U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:47 AM

330 posts, read 520,865 times
gea12345:

It is very common for independent contractors in the Transportation industry to be paid weekly. That's just one example. You may not have seen or experienced weekly pay because it depends on the industry and job type you are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 AM

948 posts, read 2,363,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I would prefer weekly but most companies do not do this any more. My husband is paid bimonthly and it can be horrible when all the bills are due in the beginning of the month and the pay check comes in on the 8th...

The last few jobs I have held were bi-monthly (paid every other week).

I thought bi-monthly meant every 2 months and bi weekly meant every 2 weeks.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 AM

948 posts, read 2,363,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Would you please list some jobs that are paid weekly.... I have NO experience with this over 30 years,,,except temp jobs. Please enlighten??

Retail sales jobs! Like Macys, Nordstroms, Dillards etc

Old 03-16-2009, 12:03 PM

21,536 posts, read 16,166,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaFierce View Post
I have been getting paid on a weekly basis for more than five years. In my opinion i think it's easier to manage bills and money when paid on a weekly basis. I would like to here your thoughts, comments and suggestions, as i'm new to the Dallas,Tx area and would like to find a job that pays on a weekly basis.
I had jobs when I was paid weekly. For 34 years I was paid twice a month. Now that I'm retired, I'm paid a once a month pension.

I like once a month because bills are once a month and I pay all of my monthly bills at the same time, once a month. I find it easier to manage.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:34 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,094,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
I thought bi-monthly meant every 2 months and bi weekly meant every 2 weeks.
Sorry you may be right...I kind of thought biweekly meant 'twice a week.' I should look it up.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:38 PM

309 posts, read 630,279 times
It can refer to both. Typically bi-monthy in pay is twice a month. There may be exceptions, but that is how we do it at the University at which I am employed. Bi-Weekly employees, paid every two weeks. I work in the HR department though, not payroll.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:50 PM

8,410 posts, read 9,195,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Would you please list some jobs that are paid weekly.... I have NO experience with this over 30 years,,,except temp jobs. Please enlighten??
I'll try to help here...I'm retired now but I worked for 40 years in the printing field and all but one job I had paid weekly..I worked at one job doing the same thing and they paid twice a month, I worked there for a year and said I would never get paid that way again..I was young at that time and could not seem to manage the money to well that way..

Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,432,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Sorry you may be right...I kind of thought biweekly meant 'twice a week.' I should look it up.

Semi Monthly= means Twice a month

Bi Monthly= Every 2 months

Old 03-16-2009, 01:58 PM

309 posts, read 630,279 times
From: bimonthly - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

Quote:
Main Entry:
1bi·month·ly
Pronunciation:
\(ˌ)bī-ˈmən(t)th-lē\
Function:
adjective
Date:
1 : occurring every two months
2 : occurring twice a month : semimonthly
It can mean both.

Also, bi-weekly can be used to refer to Twice a month OR twice a week.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:43 PM

2,365 posts, read 7,459,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgtfc View Post
From: bimonthly - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

It can mean both.

Also, bi-weekly can be used to refer to Twice a month OR twice a week.

hhmm thanks!! i ran home to answer this question....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment