U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:03 AM

14 posts, read 36,499 times

Advertisements

Well per reccomendations I have created a linked in while also cleaning my facebook as I have been told that employers do look at those sites, so being new to Linkedin, I am up for chatting and meeting new people on here to create a network.....I am really happy with the responses that I received on my first post and they were very helpful, I do hope that this post will be as helpful to my career goals.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 01:09 AM

...........if anyone would like to chat and after getting to know me would feel comfortable allowing to add to my network that would be awesome....you can message me on here or at dameon_rose@hotmail.com

Old 01-26-2009, 07:26 AM

5,585 posts, read 10,095,186 times
Linkedin is a networking site rather than a job site - many people equate the two things but they are different. Networking may lead to a job, but waiting until you need a job to network would be like waiting until you were really sick to buy health insurance. So try not to make your profile sound like a job search. Also, try to keep your profile focused on your positives.

Good luck.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:10 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,287,051 times
they can't find you on facebook if you lock it down or change your name, both of which I have done.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:55 AM

while I am happy in my current position I always want to keep my options open to furthur my career goals, you all have been so helpful.......My name is Dameon and from western wisconsin......it is time for me to think about the future and get out of the past, positive attitude will only help me reach my goals.....meeting new people is my first step in both creating new freinds outside of my area and improving my shoulder to lean on....so say hello.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 AM

5,500 posts, read 20,296,862 times
Seth Godin seems to think these social networking sites are worthless, and I tend to agree with him. Here he is talking about it on You Tube:

YouTube - Seth Godin on social networking and small business

Old 01-26-2009, 04:56 PM

10,425 posts, read 45,093,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Seth Godin seems to think these social networking sites are worthless, and I tend to agree with him. Here he is talking about it on You Tube:

YouTube - Seth Godin on social networking and small business
I dont know who Seth Godin is but he sure looked like a goon. If the camera was any closer to him he would have been eating it. Any goon ball who wears green framed union hall glasses does not get respect.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:10 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,280,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Linkedin is a networking site rather than a job site - many people equate the two things but they are different. Networking may lead to a job, but waiting until you need a job to network would be like waiting until you were really sick to buy health insurance. So try not to make your profile sound like a job search. Also, try to keep your profile focused on your positives.

Good luck.
LinkedIn does have a job search section with job openings that you can search. Obviously, all the jobs are posted by LinkedIn members and can be HR recruiters, external recruiters, and even hiring managers.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:25 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,207,778 times
One other cool thing about linked in is that you can go through simplyhired and look for jobs and linked in can tell you about any people in your network that might have some contacts with the company you are looking at. HOpe that made sense. Simplyhired is like Indeed where they pull employment ads from all kinds of different sources like monster and careerbuilder as well as individual company websites. So say you find a job you would like to apply to and it would tell you if your friend John Doe is friends with someone that works at that company.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:02 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,296,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I dont know who Seth Godin is but he sure looked like a goon. If the camera was any closer to him he would have been eating it. Any goon ball who wears green framed union hall glasses does not get respect.
Seth Godin is highly regarded and has written several best-selling books on marketing.

Pay attention to what he says, not how he looks.

I happen to agree with him. I think Facebook, Twitter, and all these social networking sites are a waste of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment