U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

35,323 posts, read 24,597,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Annerk, you should read TVGuy's other threads before you try to talk common sense to him, you will realize it's just a lost cause and a waste of your time.

The reason he doesn't apply to jobs on careerbuilder or monster is because he is not qualified for the jobs listed there and he feels as if he is "better" than the rest of the people that are unemployed, which is why he refuses to use any of the more commercialized forms of job hunting.

I too, was unemployed for about 3 months and it took me 2 months to find a new job (I took 1 month off to plan for my wedding). I was on every job site daily, careerbuilder, monster, efinancialcareers, etc. Any job where I met even 1 of the requirements, I applied to - which was probably 20-30 jobs daily. I also went to company websites and applied to jobs there directly as well (something else that TVGuy refuses to do because it's a waste of his time).

And what did this get me? For about 6 weeks, I had a interview on 4 days of the 5 day week. Going to interviews were pretty much a full-time job for me. There were some companies that I was not particularly interested in, and some jobs that I didn't want to do - but I still accepted the interview and went. I believed any job was better than staying at home doing nothing and it put my name in the company in case other positions opened up. One company I interviewed for, which was a top-tier investment bank, I didn't get the position - but they called me back for 2 other positions a couple of weeks later because they were impressed, and both positions weren't posted yet. If I didn't go to the first interview, I never would've been called for the next 2.

2 months later, I was lucky enough to receive 2 offers in the same week, and I had the luxury to choose which one I wanted. The following week, I received a 3rd offer for one of the positions I interviewed for in the investment bank, which I declined because I already accepted a job.

To this day, I still get calls from recruiters and employers regarding my resume they seen posted on careerbuilder and/or monster. If I followed your advice, I'd probably still be unemployed, thinking of new ways to network for April.

Number one you are in Finance so you have to keep in mind that someone maybe in a field that may not have a lot of openings right now. It's always a job opening for Accounting/Banking/Finance and on top of that you are a woman which gives you another advantage. So you are situated a little differently than me so you can't compare how long it takes me to get a job versus how long it took you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:40 PM

1,111 posts, read 3,024,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Number one you are in Finance so you have to keep in mind that someone maybe in a field that may not have a lot of openings right now. It's always a job opening for Accounting/Banking/Finance and on top of that you are a woman which gives you another advantage. So you are situated a little differently than me so you can't compare how long it takes me to get a job versus how long it took you.
LOL! Ok, so I guess this continues to prove you have no idea what your talking about.

First, I'm not a woman, I'm a guy. And I don't see how sex matters in a job search? You think women can find a job easier than men? Why, because in your mind, a women wears lowcut tank tops and short skirts to the interview?

Second, obviously you don't watch the news or read CNN enough if you think there are always openings for jobs in finance and banking. If you haven't noticed, banks are to blame for the recession we're in right now and for the economy the way it is. Majority of the layoffs have come from finance companies, and there are very few jobs in banking/finance right now. Thousands of people who used to work in finance are still unemployed. Two of the largest investment banks (Bear Sterns and Lehman Bros.) are no longer around as a result of the economy. Why in the world do you think there are plenty of jobs in banks and finance right now?

Please tell me your joking because one person can not possibly be this clueless.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
LOL! Ok, so I guess this continues to prove you have no idea what your talking about.

First, I'm not a woman, I'm a guy. And I don't see how sex matters in a job search? You think women can find a job easier than men? Why, because in your mind, a women wears lowcut tank tops and short skirts to the interview?

Second, obviously you don't watch the news or read CNN enough if you think there are always openings for jobs in finance and banking. If you haven't noticed, banks are to blame for the recession we're in right now and for the economy the way it is. Majority of the layoffs have come from finance companies, and there are very few jobs in banking/finance right now. Thousands of people who used to work in finance are still unemployed. Two of the largest investment banks (Bear Sterns and Lehman Bros.) are no longer around as a result of the economy. Why in the world do you think there are plenty of jobs in banks and finance right now?

Please tell me your joking because one person can not possibly be this clueless.

I meant to say Accounting. And I thought you were a woman when you said you were PLANNING YOUR WEDDING-lol My fault.

I usually don't hear men talk like that.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:11 PM

1,111 posts, read 3,024,833 times
Quote:
And I thought you were a woman when you said you were PLANNING YOUR WEDDING-lol My fault.

I usually don't hear men talk like that.
Ok, I can agree with that. LOL! Hard to say no when your home doing nothing and the gf is at work.

But I'm not in Accounting. I'm in Finance/Banking.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:13 AM

22,578 posts, read 27,354,230 times
Quote:
Ok, I can agree with that. LOL! Hard to say no when your home doing nothing and the gf is at work.

But I'm not in Accounting. I'm in Finance/Banking.
What a hilarious thread. As TVSG continues to spin a yarn, forum contributors continue to feed him. TVSG, you're in "Accounting/Financing?" Since when? Your innumerable posts, to the best of my knowledge, didn't demonstrate any background associated with either accounting or financing but do please correct me if I'm wrong or have misinterpreted.

I do still think that you and gea1234 have so much commonality viz posting profundity, nasty testiness when challenged, along with geographical proximity that you should just get together and have a blast. Forget eharmony.com - this is a match for true. Good night and cheers!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What a hilarious thread. As TVSG continues to spin a yarn, forum contributors continue to feed him. TVSG, you're in "Accounting/Financing?" Since when? Your innumerable posts, to the best of my knowledge, didn't demonstrate any background associated with either accounting or financing but do please correct me if I'm wrong or have misinterpreted.

I do still think that you and gea1234 have so much commonality viz posting profundity, nasty testiness when challenged, along with geographical proximity that you should just get together and have a blast. Forget eharmony.com - this is a match for true. Good night and cheers!

I was saying I wish my field was accounting because there is always a opening for a accounting position.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:02 AM

2,365 posts, read 7,890,408 times
[quote=STT Resident;8077768]What a hilarious thread.

first funny bone you exhibited...one point for you!!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:17 PM

1,121 posts, read 2,271,333 times
Quote:
Well I feel I can post these bad signs now since the rejection email came today which I was expecting so it wasn't a surprise. So in the future, if you experience any of the situations below you may not get the job.

1. You don't fill out a job application

2. Salary is never brought up by the Interviewer

3.You are told by the interviewer-"I will defintely let you know either way" after asking the next step in the interview proccess.

4.You are never asked-"when would you be able to start?"

5.The interviewer doesn't try sell the job to you at all during the interview.

So if you encounter atleat 3 of the 5 situations above then that's probably not a good sign getting the job. If anyone has anymore feel free to post.

My first clue was when I walked in the office (Concord NC) at a freight logistics provider (mind you I had 35 years of experience in the exact field, and I was from the NORTH)...... and the director of the dept, introduces himself to me and I to him...and after my first sentence says " Ya'll don't talk like no Yankee"....I knew right then and there, he was not considering hiring anyone from other than the South as he had a preconceived notion about how I was "supposed" to talk. Should I mention his uneducated sounding slaughter of the English language? Unprofessional at best. No I did not get the job (not sure I would have taken it). Moved on to a better company, much more pay better benefits. Actually just got a bonus yesterday for my outstanding performance.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:32 PM

1,121 posts, read 2,271,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Sometimes a small company will NOT make you fill an application out until you get the job. It's not always a bad sign.

Sometimes the HR people or the manager or whoever prefer to interview you, check out the resume and do paperwork once you are hired.

My company is huge, (major HR dept) global international, and they did not make me fill out the application until a few days before I came in to take their tests and be interviewed...I always thought that was weird...but guess each company does what is best for them. Another thing I thought was weird was they mailed me a huge package with a letter stating their intent to offer me a job at X number of dollars, and sent all their HR rules/regulations,
insurance info, and on an on....but it was tentative on my credit and criminal and background check....why waste all that paper and mail without having all the checks done beforehand? Seems like a waste of money as I do know of a few people that got those type of mailed packages, and failed the checks...some got the job after all, some did not. That was told to me by the actual co-worker , two of them, (they failed the credit checks ie: bad credit)

Old 03-28-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
My company is huge, (major HR dept) global international, and they did not make me fill out the application until a few days before I came in to take their tests and be interviewed...I always thought that was weird...but guess each company does what is best for them. Another thing I thought was weird was they mailed me a huge package with a letter stating their intent to offer me a job at X number of dollars, and sent all their HR rules/regulations,
insurance info, and on an on....but it was tentative on my credit and criminal and background check....why waste all that paper and mail without having all the checks done beforehand? Seems like a waste of money as I do know of a few people that got those type of mailed packages, and failed the checks...some got the job after all, some did not. That was told to me by the actual co-worker , two of them, (they failed the credit checks ie: bad credit)

Bad Credit should only be affecting a person who is trying to get a Finance position right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment