Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:17 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
My husband works nights, so he is home (with me) most of the day. People who live here must think we do illegal stuff or are independently wealthy because we are both home.

I think you should try to get a 'SAH Parents' group together. I know you have a special ed. child, too.

Get out and talk to people, Jacky. Last week I had a job interview, my first one for months, and people spoke to me with respect and kindness. I was so thankful to get out of the house and have an opportunity to talk with others outside of my husband and son. I was seen as a 'person' not a mom for a few minutes.

I think you would be happier if you got out and volunteered. Even if you just do it 2 hours a week...
I was happier. When I did that Christmas job a few months ago. Its was only 6 weeks, felt alot longer. I felt so at home and it was nice to be out there and talknig to others. It didn't pay for much beyond the gas to get there, and the hours weren't alot either, but it was just nice to get out of the house for awhile.

I'll look into the volnteer stuff around here again. My issue is that my kid's school being "Special" is not right nearby. So if I volunteered there, I'd have a commute and nothing paying for it.

Its kinda out on the edge of town here. I could go over to some nature preserves and see what they got there, too.

Any other volunteer ideas for a small town setting?

Last edited by Jackyfrost01; 03-20-2009 at 09:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I don't want to work or volunteer for other's respect or because I feel pressured by society, though. If I do it, its because I want to. Thats all that should matter, but in reality we are bombarded by a society that's small minded and judges people based on ignorance.

I do agree about people being lazy, but in some cases people just end up on a path they can't get off of. Meaning they are stuck, even though given a different road in life, they may have done other things. In my case, even though I know I can do more, I'm basically stuck taking care of 2 disabled people the rest of my life. I only have a 5 hour window that I am on my own to get housework, errand and bills done. Its a very unsatisfying existence. I have volunteered, btw. Its hard to get into that though.

I know I can do more, but I gave up my career to raise my kids and care for the domestic stuff. Now I'm sorta stuck as my kids have gotten worse and we hadn't counted on that. Money is not so much an issue. If I were to work, it would be because I wanted to get out of the house and it would have to be part time and really odd hours..
I have a lot of respect for people in your position. It is easy to look important when you are in the spotlight all day, but I think it is much more difficult to be in a 'support' role because even though that role is just as important, there isn't the visibility you get elsewhere.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I have a lot of respect for people in your position. It is easy to look important when you are in the spotlight all day, but I think it is much more difficult to be in a 'support' role because even though that role is just as important, there isn't the visibility you get elsewhere.
Thanks and your right it isn't as visible and unless someone understands what those people do all day its generally frowned or looked down on as being "not REAL work".

Its work not going nuts all day haha.. I don't know what people did before cable tv and the internet to kill some time. I'd go nuts just puttering around the garden or taking walks all day like some retired person. I'd probably end up driving around wasting gas and alot of window shopping.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:04 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
It's a capitalistic society - all about the money. I think raising kids is the hardest job of all and I commend you for taking it on.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:25 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Jacky,
Try volunteermatch (google it).
In our small area, they have volunteer jobs in the paper every Sunday.
What are you interested in? Do you like animals? Call up your animal shelter. They could always use someone to help out a few hours a week.

Funny thing about volunteering around here...I found they act like THEY are doing you a favor sometimes! I have tried 3 different places and nothing has gone beyond email.

I am putting my energies into looking for a full time job and helping my husband run a special ed. support group for Asperger's (I told you about it in another post).

That's why I said maybe you should start a support group for stay at home parents.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Jacky,
Try volunteermatch (google it).
In our small area, they have volunteer jobs in the paper every Sunday.
What are you interested in? Do you like animals? Call up your animal shelter. They could always use someone to help out a few hours a week.

Funny thing about volunteering around here...I found they act like THEY are doing you a favor sometimes! I have tried 3 different places and nothing has gone beyond email.

I am putting my energies into looking for a full time job and helping my husband run a special ed. support group for Asperger's (I told you about it in another post).

That's why I said maybe you should start a support group for stay at home parents.
Thanks ! Thats been my luck too. I'll look into it and hear nothing back ever. I will look into it all. Thanks again

Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Hugs to you Jacky...I know your pain....only people who have been SAH parents can relate.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:03 PM

353 posts, read 905,921 times
Quote:
It annoys me ...*snip*when I see coworkers clock out after exactly 8 hours even though the economy is sh*t
Sorry it takes you so long to get your work done.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:58 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,943 times
Quote:
It annoys me when I see lazy people (or people not living up to their potential). A job doesn't have to be something that brings in a paycheck, but when I see coworkers clock out after exactly 8 hours even though the economy is sh*t and we should all work harder to turn the company around
Maybe this is a regional thing but where I live, employers view employees as disposable and will let someone go at a the drop of a hat if they can hire someone just out of college for half the salary. I can certainly see why workers have no company loyalty.

Quote:
I agree with you though, I don't know what the big deal is about a paid job. I have friends who do nothing at a paid job and others who have a huge impact volunteering for free. I have much more respect for the latter...
A paying job sure comes in handy when the rent is due....

Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Maybe this is a regional thing but where I live, employers view employees as disposable and will let someone go at a the drop of a hat if they can hire someone just out of college for half the salary. I can certainly see why workers have no company loyalty.

A paying job sure comes in handy when the rent is due....

Good Point!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment