U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:54 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

35,348 posts, read 24,597,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
When I was job hunting I never sent out less than 50 resumes in a week. I sent to all jobs on Monster/CareerBuilder/etc., plus I had a list of the hundred largest employers in the Orlando area and I sent a cover letter and resume to each of them.

I also had a second list that a sympathetic former business associate pulled from his employers database (we weren't competitors!) and sent me of every company in the area that operated within the sector that I was looking for work in--that was another 200 or so. I visited each of their websites and applied online. If they didn't have a facility for that I mailed a hard resume.

I also networked through Linkedin and got an offer out of that which I politely declined as I got a second (better) offer at the same time from the company I ended up going to work for.

I went on interviews, even if I didn't think I'd want the job, because you never know when a different job will be open that you'd be more suited for.

I went to a couple of career fairs, and actually got a really good lead at one of them that I never followed up on because I found a job before I had the opportunity.

I spent eight hours a day job hunting--the amount of time I would have spent working. I felt that spending more time that that would lead to burnout.

And I was re-employed a little over a month after losing my job.

Careerbuilder and Monster are too publicized for me to apply to a job on those sites. I focus on sites that are geared to my local area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 05:58 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,541,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Careerbuilder and Monster are too publicized for me to apply to a job on those sites. I focus on sites that are geared to my local area.
So you won't apply to a job on them because others are also applying? Afraid of the competition? Why on earth would you pass up a potential job because of where it's listed? Makes no sense at all. My guess is that when your unemployment is about to run out you'll see things differently.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
So you won't apply to a job on them because others are also applying? Afraid of the competition? Why on earth would you pass up a potential job because of where it's listed? Makes no sense at all. My guess is that when your unemployment is about to run out you'll see things differently.

Monster is just not a good site and never has been. Careerbuilder is site I only apply to jobs on when I receive a email alert from indeed.com that has a job posting by CB. Far as browsing careerbuilder, I have no interest in that because just too many people know about it and I try to focus sites that are not popular.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Monster is just not a good site and never has been. Careerbuilder is site I only apply to jobs on when I receive a email alert from indeed.com that has a job posting by CB. Far as browsing careerbuilder, I have no interest in that because just too many people know about it and I try to focus sites that are not popular.
Again, so you are overlooking potential jobs because you are afraid of the competition? Your logic makes no sense. The job I ended up landing ahd over 250 applicants. Using your logic I shouldn't have applied because too many other people were applying as well. But then again that's why I had numerous offers and you've had...

And for the record, both Monster and Career BUilder offer a feature to allow you to drill down to opportunies within specified distances from your home or area or any zip code you choose to put in. You can find jobs specific to your local area.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Again, so you are overlooking potential jobs because you are afraid of the competition? Your logic makes no sense. The job I ended up landing ahd over 250 applicants. Using your logic I shouldn't have applied because too many other people were applying as well.

Well if you had a choice between applying to jobs on a website that doesn't have TV commercials versus a website that the entire country knows about which one would you choose? 80% of the Interviews were from Craiglist postings and going to individual websites and zero interviews has come from Careerbuilder.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Again, so you are overlooking potential jobs because you are afraid of the competition? Your logic makes no sense. The job I ended up landing ahd over 250 applicants. Using your logic I shouldn't have applied because too many other people were applying as well. But then again that's why I had numerous offers and you've had...

And for the record, both Monster and Career BUilder offer a feature to allow you to drill down to opportunies within specified distances from your home or area or any zip code you choose to put in. You can find jobs specific to your local area.
Plus after finding out employers rather not post job ads when they need to fill a position I didnt feel the need to be on careerbuilder anymore.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Well if you had a choice between applying to jobs on a website that doesn't have TV commercials versus a website that the entire country knows about which one would you choose? 80% of the Interviews were from Craiglist postings and going to individual websites and zero interviews has come from Careerbuilder.
And just because you haven't hit on an interview from Careerbuilder yet, you're logic is that you never will? If you aren't applying for jobs there, then you're not going to get an interview from there. Why not look at ALL of those sources? I did, and it obviously worked.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:23 PM

2,365 posts, read 7,890,408 times
Quote:

I agreee, monster sucks and career builder is out of my league so far. What I like about career builder is that the the person hiring has their name and phone number and email. So, at least you know it is a real person. They always want five years experience and I only have 2 in one area of law and 2 in another...mabye next year, careebuilder will prove luckier for me.

but Monster on the other hand is just plain annoying! They send you emails, to do this or that, which I now ignore...

Right now, I just use the government sites and craigs list and my professor's job list!

Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM

1,111 posts, read 3,024,833 times
Annerk, you should read TVGuy's other threads before you try to talk common sense to him, you will realize it's just a lost cause and a waste of your time.

The reason he doesn't apply to jobs on careerbuilder or monster is because he is not qualified for the jobs listed there and he feels as if he is "better" than the rest of the people that are unemployed, which is why he refuses to use any of the more commercialized forms of job hunting.

I too, was unemployed for about 3 months and it took me 2 months to find a new job (I took 1 month off to plan for my wedding). I was on every job site daily, careerbuilder, monster, efinancialcareers, etc. Any job where I met even 1 of the requirements, I applied to - which was probably 20-30 jobs daily. I also went to company websites and applied to jobs there directly as well (something else that TVGuy refuses to do because it's a waste of his time).

And what did this get me? For about 6 weeks, I had a interview on 4 days of the 5 day week. Going to interviews were pretty much a full-time job for me. There were some companies that I was not particularly interested in, and some jobs that I didn't want to do - but I still accepted the interview and went. I believed any job was better than staying at home doing nothing and it put my name in the company in case other positions opened up. One company I interviewed for, which was a top-tier investment bank, I didn't get the position - but they called me back for 2 other positions a couple of weeks later because they were impressed, and both positions weren't posted yet. If I didn't go to the first interview, I never would've been called for the next 2.

2 months later, I was lucky enough to receive 2 offers in the same week, and I had the luxury to choose which one I wanted. The following week, I received a 3rd offer for one of the positions I interviewed for in the investment bank, which I declined because I already accepted a job.

To this day, I still get calls from recruiters and employers regarding my resume they seen posted on careerbuilder and/or monster. If I followed your advice, I'd probably still be unemployed, thinking of new ways to network for April.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 PM

1,111 posts, read 3,024,833 times
Quote:
This week was't a good one for job openings, so I only email a executive director of a organization my cover letter and resume and applied to 2 other jobs. This week I spent a lot of time netwoking and added a College Professor to my Reference list who I came across on Linkedin. Other than that I just been researching and analyzing resumes and coming up with a game plan for April.
Just curious, why do you feel it is neccessary to state the titles of the people your "networking" with or sending your resumes to? Executive Director? College Professor? Does it feed your ego to make you think your actually meeting someone with a nice title? As important as networking is, you can add the President of the US to your linkedin profile, but what good is it if he can't help you find a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment