U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:58 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,974,324 times
Default snow days

Why is it that students and teachers get the day off when it snows, but just about every other worker has to go to work? Is it more important that teachers and students are safe? Does society not care about the other workers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 AM

2,601 posts, read 5,844,173 times
they dont CALL off school for the teachers, they do it because students ride on buses and it is unsafe for the children...
So other workers should not get it off. If you have time to take and want to stay home then go for it.
But if you dont EVER want to go to work when it snows then be a teacher or move to another state.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:43 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,742,041 times
uh - whether or not you need to go to work depends on the policy of your employer. Schools are run by the local/state government - so they make the decision on that. And since they are also responsible for the safety of those who go there (not employees, but "clients" if you will), they take that into their decision to open/close/delay.

Some organizations piggy back off of those decisions (i.e. private schools, gov. consultants etc.) while others make there own.

My company opened late today because of the weather.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:45 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,497,180 times
Plenty of reasons. Safety of the children for one. Insurance another. While a teacher may or may not have 'off', they aren't usually paid adequately, so that's a tradeoff.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
emh

297 posts, read 548,731 times
Also, in most districts, if there are too many snow days, they add school days onto the end of the school calendar. And which would you rather have off? A nice sunny day or a day where it's too miserable to leave the house?

Old 01-28-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emh View Post
Also, in most districts, if there are too many snow days, they add school days onto the end of the school calendar. And which would you rather have off? A nice sunny day or a day where it's too miserable to leave the house?
I remember the year I graduated high school, we had so many school days off due to winter weather. We got like 3 feet of snow in one storm. Due to those, I graduated on 6/24, and last day of school was 6/28, a Friday. The Philly School district does not go past June 30. That means the school year stretched all the way to the last possible day it could. So the children do pay, in some respects.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emh View Post
I would rather have the day off in June. But this year is an exception...since I am a senior, my last day is May 22 no matter what (our school normally goes until ~June 20). Also, this is my first winter driving so that's another reason I want the day off when it snows. It's not so much a matter of which day you would rather have off, but a safety matter.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:39 AM

5,816 posts, read 14,346,822 times
Just about any employer/agency can choose to close if it wants to, for weather or any reason. The only exceptions I can think of are hospitals, police stations, and the like.
I worked for one company that would let "non-essential staff" stay home if the weather was bad, and we would still get paid.
Now I have a job that is part time, and I make my own hours for the most part. Yesterday and today were bad because of ice, so I stayed home. I was able to work a few hours from home yesterday, and I will work late Friday to make up for the rest of the hours. I'm really glad to have this sort of job.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Just about any employer/agency can choose to close if it wants to, for weather or any reason. The only exceptions I can think of are hospitals, police stations, and the like.
I worked for one company that would let "non-essential staff" stay home if the weather was bad, and we would still get paid.
Now I have a job that is part time, and I make my own hours for the most part. Yesterday and today were bad because of ice, so I stayed home. I was able to work a few hours from home yesterday, and I will work late Friday to make up for the rest of the hours. I'm really glad to have this sort of job.
I work for a company that is open when the stock market is open, because the law demands it. If you can't make it in, you are charged a day off. The work has to get done, and it can't stop for the weather.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
I work for a company that is open when the stock market is open, because the law demands it. If you can't make it in, you are charged a day off. The work has to get done, and it can't stop for the weather.
You make it sound like they don't care if the workers die trying to get to work, they just want the work to get done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment