Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 13,990 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know that must sound nuts in this economy, but I am thinking about doing it, because my hubby got transferred and I am going nuts without him. It's been several months and I still haven't found a job in the new city (we need both incomes to pay the bills). So should I quit my stable 15-year plus job and pound the pavement of the new city (which has a terrible job market; it's in Fla.)? I don't know what's worse: doing that, or continuing to support two households, going through massive mental and relationship strain, etc. Has anyone ever done this? Gone through this? I am at my wit's end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 09:15 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,174,444 times
I quit my job in January of 2000, right after the bubble popped. Despite having a decent network of industry contacts, I didn't get on with another company (here) until late March - a long and freaky 2 months.

It's probably much worse now.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:16 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,589,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glacierfan View Post
Yes, I know that must sound nuts in this economy, but I am thinking about doing it, because my hubby got transferred and I am going nuts without him. It's been several months and I still haven't found a job in the new city (we need both incomes to pay the bills). So should I quit my stable 15-year plus job and pound the pavement of the new city (which has a terrible job market; it's in Fla.)? I don't know what's worse: doing that, or continuing to support two households, going through massive mental and relationship strain, etc. Has anyone ever done this? Gone through this? I am at my wit's end.
I did it. Luby's will just have to live without me. Ahh, your looking for some sound advice here and all I have to say is that I gambled and lost. I gambled more than I should have, if the truth is to be told. My work history was back when you traded jobs and traded up each time. Never staying with one company for more than two years. I did good and gave myself a dollar an hour wage bonus average over the course of a 10 year span. 2000 hit and that was the end of that fun and games.

However, you on the other hand didn't job shop. You have 15 years experience plus loyalty to show for your efforts. Therefore that makes you, employable. Supporting two households, I honestly don't see how you two are doing it. Then you have to think, if you eliminate one household, hubby can support the one. I'm thinking you could probably get a part time 20-24 hour week job and then volunteer in something you like and feel good about yourself.

It's one of those things. Are you working to live or living to work? If your looking for new adventure, new challenges, new motivation, then pack your bags and head for Florida. Put on a never say die attitude, make your plan and work your plan.

It's not like you haven't done that one before and it has served you well.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:25 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,914,224 times
Market is tough right now, I would try to hold on to the current job until something (anything) opens up in the new place.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,689,611 times
With the way things are now I would hold out alittle while longer to what ya got. My cousin moved to Florida several months ago and is well educated and can't even find a pt job. Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,347,440 times
I would think you need to sit down with a financial counselor (or even just do the free online budget calculators) and see what you are spending NOW to continue this two-city existence. I can't imagine it would not be better to consolidate into one place!
If credit cards are the main issue, then I would suggest consulting with a firm associated with the National Foundation of Credit Counselors (NFCC) and see if they can reduce your monthly payment outlay, at least for a short term as you relocate and get settled.
Obviously only the two of you can decide this, but as you say, your marriage and emotional health are paying a steep price here. I'd rather be dealing with this TOGETHER than apart. Good luck to you!

Old 02-18-2009, 09:59 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
My wife lost/laid off from her accounting job in North Carolina last November. I spent a year there looking for a job with absolutely NO AVAIL. We just thank God that she was making enough salary to support her and I. Fortunately, I was able to collect Emergency Unemployment Comp. twice that really helped out. Before she lost her job, we were talking about moving to Florida (Jacksonville) the first of the year/2009 b/c the drive of 23 miles each way to work was getting to be too much for her ( and we decided not to move over by her job due to crime/etc.). Anyway, after losing her job, we decided to go ahead and make the move to Florida. Three weeks after moving here, she got a 90-day accounting temp-to-perm job in downtown Jax. It pays good and is only 11 miles from our apartment. She doesn't really know, but is fairly confident that the job will go full-time after 90 days. As for me, I'm still looking and looking. But, I haven't got a major college degree like she does!!
So, what do I think? Since most employers don't want to interview/hire someone that lives in a different State/city than they are in, getting a job away from where your are now will be very difficult. But, holding together two households is extremely difficult also and the stress on a marriage of being apart is bad also. I would go to where your husband is......end of story!
Now, this is ONLY IMO!

Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,170 times
Can you afford to live without a job if you're not maintaining two households? The finances might cancel themselves out

Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Couple of other factors - if you move to FL will you have to sell a house? It may be tough to sell and you'll be supporting two households for a year anyway. Is husband's position secure in the long term? If you moved and he got laid off, you'd be in even bigger trouble.

Tough spot.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:07 PM

58 posts, read 167,537 times
Long term unemployment is not fun. When a you get layed off, blame it on the economy, when you quit, blame it on ones self.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment