its better than nothing, but its a pittance.

If anything it just gets him away from her nagging.

Is there a reason she can't look for a job? He can watch the kids, too. Not just mom.

Getting divorced would only make it harder on the whole family anyways, so thats not really a solution. She's not real bright, either.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:26 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I don't see how delivering pizzas (and putting wear on your own car and paying your own gas) would help them out. Yeah its better than nothing, but its a pittance.
I worked in a pizza restaurant for 5 1/2 years and I have a couple of friends who are putting in close to a decade with delivering. They make good money; they make at least twice as much as the higher up managers and they make more than anyone starting out on an oil rig.

You can make tons of money delivering, but it all depends on the location and the type of pizza joint.

And yes, it does hell on your car.

Most of the drivers in this article worked at the pizza place that I worked at.

Minneapolis News - The Pizza Man Always Rings Twice - page 1 - City Pages

Old 01-25-2009, 08:39 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I worked in a pizza restaurant for 5 1/2 years and I have a couple of friends who are putting in close to a decade with delivering. They make good money; they make at least twice as much as the higher up managers and they make more than anyone starting out on an oil rig.

You can make tons of money delivering, but it all depends on the location and the type of pizza joint.

And yes, it does hell on your car.

Most of the drivers in this article worked at the pizza place that I worked at.

Minneapolis News - The Pizza Man Always Rings Twice - page 1 - City Pages
Tell us K. What kind of tips to pizza delivery peoeple make. What do average people give you to deliver a pizza that they are too damn lazy to go out and get? Do many people stiff you?

I doubt they make more then the manger as you say but Im sure pizza delivery people can make much more then minimum wage peope after adding in all the tax free tips.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:18 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
People today have to make smart decisions, including not having too many kids!
Programs that applaud people with a dozen kids make me a bit queasy. It all looks so easy. But in the end someone has to pay the bills.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:48 AM

764 posts, read 2,548,805 times
I've been a stay at home wife/Mom for the last 10 years. If my hubby came home from work tomorrow with the news he was being laid off, my a$$ would be out pounding the pavement looking for whatever job I could find ASAP. It does get a little trickier when kids and childcare are involved, but it's not impossible.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 AM

470 posts, read 1,162,736 times
damn six kids. When and if I have kids Ideally I would only want one or two prob.

I am with killer in that he should file for bankruptcy, I mean 45,000 in medicals...it would take forever to pay that off might as well cut your loses.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,518 times
Bankruptcy all day long...I didnt look at the link, but save the house if there is one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment