Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job on March 3, 2009 and I was checking my email and today I get a email saying

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your recent application for the position of Electronic Marketing Assistant at the Greater Philadelphia Cultural Alliance. We received over 300 applications, and the process was extremely competitive. Based on our current needs for the position, we are unable to offer you an interview at this time. I'm sorry that this was not a fit but wish you every success in your search.

Is this not a POINTLESS email? I mean I would have pretty much figured I was not selected after never receiving a phone. I should email the person back and ask are they on medication-lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 12:16 PM

50 posts, read 173,045 times
This is not new...

Old 03-18-2009, 12:16 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,646 times
Umm....... this is standard

Old 03-18-2009, 12:19 PM

Oh well I thought it was new because I thought people were to busy contacting applicants they wanted to interview to send a email like that.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 PM

50 posts, read 173,045 times
Some companies like to send a mass email to applicants that they chose not to interview so that the applicants do not call/email for updates all the time. I know that you seem to get call backs for interviews within a couple days of applying, but most of the interviews I get are about 2-3 weeks after applying so I can't just assume that I was not selected. I think this depends on the type of industry, or size of the company, and I have noticed that different types of jobs have different hiring procedures, which is something that you need to keep in mind.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:26 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
At least they let you know. Better than to daydream and goof off hoping you'll still hear from them.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwightKShrute View Post
Some companies like to send a mass email to applicants that they chose not to interview so that the applicants do not call/email for updates all the time. I know that you seem to get call backs for interviews within a couple days of applying, but most of the interviews I get are about 2-3 weeks after applying so I can't just assume that I was not selected. I think this depends on the type of industry, or size of the company, and I have noticed that different types of jobs have different hiring procedures, which is something that you need to keep in mind.

I just can't understand why someone would call after sending their resume. Talk about desperation. There is no need for anyone to contact a employer after that sent their resume. I applied for a job last friday which I feel I;m very qualified for and it's only 10 min away but they haven't called yet and I don't plan on calling them asking-"just trying to make sure my resume was received"

Old 03-18-2009, 12:28 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Oh well I thought it was new because I thought people were to busy contacting applicants they wanted to interview to send a email like that.
The other day you said you wanted a rejection by email......AND YOU GOT IT!! WTF is your deal other than not being employed currently? If your personality is a representative of how you are on this website.....which can be filtered.......it's no wonder you aren't getting anywhere.

You complain WAY too much. You want everything your way and if it's the slightest bit inconvenient for you it's their issue. You read like a narcissist and I don't mean to be rude (or a potted plant ) but you really need to settle down. Seriously.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I just can't understand why someone would call after sending their resume. Talk about desperation. There is no need for anyone to contact a employer after that sent their resume. I applied for a job last friday which I feel I;m very qualified for and it's only 10 min away but they haven't called yet and I don't plan on calling them asking-"just trying to make sure my resume was received"
You ever wonder why you haven't found a job yet? Follow up is important despite what you think and it shows initiative. When someone has a pile of resumes and you leave that "bug" out there saying "I want to make sure my resume is received" they will have to look for it (if they care) and once they look for it the first thing they will do when finding it is a) let you know yes and b) READ IT!

The worst thing that can happen following up is they reject you but they would read your resume first and the best is to find out a) they have it and they review it or b) they don't have it and you send again.

I truly think you are just lazy......if you put as much effort into the job seeking process as you do this forum you would probably be working by now.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:34 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Agree with Dwight.

That e-mail cuts down on a lot of annoyance. Not to mention the drop on productivity of the people who have to continually get such calls.

We (employers) generally hate when people call repeatedly to "make sure" someone got their application, to find out if they will be called for an interview, and to ask why they were not called. They don't seem to have the ability that TVandSportsGuy has, to conclude that he isn't a candidate when no one calls him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search