Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 05:46 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times

Advertisements

If Junior gets hired, its easy cake too prove they are related, but how do you prove thats the reason they got hired?

If Junior has a BA and no experience and I have a Masters with 3 years and an apprenticeship, that alone implies something doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 06:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
If Junior gets hired, its easy cake too prove they are related, but how do you prove thats the reason they got hired?

If Junior has a BA and no experience and I have a Masters with 3 years and an apprenticeship, that alone implies something doesn't it?
And what would be the point in "proving" nepotism anyway? The last I heard that wasn't a crime. Unless the position is filed with the local Labor Department and specifically states that an applicant MUST have a specific degree and a specific length of previous employment in the same field, it's perfectly legal for a company to hire who it wants on their team based on many factors. Cheers!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:17 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,637,747 times
Quote:

Well, without knowing the whole story, there could be other factors that come into play. Maybe his education is more relevant for the position? Maybe they like his motivation and feel he can progress fast and become an asset to the company? Not saying your not right, but it could be possible there were other reasons that your not aware of?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
Quote:

It's a difficult battle to win. Favoritism goes on in companies all the time. I think I would just keep my head down.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
So prove it and the results will be? Most likely you will be fired. It is not illegal, an employer can hire anyone they want for any reason, and conversely they can fire any employee for any reason.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:52 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,734 times
Quote:

Nepotism is definitely hard to prove. If you try and prove it, it might backfire on you and they could make your life miserable. Be careful.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
If this is a family business . . . of course Junior is going to be hired making more money than you - or anyone else, most likely, LOL!!!

I have worked for several family businesses over my career and we all just assumed Junior would make more money than the rest of us, despite our having graduate degrees, years of experience and his being a dumbass. One such Junior was even made VP, given a company car, etc. The other Junior not only was made VP, but was a trustafarian at 21, so his home was fabulous, took exotic vacations (and we had to cover for him) and he treated us all like slaves, even tho we were his senior, not only in age, but experience and education.

If you don't like dealing with it . . . nothing to do but move on.

I get the feeling you don't work at this company- but rather - the kid got the job and you didn't? If that is so . . . move on. You can't fight City Hall.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-23-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
like others have said - nepotism isn't illegal. Albeit many larger companies will have policies against it. In those environments, you simply log a complaint with your HR dept and they should investigate. But again, as others have indicated, it may come back and bite you.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:26 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I've seen nepotism but in some cases, Junior gets ragged on because he is the boss's son!

People think just because you are related to a so and so you get treated better...not always true. Sometimes they go out of their way to show you do not get better treatment!!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:53 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I've seen nepotism but in some cases, Junior gets ragged on because he is the boss's son!
Yea, but remember while you might be 'showing Jr. the ropes' today, you will be working FOR him in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment