Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:35 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrini View Post
Sorry for asking, some people say that if you buy your own trucks and hire some people you will get profit without working a lot, because others work for you, other people say because of taxes, fuel etc.. you won't make any profit so it's better to work for a company. Which option do you think is the best nowadays ?
Also, I wanted to know: what drivers make most money ? The ones that have long routes (LA to NY let's say) or the ones that work close to home ?
The best paying job that I hear about is Walmart. They can make close to 100k.

UPS is good too, I hear.

In general, the more years of experience you have, the higher your mile pay rate. An old-timer can make .50 a mile, and run 2500-3000 miles per week pretty routinely.

Teams that run coast-to-coast can really rake in the money. Most of the longer dedicated routes are assigned to teams.

If you get a lot of years in and have a good driving/safety record, you can get a local teamster job doing grocery store deliveries That is a popular gig that'll get you home daily. Teamsters pays by the hour, so if you are delayed for any reason you get paid while you wait. Pay rate is $20-$25 per hour with VERY good health bennies and a pension. And you get paid overtime depending on the hours you work.

I drive part-time for a teamsters operation and some of the guys have been there for over 40 years. They know they have it made and wouldn't leave for any other job. The union keeps everyone on their best behavior as well. There isn't much "worker abuse" going on like there is in non-union operations.

And as good a job as this is, WE ARE STILL SHORT HANDED!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment