Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 07:39 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,734,730 times

Advertisements

I was terminated last Friday from my job at a call center.
I went home and filled out applications, one of which was for Wal-Mart.
The next day I received a call asking if I could come in for an interview. They seemed pretty accommodating for the interview, "Will mornings or afternoons be better for you?" The afternoons are better for me since I'm a full time college student...I even put that I'm a student on my application since they ask if you're one.

My interview was at 3 pm, all went well and I received the job.

I received a call yesterday (while I was in class) that orientation is at 8am Friday. I asked my mom if she thought there was any way they can change it (since she works for Sam's Club) and she said it's possible but she wasn't sure. She told me to call back and see if I could speak to the woman who left the message. I called but she had already left for the day.

I called a few minutes ago to see if orientation was held at any other time and she said, "No, orientation is always at 8am."
Ugh.
I basically have to miss all my classes tomorrow (including a lab).

I would be fine if orientation was held on a Saturday or a Sunday but...nope...it just has to be at 8am.
They knew/know my availability yet orientation is held at 8am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,099,662 times
I doubt that you were the only applicant that Walmart hired for that orientation. They could accommodate you on the hours you were able to work, but for things like orientation, where more people are involved, it's more like an English or Math class at school. The college professor isn't going to arrange one class just to suit you.

If you really need the job, you had better get used to doing things according to what the employer wants, not what is convenient for you.

So, you are right in a way......it's a bad sign. Either you show up, or look for work somewhere else.

I certainly hope that you find something good soon. Money isn't everything, but it sure helps with everything else, doesn't it! Good luck!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:57 AM

311 posts, read 913,204 times
I know its not going to be your "career", but like the other poster says, when you work for someone you do things to their convenience, not your own.
With todays world, if you lost your job and found another the next day, even if it is Walmart, you should be jumping for JOY. There are lots and LOTS of folks out here that have been without work for months and arent even getting called for interviews, let alone getting the job. You can make up the school work time and even the lab time, so get to that orientation class and dig in, good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I would be fine if orientation was held on a Saturday or a Sunday but...nope...it just has to be at 8am.
They knew/know my availability yet orientation is held at 8am.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,627,961 times
Companies generally have their orientation set for a particular day/time of the week, and everyone who gets hired during that time will attend the next orientation. Keep in mind, this orientation is for everyone, not just you - so if there were 20 people hired, imagine the company having to contact 20 people seperately to try to coordinate a time that is convenient for everyone for orientation. Not possible, so they have a set time and everyone hired has to attend it at that time.

I used to work for a company that did their orientation once a month, and I started just after they had one, so I was working there for almost a month before I went to my orientation.

It stinks you have to miss your class(es), but sometimes you just to decide if the job is worth missing the classes and whether you can make up the work.

Last option, they might have weekly orientation scheduled, so if you couldn't miss class this week because of a test or something, you might be able to ask if you can attend the next orientation. Not sure if it will work, but it's a possible option.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:41 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,734,730 times
I understand where you're all coming from.
I already made up my mind to miss class but for my math class I'll just go talk with the professor before class.
As for my lab, I may go in Saturday (provided I don't have to work) and make it up.

I am happy I received the job and I'm not ungrateful. Trust me.
I plan to stay there throughout college ::crosses fingers::.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,424,020 times
Good for you - go hustle and do what you have to do. Latest figures indicate that 5 million Americans are now unemployed so do what you have to do. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment