U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-02-2009, 02:17 PM

10,050 posts, read 13,831,055 times
A new federal prison hospital opened five miles from my house, and they wanted RNs with psych/AIDS experience. I called about it. I was 41, and the oldest you could be to apply was 35. Supposedly, the RN job was lumped in with "corrections officer," although there was no corrections officer work involved. Also, you could get older in the job, but couldn't *start* older. It sounded ridiculous to me. The recruiter said it was a federal rule, and not flexible, and yes, they were having trouble finding younger RNs out in that area, as it's suburban/rural and few younger RNs live out there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:25 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,425,589 times
Some jobs I truly believe you really need to be fit. All in all it really is health insurance calling the shots and blocking older folks from consideration and it isn't just the Fed but across the board.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:44 PM

3,196 posts, read 3,292,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
A new federal prison hospital opened five miles from my house, and they wanted RNs with psych/AIDS experience. I called about it. I was 41, and the oldest you could be to apply was 35. Supposedly, the RN job was lumped in with "corrections officer," although there was no corrections officer work involved. Also, you could get older in the job, but couldn't *start* older. It sounded ridiculous to me. The recruiter said it was a federal rule, and not flexible, and yes, they were having trouble finding younger RNs out in that area, as it's suburban/rural and few younger RNs live out there.
Irrespective of what I said about law enforcement careers--this is not one. and this is just plain wrong. I bet if you could find a lawyer that would take this, you would win. Just because they have "rules" doesn't make them right.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,335,442 times
I agree and don't. Depends on the specific work we're talking about. Not only physically fit, health and how close to retirement (some people want to hire those in for the long haul), also depends on how current said middle aged person is on what they know about current technology, etc.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 PM

3,196 posts, read 3,292,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I agree and don't. Depends on the specific work we're talking about. Not only physically fit, health and how close to retirement (some people want to hire those in for the long haul), also depends on how current said middle aged person is on what they know about current technology, etc.
That's another good point. It costs a lot of money to train law enforcement officers. I know the LAPD pays full salary for a training program that lasts almost 6 months--then they have to pay all the instructors and for the facilities. I am sure it is similar for other organizations. So, if you hire someone too close to retirement, you can't get a good return on your training investment.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:56 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,223,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I am sorry that happened. That is really dumb. You are fully trained, certified and experienced, and from my casual observation, corrections is a field that seems to need more butts in seats.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 7,274 times
Default employment

Does any one know what the age limit is for game wardens in new jersey??????????? or for that matter law enforcment

Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 PM

253 posts, read 477,555 times
Default i looked it up once

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Irrespective of what I said about law enforcement careers--this is not one. and this is just plain wrong. I bet if you could find a lawyer that would take this, you would win. Just because they have "rules" doesn't make them right.
you wont win...i looked it up once not to long ago, someone did sue, and lost...age limit applied...end of story. reason being...it was a federal prison, that followed the federal age restrictions....it doesnt matter what position at the prision...it was still federal. the age restriction had something to do with being fair to retirement benifits(not sure on the exact wording) but basically....it was set up for younger people to work and be able to work and insure a pension.....ok....i can understand that, BUT.............what if someone applies, who is past the age limit, who DOESNT want the pension???? my husband is retired military, he already has earned a pension....he always says he would rather have the job and give up the pension, cuz he already has one.....i think this option should be available......if one chooses.
its not right to DQ highly experianced people just cuz they are past a age...our government says its not legal to do so in private sector....but they themselves hire older people, yet for the everyday jobs...forget...age limits....seems kinda 2 faced.
i agree with others on here.....if job requires physical, and you can pass it....and more then qaulified....age restriction should be waved.
my husband is 49...retired military cop....experianced and trained and seen more then most veteren local cops....yet cant apply to most jobs due to age.
no offence....but its not a secret...todays younger people are more out of shape then their older counter parts....just look around.
the age limit needs to be re-thought with respect to older workers, they still have families, they have proved their worth....etc....im sorry...anyone over the age of 37, as is most of the restricted age....is not OLD!!!!
so unfair.
gov is missing out on alot of good talent with this.
maybe they wouldnt need to keep reposting for same job every couple months if they would re-considor people over the age limit, they would get someone more stable next time. just my 2cents.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:54 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,977,445 times
The upper age limit for Air Traffic Controllers is something like 31 to be hired, and at 56, they must retire, or perhaps move to a job in the agency that does not involve actually controlling traffic.

By your mid thirties, they don't feel you have the ability to learn the job well enough, and after 56, you don't have the ability to even do the job safely. Mental fitness is as important in that job as physical fitness is in some others. It really is mental gymnastics, so to speak, particularly in busier positions. The older people often don't have what it takes anymore.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:31 AM

41,643 posts, read 44,893,785 times
If it part of the requiremnt to be fit for the job its not discrimination. The law has many laws that actually have to do with common sense and the job requirements including physical requirements and age sometimes.Many are so as not to put others in danger. Most federal law enfocement actaully have a 55 max retiremnt as does airl;ine pilots last I heard;based on age.Most law enforcement offer retirement after so long a time span regardless of age also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment