Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:39 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
OK You sound to me to be all the things you accuse her of being and you also seem to want her to cave in to your advice since you're so insulting and it's no longer about really answering her question or being at all helpful. She doesn't need to take your advice just because you give it, and it's not written in stone that it will work.

She already said she has the support of her supervisor(s) and I have a feeling that the others left because of this person and I think the supervisors are happy that Mir shows strength not to leave. A receptionist's job is not hard to find, and Mir doesn't have to stay there. No one likes or respects a butt-kisser.
I agree with you she does not have to take my advise, but you got to admit her plan stinks. Maybe your advise is good. I did not read your advise, I just think her attitude stinks. I also stand by my advise, someone who is older and worked with all different types most people would agree with my advise. If your in your 40s or 50s I am sure you would get my advise better than to ignore her advise. It seems the older you get the wiser you get. Sorry I am not changing my position, she does not have to listen, I agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 05:32 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I used to work with a person like this well I started to ignore her and then she started cussing at me and saying stuff like "When I am looking for a file dont you dare sit on your arse " . I was appauled and went immediately to the office manager and she did nothing to this woman because she simply had been there twenty something years . She also had a habit of talking to her husband this way as well , I overheard a convo btwn the two of them in the office one day . she constantly brought her problems to work with her and was never said anything to . She was also personal friends with the owner of the business so I guess that says alot too . I just finally ended up leaving and found another job i liked really well so i guess I was lucky but this woman made my time there a complete he*l . So I would say unless you are willing to put up with her you might want to find another job where you are more comfortable . I wish you luck .

Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 PM

335 posts, read 1,113,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I love that great attitude, team players, nice co worker, sorry you sound like an angry bitc@. You will be out of a job with this attitude and plan. Why do you think it will back fire on her?? Maybe it will on you? This is bullcrap, you have a terrible attitude and I am glad your not my co-worker. You work in social services you said , or mental health, sounds like you need it. YOur writting it down to give to your supervisor, lady your supervisor has better things to do than this crap. Please you sound like a nut, and angry nut.

I could give two sh*t about your opinion of me. I've been at this job for over a year and a half. Not once has my supervisor said anything negative about me. Actually he says I'm the best receptionist he has had working for him. So will I be out of a job?? Not anytime soon. Something that is even funnier is that my supervisor has given me a great recommedation for a promotion.

I'm not going to LET ANYONE make my job miserable just because she doens't understand that I don't want anything to do with her on a personal level.

So yup I'm learning the hard way.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I've been a receptionist for a very long time, and this is one of the trickiest jobs to manage because it takes a great deal of psychology, finesse, and "games" to perform this job well, whether it's with the public OR co-workers. I could write a book on what I've learned.

Lots of people talk to me all day long. It's a curse of reception work (if one wants to look at it that way; personally, I'm grateful that people want to talk to me). If I'm in the middle of something with a deadline, I make the conversation short or just tell 'em that I have to concentrate on what I'm doing. They all understand.

I have learned more crap about people's personal lives than I care to know. We had one gal at the service counter who thrived on chaos, and she constantly talked about herself to the point that I wanted to hide under my desk when I saw her coming. But I listened to her, anyway. In return, she was helpful to me with certain things.

I can appreciate your need to be private. But you need be private only about yourself. I think you're a bit too anti-social for your job, because you HAVE to have some interest in people to make receptioning work well. You may do better as a receptionist in a medical office, because those position don't seem to inspire as much socializing as in other places. But I have noticed an occasional patient taking up the receptionist's time to talk about her situation (health). Again, it's that psychology thing.
I'm just anti social to her. I have a great relationship with everyone else in the office. Another thing about my job is that we don't get much visitors. the case managers usually see the clients out in the field. But the visitors aren't the problem. I'm a very nice person. But i reserve the right to be nice to those who really appreciate it.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
OK You sound to me to be all the things you accuse her of being and you also seem to want her to cave in to your advice since you're so insulting and it's no longer about really answering her question or being at all helpful. She doesn't need to take your advice just because you give it, and it's not written in stone that it will work.

She already said she has the support of her supervisor(s) and I have a feeling that the others left because of this person and I think the supervisors are happy that Mir shows strength not to leave. A receptionist's job is not hard to find, and Mir doesn't have to stay there. No one likes or respects a butt-kisser.
You are absolutely right about this!!! The previous receptionists had very volatile relationships with this person. I rather not go thru the back and forth love/hate bullsh*t they went thru. Excuse me for not liking the history and making sure it doesn't repeat itself with me. I KNOW my supervisor and co-workers appreciate this as well.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Seems like she is trying to be private about herself, but a coworker is pushing things. She also didn't mention problems with the clientele, but problems with a coworker who has boundary issues.
I've never had any problems with the clients or any of the other co-workers. Just her! But she can not say the same thing.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
you are causing too much crap, despite you are not the one starting it, your involved and your just a receptionist easily replaced by someone quiet and not angry and FRIENDLY , who is not writting everything thing down to tell the supervisor. This my dear trust me is going to be your downfall. You will be humbled soon. Ohh well when your young you have to learn the hard way.

You say I'm causing crap. How? Because I don't want to have any type of conversation with her unless it is work related??

As long as I do my work and do it well. What is the problem?

Old 03-20-2009, 04:34 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default I have a similar problem

which I posted 2 weeks ago on the relationships forum the thread is called "I would post this". Check it out if you're interested. I was going to post it in the work/employment section here but chose inetad to do it under relationships since it was more of an interpersonal problem as opposed to work. however now i realize I should have posted it here. Same formula different ingredients

Old 03-20-2009, 04:42 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir_ny View Post
I'm just anti social to her. I have a great relationship with everyone else in the office. Another thing about my job is that we don't get much visitors. the case managers usually see the clients out in the field. But the visitors aren't the problem. I'm a very nice person. But i reserve the right to be nice to those who really appreciate it.
That's definitely one thing about our jobs ~ we're around all kinds, aren't we? Mine's a receptionist for a government office. Boy, oh, boy! But I do think that the biggest challenges (people) are the internal ones.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:10 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default Problem with co-worker

I would post this
------------------------------------------------------------------------
in the employment job forums but this is really more of an interpersonal issue and the job board is filled with things about unemployment so i thought this would be a more appropriate board to post this

This involves an extremely annoying female co-worker(she's my age 47 and I'm a male) who started at my job 5 years ago on a part time basis and also was interning with us for a bachelor's degree at the time.

we work at a day treatment program for the mentally ill. i have been there since 1990. although i have never grown to the point of being a 'manager" per se (I'm too introverted for that but I have a lot of energy, drive and commitment), i have grown laterally and was just given a big raise 2 months ago after 2 other clinicians were canned for misconduct

because i have been at this company for sooo long, i know every dirty interpersonal trick in the book played by enemy co-workers and as a result isolate myself from many staff at the company. i never attend the holiday parties and have not since the late 90's because i felt backstabbed by so many people i decided if i was to survive in this environment i was going to isolate myself from as many people as possible. i do what i have to do in my new job (I am now the head clinician in charge of a unit with 130 clients and 15 staff), try to do it well, and nothing else matters other than the staff i know and trust(yes i have several people who i trust). i just can't be bothered with anyone else or their manipulative crap on this job. one thing i have learned is to never ever let people bait me with generalizations. if they cannot be specific, they are not worth my time and i will not spend any time figuring out what they want and the burden is on them. i live by this motto each and every day

well 5 years ago i don't know why but i made the mistake of having lunch with this woman 2-3 times and telling her i was single. i don't know why i did that since i never had any interest in her other than maybe, maybe being "just friends" but i realized that would not work because she's too self centered and shallow.

to make a long story short, this woman thinks i am interested in her and interprets my indifference and lack of interest in her as "he's just shy, i'll change his ways". i know this because at least two of my close confidants told me they think she is interested in me

this woman is the type whose mouth has to be running on the 24/7, if she has to be alone sitting by herself she starts getting impatient and throwing a tantrum or creating drama, on at least two occasions she accused me of "harrassment" when i walked past her without saying hello (when the fact is i do say hello, it's just that a mere 'hello" is never enough for her) because i was preoccupied with something. she even threatened to go to a supervisor and accused me of "not doing my job" when i didn't take a lunch break when her and the others did. I promptly reported her to my supervisor and he in turn had a word with her. it worked too, for several months she left me alone, but eventually she started up her old ways again.

what aggravates me is how busy i am during the course of the day and how she basically socializes all day when she is not doing her regular tasks. she continues to bother me to talk to her and i have no interest in her. she asks me for office supplies and i tell her to go to staff x or staff y to get them, then she distracts my attention and takes my office supplies (as a way of getting me to go over to her and ask for it back) and never returns them

This woman has resigned from the job multiple times and then she comes back. She left us in the fall (heaven for me) but returned to us just today to get fingerprinted because she's starting today (he**) again.

her boundaries are terrible. i'm told she has poor social skills which is surprising because she has 3 kids and you'd think that someone with kids would have some social graces. there are other incidents which i won't go into because they are just more of the same

the problem is i have difficulty standing up to this woman. i am intimidated by the angry hurt look on her face and even at 47 i still choose to be intimidated by this type of character (i know i know, my mom was a bit like this so maybe i haven't gotten over it yet)

so i am posting this since i will be working with this person again and am seeking some advice on how i can better deal with this type of person. in particular i am seeking the advice of a mature woman who can shed some light on this(guys welcome too but please don't tell me to "go for it" because i'm not interested!!)

if i had to be bluntly honest, i think the deal is if she is attracted to me she is just looking for a passive wimp to entrap and then enslave because no one else is interested in her

[+] Rate this post positively

**this is what I posed on the relationships board 2 weeks ago. i did not include the responses. You can check out what other posters said if you'd like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment