Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 PM

173 posts, read 968,003 times

Advertisements

I heard these dreaded words yesterday, but I really want the job.
I know I am over qualified, but not by that much!
But, I really like the company, the location, the commute and the corporate culture.
I tried to convey this to the company.
I am hoping my professional contacts are enough to sway the hiring manager.

Has this happened to you before?
Any tips on trying to dumb down your qualifications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Yeah, that happened to me. A $65,000 to $68,000 / year Proe Designer job at Hydril but only for Associate degreed people. - That kinda pay would even make a BSME [me] happy and it was an easy job with great pay, great company, great commute, but a weird pretty woman boss who seemed to hit on her "slaves!....[subordinates]" - I couldn't get in...

I've ran into past engineering coworkers who where former Engineeering Bosses and worked at lower positions instead because they just didn't like the hassle of being an overworked boss! - So tell them stuff like this happens!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:24 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
I've head it before too. I think the worry that employers have is that if you are over-qualified, they think they won't be able to pay you the salary you want, and might not be as challenged in the role - which in the end would result in you leaving once you find a position you do want. Therefore, they avoid the situation since it takes time and money to bring you on and train you.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:13 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
I heard that once. It was the interviewer's attempt at politeness. They weren't going to give me the job, but of course they also weren't going to come right out and say so. Euphemisms are the bane of interviews!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,897,553 times
I simply don't understand why employers take this approach. Sure, there may be concerns that the interviewee is just taking the job while they continue their search. However, if they're a decent interviewer, they should be able to drill down and discover the interviewee's motive. I've been a "finalist" for a couple of positions. And I'm certain that they couldn't believe that I was willing to take a 30% salary reduction. I was. I didn't NEED the job, I WANTED the job. There's a big difference. I'm at the stage of my career that I want to work for a good company, with good people and have a good lifestyle balance. I can bring a wealth of experience without the demands of a huge salary. The total compensation package is more important to many.

In these days when there are sooooo many "overqualified" applicants, I think companies are shortsighted for not taking advantage of their skills, experience and their ability to mentor less senior colleagues.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:59 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I read this online...if they say you may be overqualified you can counter it by saying, "This means I will be able to bring my skills to the job and start off running. I know how to work unsupervised and have experience in the field. By requiring less training, I feel hiring me would be an asset to your company."

Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 AM

173 posts, read 968,003 times
I really hate all of this speculation. And I am sure there will be more to come.
Unfortunately, the hiring manager, who had interviewed me, was simply my "superior" by title or hierarchy.
I have heard and discussed this before: "is the person you are interviewing, a threat to your professional existence"?
I only thought of it on my drive home from the interview.
Because I could easily replace that guy, given the time and the opportunity.
Though I did not come across like that during my interview.
I aced the technical portion of the interview, though I should have tried to "dumb" down my answers.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:27 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I read this online...if they say you may be overqualified you can counter it by saying, "This means I will be able to bring my skills to the job and start off running. I know how to work unsupervised and have experience in the field. By requiring less training, I feel hiring me would be an asset to your company."
That phrase will lose you the job, not because it means you're overqualified, but because the interviewer won't appreciate having his/her cliches spit back. Not only do you have to be more creative than they are, but you have to be slick enough to keep them from thinking that you're also smarter.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:22 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That phrase will lose you the job, not because it means you're overqualified, but because the interviewer won't appreciate having his/her cliches spit back. Not only do you have to be more creative than they are, but you have to be slick enough to keep them from thinking that you're also smarter.
I don't know..the whole thing is like speaking Klingon or something...(trying to say the right thing).

Old 02-19-2009, 04:30 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iarch View Post
I heard these dreaded words yesterday, but I really want the job.
I know I am over qualified, but not by that much!
But, I really like the company, the location, the commute and the corporate culture.
I tried to convey this to the company.
I am hoping my professional contacts are enough to sway the hiring manager.

Has this happened to you before?
Any tips on trying to dumb down your qualifications?
All the time!
Brother, I feel your pain. We are stuck in between. The employment market (as other things in America) became polarized. At the very top you need a ton of credentials and the bottom is mostly payed by the hour and is occupied by the poor. The middle layer with annual salaries between $40K-60K was decimated.
Yes, you can degrade your professional experience and education, but you need a different resume. If they catch you, it will be unpleasant. My friend did that and they had another resume of his (which they got from a head hunter) and it looked bad. If you do that, you need to be very cautious and never broadcast your resume in places like Monster. Also there may be a problem with headhunters. Another hassle is getting recommendations for jobs you didn't perform and have people acknowledge that over the phone to the employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment