Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:23 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times

Advertisements

Why would you do anything? Dealing with other people is part of any job. I work with a women who wants to talk about her son's problems in college every day. I REALLY don't care about that. I find it obnoxious that she stands in my office doorway talking about something that has nothing to do with me every few days, taking up my time. But what can you do?

This issue is the exact same as any other issue where someone talks about something personal in the workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 07:40 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Why would you do anything? Dealing with other people is part of any job. I work with a women who wants to talk about her son's problems in college every day. I REALLY don't care about that. I find it obnoxious that she stands in my office doorway talking about something that has nothing to do with me every few days, taking up my time. But what can you do?

This issue is the exact same as any other issue where someone talks about something personal in the workplace.
You have allowed it to continue, you have trained that person to vent to you, and only you can break that habit.

EVERY time it starts, you need to say "excuse me, but I need to get this done" or use that opportunity to go to the bathroom, go make copies, etc. Like breaking a dog from a bad habit, you must stop them EVERY time they start.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You have allowed it to continue, you have trained that person to vent to you, and only you can break that habit.

EVERY time it starts, you need to say "excuse me, but I need to get this done" or use that opportunity to go to the bathroom, go make copies, etc. Like breaking a dog from a bad habit, you must stop them EVERY time they start.
Sometimes you have to put up with crap to stay on someone's good side. I have found if you stay on someone's good side in their personal life and they will do nearly anything for you in their professional life.

It bugs the hell out of me, but she thinks I enjoy it and when I need something from her, I get it right away...I wish things didn't work that way, but they do.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:00 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Daydream...
You say, "Since we're talking about such personal things, what's your favorite sex position?"

For those whose religion calls on them to "witness," isn't there some limitation on where and when one does so? Like the workplace isn't a place for all sorts of conversations that are appropriate elsewhere?
I have co-workers (subordinates, mostly West Africans) who try to push their belief on me, as witnessing, not discussing. I am very clear to them that I am atheist and their discussions are frankly childish (which they are). Now, I know matters of faith don't lend themselves to logic (an understatement) so there really isn't much "discussion."
I can't imagine how it would be if managers, etc., talked this talk. It would seem utterly inappropriate to me.
One peer, J, is a very close friend, who is a committed Christian (and does not witness, at least not at work). I enjoy asking her things about her beliefs (not arguing) and always preface it with, "If I may ask..." and "please excuse me if this sounds terribly ignorant..."
She is still wrestling with her belief in eternal salvation and her concurrent feeling that I will not be going to hell. She can't articulate why I'm not going. I think it's logic- she likes me. I try to be a good person in the world. I'm an atheist. DOES NOT COMPUTE

Old 05-21-2010, 08:01 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
. Either way, dealing with overly religious people is rarely fun.
The obvious course of action is to resign and find work with fellow unbelievers who share your world value system.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The obvious course of action is to resign and find work with fellow unbelievers who share your world value system.
And I have!!! I work with 5 (that I know of so far...) confirmed Atheists. Plus, I don't, and absolutely WILL NOT, live in the bible belt. Here in CA, people are pretty accepting of your beliefs, or lack thereof.

Yes, I would resign if the entire office was full of bible thumpers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment