Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:25 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times

Advertisements

Why would companys hire young workers ? , when they in fact know that they will leave in a few months or maybe a yr to start families , get married leaving the company high and dry . Why not hire an older worker who has had their children and been married for many years and basically be more dependable and reliable . I have never figured this one out . Any ideas out there ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 02:28 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,495,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Why would companys hire young workers ? , when they in fact know that they will leave in a few months or maybe a yr to start families , get married leaving the company high and dry . Why not hire an older worker who has had their children and been married for many years and basically be more dependable and reliable . I have never figured this one out . Any ideas out there ?
We're cheaper on the insurance premiums (typically) and, being fresh out of college, are usually willing to work for peanuts.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,437,056 times
Younger workers tend to be more open to absorbing the company culture and accepting policies as status quo.

They usually work for less pay.

Younger employees typically do not need to take time off to pick the kids up or take a sick kid to the doctor.

They tend to be more savvy with new technology, bring a fresh perspective to the work environment and are more open to developing new ways of doing things.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:46 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,442,333 times
define young? If you are saying its across the board -EV to hire people in their 20s you are way off.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,005,817 times
Why is it us vs. them?

I think companies hire the best person they have at the time for the job. Maybe ageism exists but what can you do?

Perhaps one day you will come across an HR manager or manager who will not hire an older person. The next job you apply to, they may prefer older people.

I've always worked at places with a mixture of ages. In one department at one job we had a sixty something person, a few thirty somethings, a few fifty somethings...and a few twenty somethings.

You can say bad and good (stereotypes) about any group.
Negatives include: (note these are stereotypes...not 100% true)
Older workers--technologically clueless, hate taking orders from younger people, really are set in their ways.
Younger workers--feel they should be making $40,000 first job out of school, think they know it all, resent having to 'earn their way up.'

Old 03-20-2009, 03:00 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,495,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
You can say bad and good (stereotypes) about any group.
Well to be fair, the Gen Y/Millenials (my generation) are pretty self-absorbed/narcissistic/selfish and suffer greatly from an entitlement complex. I can see where the OP might have a complaint, even if I find it a tad ludicrous.

Personally, I'd like to see this awful economy knock my generation down a peg or two. I don't want to be around if we never learn to get over ourselves.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:08 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,102,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post

Well, they do hire older workers... there is a new cottage industry of older workers... I know that my 19 year old and 17 year old nephews had a very hard time finding jobs...

But usually, companies prefer to hire younger workers because they are Cheaper. Same reason these same companies have taken the manufacturing jobs overseas.

Another reason, is illness. Older workers are out sick longer than younger workers on average, not individually.

But now, companies prefer to fire the older more expensive worker and the party hardy younger worker and Replace them with a computer.
Why because computers dont' stay out all night and they dont' get sick or want raises.

Last edited by gea12345; 03-20-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-20-2009, 04:13 PM

9 posts, read 79,090 times
Actually, hiring workers 45 and over throws the company into an assigned risk pool. I believe that much of this age discrimination is due to the unmanageably high cost of ensuring older people. Good luck proving it though...

Old 03-20-2009, 09:15 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,419,953 times
I am not sure that young employees are in demand. I know a bunch of graduates from excellent schools (who paid a lot for their education) that are unemployed and cannot find jobs. Only one that I know of, a girl (engineering graduate) got a nice job (with benefits). Most young people are rejected due to their lack of experience. Employers are not so concerned that they may leave (Where will they go anyway? Today, if they got a good job they stay in most cases). Unlike in the past, today employers try to avoid investing in the training of young, unexperienced employees. That is the #1 concern. Employers want to see results from their new recruits from day one, or if possible even before (lol).
There is also bias against older people for numerous reasons. (BTW, insurance is not the main concern). Older employees might not be as energetic and flexible as the young. They usually have families and will not work for pennies. Also they may get in conflict with younger supervisors, might not adapt well to new companies' culture and will not tolerate crap as willingly as some young guys do.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times
Older people do get hired in certain areas where I work. It depends on the job. Inspectors are often older, they have a lot of experience under their belt. The Finance Department rarely hires anyone under 30.

But there is more to what an employer saves than just insurance and even wages. At my job there are a number of us "older" ones with health problems and most of us are pretty damn dependable. I have great attendance and often work when I'm feeling lousy. (Sorry to disagree with you gea12345, but what you described just isn't how it is where I work.)

The worst for calling in are those with children in school. Kids today get sick all the time, it seems, and I have been quite SHOCKED at the number of days that some of them have missed. Aside from all that sick pay our employer pays for, there's the hardships placed on their co-workers to deal with. And I have seen some hard feelings caused by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment