Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,950,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I hope this administration finds a way to punish companies that send American jobs to other countries. They need to take it in their wallet.
That's ironic. I worked in Engineering and quite a while back, all the Indians came here for jobs. They came here and the jobs went to India and the American Engineers and Designers were out of work. What a kicker. We're in big trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 12:35 PM

8 posts, read 22,196 times
I hate to say it, but in these economic times and for short term individual survival... it's probably a good move to take them up on the offer. Not only will you be versed in your chosen profession, you'll soon become a liaison between the current 'Federallies' (aka American upper echelon) and the customs, culture, and motives of the new SUPER POWER that our corporate leaders are creating.

Now for the long term and US survival... I resent it with a passion. They are creating a new super power and its not us. I've said it before, and I'll say it here, as arrogant as it sounds - scr#w this Global economy cr@p. The American middle class WAS the world economy. As apparent with the overseas headlines. A new super power is in the making and my money is on Putin. (Not that I want it there by any means, just an observation of the worldwide chess game. The Indian's are too polite by culture and genetics, smart as all get out, tho.)

In addition, IBMs (for example) prices we'll have to be lowered because their US customers will no longer be able to afford them and the new super power is paying all a their taxpayers and monetary contributors a lower salary. But, they'll leave that issue for the next generation to work out :}

Oh forgot to mention, I just read that corporations are having a hard time filling IT positions overseas. They've run out of talent over there. Anyone up to opening US sweatshops, yet

Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,780 times
All right let me give you some reality...Im an Indian and I just happened to com across this thread and heres what I have to say:

1.I work as a software engineer here and I earn 1,500,000Rs a year..thats approximately 32k US dollars..now obviously everyone working In the US will be getting paid much more than that.

2.I live in a nice mansion here (80ft x 120ft) In the up town district of the city of bangalore...Thats because land value, cost of building and even hiring a maid and a driver comes dirt cheap...even food and groceries and nearly EVERY household product and Electronic goods are much cheaper....frankly you will be spending 1/10th on living cost In india compared to the US

3.You ask why people go to the US from India for jobs? Say a software engineer gets a job in the US and earns 60k a year...He will work for 2 years, save up, come back to india where he will live like a king as experience in jobs over seas is highly valued and he will get a good job here...Thats what I did and Im taking a dip in my pool when US employess are getting laid off and struggling to cover their motgage.

4.India is not a bad country to live in...Its not a place filled with slums and murderers as the movies seem to portray...More people get murdered in the US than in India.

5.Another problem people may point out is the lack of quality services...You have to understand that in India and every other developing country, money talks and takes you places...Since you will have money, you will get the best services, sometimes even better than in the US whilst paying indian taxes.

6.With money that you wouldnt have spent on living, you can spend on luxury...I am a tech enthusiast and I love buying the latest computers and hardware and electronic gadgets...With money im being paid I have bought my mansion, pool, 52" Bravia LCD screen and 2 more 30" TV's, the latest core i7 computer, a sony vaio laptop, blu-ray player, snooker table, ipod, iphone and a lot more things...You might think im showing off, but all Im saying is you can live a great life here in India...
Oh and i work from moday to friday from 8 am to 3.30 pm weekends off and have a company car and a company blackberry storm with a data plan all expenses paid by the company.

7.Everyone complains that Indians take american jobs but what it really shows is that the companies dont care about nationalities as long as they get talented people who can give the company alot...I blame the US education system for this...It inspires alot of creativity and gives tons of support but you actually dont acquire enough knowledge until you start college...An 8th grade student from india can ace a 12th graders american exam.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
For an American company to do this is absolutely disgusting. Corporate America has sunk to a new low. Maybe the CEO of IBM could move to India and have a full 3rd world salary - ya right!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,689 times
As an IBM retiree (32 Years) I feel very disappointed with the way the company has treated it's stateside employees. In Tom Watson's company, the employee was the company's most valued asset - as stated many times by the company. Now the employee is just another piece of equipment to be discarded when no longer needed.
Watson kept the IBM employees during the depression having them do many jobs to prepare for the ending of hard times. When the ecomony recovered, IBM was in a better position than most companies because of the dedicated employees and the hardware they made in garages and basements - but mostly because the leadership of the company bestowed value to the employees.
That company no longer exists.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:15 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
7.Everyone complains that Indians take american jobs but what it really shows is that the companies dont care about nationalities as long as they get talented people who can give the company alot...I blame the US education system for this...It inspires alot of creativity and gives tons of support but you actually dont acquire enough knowledge until you start college...An 8th grade student from india can ace a 12th graders american exam.[/quote]

I TOTALLY AGREE!! This society treats people like they are babies all the way up to 21! When Benjamin Franklin was apprenticing for his livlihood at 16 years. That is five years of unneccessary coddling...

Last edited by gea12345; 03-27-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 AM

850 posts, read 1,546,235 times
I went to a focus group once at IBM and the man at the front counter said that he was a contractor for the last 27yrs! I asked why they never hired him as a permanent worker and he said that his skin color wasn't dark enough and he wasn't an engineer. I was blown away by that. We support these companies only for them to "Outsource" our jobs to countries for lower wages. Its a sad situation.

I can't blame another race if jobs are coming their way. Blame the companies that are sending our jobs to other countries, shutting down plants where there use to be "Loyalty" from your employer. Its so easy to get caught up in saying oh they are taking our jobs when the real situation is that jobs are being GIVEN TO THEM. I saw something on the news about what "IMACLOWN123" stated and he or she is absolutely correct.

- They live like kings in India
- Have maids
- Wages go along way...etc

Whatever, I don't want to live in India so you can have it, but they stated that the wages and living costs here were just too expensive, so taking their money and job experience back to their home country was simply "dummy proof".

Place the blame on the companies giving our jobs away, not on some race. But I will say this, when I have to call IBM for the company I work for, I hang up if I don't get someone I can understand or speaks english!

Last edited by Sunnnee; 04-03-2009 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-30-2011, 09:43 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,688,411 times
Same way it is more expensive for indian to live in USA rather then american native, still they manage to live here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
Actually the problem with this program is mainly the fact that they get paid Indian wages in India, and ignore the fact it's generally more expensive for an American to live in a third world country than it is for a native. That's why this is a bad deal...if they are willing to pay them some kind of premium such that employees could live a pretty nice life in India it wouldn't be that bad of a deal. Third world countries can be a fabulous place to live if you have the cash.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:57 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I wouldn't move there if the pay was 25 times higher then here. I would rather be unemployed for the rest of my life and stand on street corners with a hat before I go there.

Like some one already said, Im real curious to see if there are any takers.
That's that wonderful non-provincial american attitude that I love to see.

Americans working abroad usually do really well.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
7.Everyone complains that Indians take american jobs but what it really shows is that the companies dont care about nationalities as long as they get talented people who can give the company alot...I blame the US education system for this...It inspires alot of creativity and gives tons of support but you actually dont acquire enough knowledge until you start college...An 8th grade student from india can ace a 12th graders american exam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post

I TOTALLY AGREE!! This society treats people like they are babies all the way up to 21! When Benjamin Franklin was apprenticing for his livlihood at 16 years. That is five years of unneccessary coddling...

100% agree.

I have watched in total horror as every aspect of work and customer service has consistently gone down the toilet. I have heard people say, "It's just a J-O-B," and not take their work seriously. And then they get mad when people who will try harder and work harder get their jobs.

People do crap work in this country and they treat their kids like total morons - guess how they grow up...meanwhile, my cousin in India is doing organic chemistry in the 10th grade and knows how to cook a full meal and run the household and do the shopping and sew her own clothes.

I grew up here, but sometimes I think I should raise my kids elsewhere so they don't turn into giant helpless morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment