U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 3,013,831 times
Reputation: 775

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
To keep their jobs they have to do what I said above.
So I guess that means you were not doing what you are suggesting if you got laid off? Were you a clock watcher? Didn't perform well? Let me guess, co-workers didn't like you?

Layoffs are all about expense reduction and cost savings. It doesn't matter how many hours you put in or how much you are liked by your co-workers. If they need to cut costs, they will cut people. Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
35,131 posts, read 24,377,076 times
Reputation: 7919
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
So I guess that means you were not doing what you are suggesting if you got laid off? Were you a clock watcher? Didn't perform well? Let me guess, co-workers didn't like you?

Layoffs are all about expense reduction and cost savings. It doesn't matter how many hours you put in or how much you are liked by your co-workers. If they need to cut costs, they will cut people. Plain and simple.
Yes, I had a bad 2008 after being receiving awards in 2007 and cost the company a lot of money which lead to my depature. So I did number and number 3, it was not doing number 2 that was the problem which is why i'm unemployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 PM
JL
 
Location: Houston, TX
6,382 posts, read 6,989,856 times
Reputation: 6401
I went through a multistage(lasting a couple of days) interview process years ago with SprintParanet for an IT Analyst position. I made it to the last stage. At the end, the guy tells me that they don't have a client for me to work in right now, but will keep me on file since they didn't want to put me on the 'bench' if they hired me. It was more like we won't hire or pay you until we can find a client to get your ass to work. What a waste of time!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
 
2,365 posts, read 7,871,290 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
I went through a multistage(lasting a couple of days) interview process years ago with SprintParanet for an IT Analyst position. I made it to the last stage. At the end, the guy tells me that they don't have a client for me to work in right now, but will keep me on file since they didn't want to put me on the 'bench' if they hired me. It was more like we won't hire or pay you until we can find a client to get your ass to work. What a waste of time!!!

I hope companies don't do that kind of thing often....what a waste of time...! I know staffing companies do that without a job in the offing, but that is different...

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,518 posts, read 3,339,521 times
Reputation: 968
Well, i have a good one. Maybe 7 years ago I was interviewing and while I was talking to one of the people I was interviewing with, he turned sideways and started to check e-mail. Yeah, I was pretty sure at that point that I wasn't getting the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,059 posts, read 20,035,114 times
Reputation: 10141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Well, i have a good one. Maybe 7 years ago I was interviewing and while I was talking to one of the people I was interviewing with, he turned sideways and started to check e-mail. Yeah, I was pretty sure at that point that I wasn't getting the job.
I once went on an interview and about halfway through, the woman who was interviewing me had evidently decided that I wasn't going to get the job. She could not keep herself composed after that; she actually got up and ran out of the room, leaving me sitting there for a little more than five minutes. When she came back in, she mumbled a few of the typical formalities--thanks for coming in, you'll be hearing from us (which didn't happen). Nobody had to tell me what a waste of time that was!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
35,131 posts, read 24,377,076 times
Reputation: 7919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I once went on an interview and about halfway through, the woman who was interviewing me had evidently decided that I wasn't going to get the job. She could not keep herself composed after that; she actually got up and ran out of the room, leaving me sitting there for a little more than five minutes. When she came back in, she mumbled a few of the typical formalities--thanks for coming in, you'll be hearing from us (which didn't happen). Nobody had to tell me what a waste of time that was!

You should have asked her with a smile-

"are you on some type of medication?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 PM
JL
 
Location: Houston, TX
6,382 posts, read 6,989,856 times
Reputation: 6401
I also had an interview several years ago when 9 people interviewed me at the same time in a conference room. They were all sitting across from me. After the 2 hr interview with these nine people, i had to go into a room to take a 1 hr written and multiple choice test.

Before i was allowed to interview with them, i had attended a job fair weeks earlier where they screened out alot of people. I was then told to come one day and talk with some technical people and if they liked me, they would call me back for that interview. Thus, the 2 hr interview was scheduled for the following week.

After that 2 hr. interview, i knew i wasn't gonna get hired. They asked so many questions and many were unrelated to the position that i was applying for. Also, i was nervous with 9 people staring at you. I will never want to experience that again...for sure!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 05:45 AM
 
23,998 posts, read 32,360,224 times
Reputation: 10942
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I hope companies don't do that kind of thing often....what a waste of time...! I know staffing companies do that without a job in the offing, but that is different...

good luck
I agree, that's crazy. The company I used to work for would put out ads to get resumes, but never actually interviewed anyone unless we had an actual opening, or it was made very clear to the person that they wanted to interview before the interview was even scheduled that there were no openings at that time and they were being interviewed for future consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2009, 06:15 AM
 
2,365 posts, read 7,871,290 times
Reputation: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I agree, that's crazy. The company I used to work for would put out ads to get resumes, but never actually interviewed anyone unless we had an actual opening, or it was made very clear to the person that they wanted to interview before the interview was even scheduled that there were no openings at that time and they were being interviewed for future consideration.

Why do you think your company did that...put ads out, but not necessarily interview anyone?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top