Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 04:28 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,579 times

Advertisements

I've never really been in this situation before -- my last job started everyone out at the same salary. It was an entry level position out of college. Anyways, so I just received a job offer but the salary is a little lower than what I was expecting. It's a base + commission job so there's good potential there. But being that my position (recruitment) heavily depends on the financial success of other companies (our clients) I would prefer to have my base be a little higher, in the event that, like so many other companies these days, a client freezes hiring.

I'm a little nervous about presenting a counteroffer though. For one, I'm out of work and the last thing I wanna do is have them say no and then leave me jobless still. Secondly, I'm not even sure how I would approach it. They're expecting a call on Friday with my decision to accept or decline. I don't know how to phrase it if I do decide to ask for more. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 04:43 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Your negotiating higher wages is not going to be construed as a declination of the offer. Just ask "Is there any room for negotiation in the base compensation?". If they say no, you did not lose anything. Nothing in that question is an indication that you are not interested. You may hear a response that says they have really tightened up the budget and that is all the budget allows. Personally, I'd take it. I took a 30% pay cut 2 years ago, with very little hope of salary increases, let alone a bonus. Signs of the times unfortunately. Somebody else is right behind you willing to take up that offer.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:47 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,579 times
Thanks for the reply. That's the part I'm worried about, the someone else right behind me. In this market, I'm beyond thankful to even have an offer to begin with.

I do really like the way you phrased the question, I think I'll say exactly that!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:47 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
This is the toughest one there is, in my opinion. If you want the job, regardless, you obviously have to be careful with the counter. One method of "middle of the road" is to openly state that it's a lower salary than you had anticipated, but it's not necessarily a dealbreaker.

You can ask when your first salary review would be. If it's a year, you might counter and say "The starting salary is lower than I was expecting, but I have a lot to offer this position. Can we agree that you'll work on an x% salary increase if I'm exceeding your expectations in 6 months?" If they agree, make sure that your written offer is amended and that you immediately set the metrics with your manager. Obviously, this still has some risk to it, but not so bad as an outright counter offer.

Ultimately, it comes down to the question of what's more important to you- getting the job or making a bit more in salary.

Google "salary negotiations," "negotiating salary" or "salary counter offers." You'll have plenty of places to visit.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:03 PM

303 posts, read 1,560,936 times
I would take the safe route if I were you. There's alot of people that are looking for jobs and they could have someone else in mind. I think you should low-ball the offer, then when the economy picks up, make your move towards a higher paying job.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:25 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
This is the toughest one there is, in my opinion. If you want the job, regardless, you obviously have to be careful with the counter. One method of "middle of the road" is to openly state that it's a lower salary than you had anticipated, but it's not necessarily a dealbreaker.

You can ask when your first salary review would be. If it's a year, you might counter and say "The starting salary is lower than I was expecting, but I have a lot to offer this position. Can we agree that you'll work on an x% salary increase if I'm exceeding your expectations in 6 months?" If they agree, make sure that your written offer is amended and that you immediately set the metrics with your manager. Obviously, this still has some risk to it, but not so bad as an outright counter offer.

Ultimately, it comes down to the question of what's more important to you- getting the job or making a bit more in salary.

Google "salary negotiations," "negotiating salary" or "salary counter offers." You'll have plenty of places to visit.
I like this approach. I don't think I have ever accepted an offer where I did not first negotiate. Only one was where they stuck with the original amount. With my current job, I asked just that question. They came back with an offer of a sign on bonus after 6 months. The downside of a sign on is that it's a one time grant so that the following year, you're back to the original amount barring a salary increase. However, that gives them time to assess your performance, prepare a budget for increases, etc. I know I at least have to pitch that...it worked for me all the time with one exception. I think that with the exception, because all other rules were already broken to get me in the position, including relocation assistance for which another candidate may not have been offered, probably maxed out the compensation package.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Entry level jobs out of college, just starting, - tend to suck unless you were a lucky grad offered a good career starting professional job from campus recruiting!

Me, 1st engineering related job out of college, after 1 yr of not finding one in the Gen X Era of 1992 - a miserable $10/hr doing ISO9000 documentation. Yeah, you think your job sucks?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
If you get an offer that states you will be compensated upwards after like a 6 month trial period, get this in writing. I worked for once place that said they would give me a raise in 6 months. After 9 months I asked about this... they balked... they did not want to give me the raise of course. Even though I more than did the job well, in fact I was highly over qualified. They did acquiesce and give me another .25 an hour... woohooo.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
In today's world you have to figure how much better is it than a salary of $0.00?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
I would make it all about the math...

I think this is the perfect job for me . I know I can do a great job for you
and I am excited about working here. (let them see your enthusiasm...
brag about their company) but.... the salary is a bit lower than what I need to make ends meet. If it is the best offer I will need to rework my budget to see if I can make it work. If they come back the next day and say they cannot up the pay you can say you have figured out a way to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment