Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:39 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamster Recruiter View Post
I have job opportunities for UNION TEAMSTER DRIVING jobs
paid benefits and a Pension
Home everyday if not every 3 days

Chris/ Recruiter
(708) 753-2830 EXT 2830 Work
No, he don"t Trucking companies that have union drivers promote from with in. They do not hire off the street to a person that just finished truck driving school. My former sonic law was a Teamster stewart, and worked for USF Holland. So don't believe this guy. To work for a major trucking company like Roadway, or USF Holland or UPS you need many years experience of driving a semi. And have a clean CDL with a Hazmat endorsement. So this person is blowing smoke up your butts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 04:48 AM

89 posts, read 131,942 times
Sorry for asking, some people say that if you buy your own trucks and hire some people you will get profit without working a lot, because others work for you, other people say because of taxes, fuel etc.. you won't make any profit so it's better to work for a company. Which option do you think is the best nowadays ?
Also, I wanted to know: what drivers make most money ? The ones that have long routes (LA to NY let's say) or the ones that work close to home ?

Last edited by Adrini; 07-23-2014 at 05:02 AM..

Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
Sorry for asking, some people say that if you buy your own trucks and hire some people you will get profit without working a lot, because others work for you, other people say because of taxes, fuel etc.. you won't make any profit so it's better to work for a company. Which option do you think is the best nowadays ?
Also, I wanted to know: what drivers make most money ? The ones that have long routes (LA to NY let's say) or the ones that work close to home ?
It is very expensive to be an owner operator.

LTL (less than truckload) drivers tend to make more than drivers with other types of trucking, but you need experience to get these long haul jobs / over the road jobs. Team drivers can make the most overall because they switch driving with one another to cover longer distances more efficiently. Overall, long distance driving tends to pay more than running locally in your area day to day.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:39 AM

89 posts, read 131,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
It is very expensive to be an owner operator.
I don't understand, so truck driving companies are broke or what ? Don't they make a bigger profit than drivers ? Sorry for my ignorance on the topic, I'm just trying to learn.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:27 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,771,834 times
Quote:
I don't understand, so truck driving companies are broke or what ? Don't they make a bigger profit than drivers ? Sorry for my ignorance on the topic, I'm just trying to learn.
If the trucking company is small (fewer than 20-30 trucks as an example), and has owner operators work for it then, when there are large increases in gas prices, small companies that run on a very thin profit may easily go out of business. Owner operators themselves have the same problem with owning one truck. The semis themselves are very expensive to purchase and maintain. Many trucking companies fail and some are the reasons are being small, and when costs fluctuate considerably, a small company can only absorb a loss for so long. Larger trucking companies can absorb loss much easier, just because of their sheer size. Just for the sake of risk, for someone seeking a first-time job to drive trucks, it is better to start with a company first.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
If the trucking company is small (fewer than 20-30 trucks as an example), and has owner operators work for it then, when there are large increases in gas prices, small companies that run on a very thin profit may easily go out of business. Owner operators themselves have the same problem with owning one truck. The semis themselves are very expensive to purchase and maintain. Many trucking companies fail and some are the reasons are being small, and when costs fluctuate considerably, a small company can only absorb a loss for so long. Larger trucking companies can absorb loss much easier, just because of their sheer size. Just for the sake of risk, for someone seeking a first-time job to drive trucks, it is better to start with a company first.
Big trucking companies that are teamsters charge a fuel surcharge and carry both LTL with their city trucks and hire owner operators for their long haul runs. It is very hard to get into a Union trucking company now.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:15 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
The number one rule of making money in trucking is this:
It ain't where you haul, it's what you haul.

Cheap freight doesn't pay much, regardless of how far you haul it. Specialized freight and commodities pay much better.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:28 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Trucking is DAMN hard work and steering the rig is only a small part of it...
Boy ain't that the truth!

We drivers are the only in-person point of contact for shippers and consignees (and law enforcement, and the public...), so the importance of people skills cannot be overstated.

OP, know that our industry is heavily over-regulated at all levels of government. You will spend a significant amount of time doing paperwork, even if your truck has electronic logging software & satellite communications (Qualcomm and the like).

Also, OP, you should know that the trucking business revolves around the shippers (it's a perpetual buyers' market). Freight rates are cut-throat, so service is the main selling point that any carrier has to offer.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:22 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,732,034 times
Unless the wife also gets a CDL and drives team, she'll only be considered as a "rider", and most companies have limits or prohibit that all together.

The great thing about driving is that after you get some experience under your belt, you can get a local job and be "normal". I drove OTR at my first job that put me out for 2 weeks at a time. After a year I got a "regional" job and was only out for 4-7 days.

Then I quit driving for a whole year, and out of boredom took a 20hr per week local job (part-time) with FULL teamsters benefits. Not too shabby!

It's relatively easy work, doesn't break your back and anyone who survives the early learning curve will have a career for life.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:18 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Boy ain't that the truth!

We drivers are the only in-person point of contact for shippers and consignees (and law enforcement, and the public...), so the importance of people skills cannot be overstated.

OP, know that our industry is heavily over-regulated at all levels of government. You will spend a significant amount of time doing paperwork, even if your truck has electronic logging software & satellite communications (Qualcomm and the like).

Also, OP, you should know that the trucking business revolves around the shippers (it's a perpetual buyers' market). Freight rates are cut-throat, so service is the main selling point that any carrier has to offer.

This has always been an Achilles heel of mine and has turned me into a sort-of job hopper when it comes to the profession.
Luckily there are also yard driving jobs available after a few years of doing the OTR thing where you're just shuttling trailers back and forth between a few yards.
Keep to yourself, turn in your things at the end of the night and that's it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment