Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:57 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I thought you were spending 24/7 looking for a job?
I'm multi-tasking, getting to know you and tweaking a couple of resumes. I meant to say doing something everyday that has to do with getting a job. Not necessarily applying to jobs. Like yesterday I added a Ivy League Professor to my Reference and removed someone who wasn't already on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 04:04 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I'm multi-tasking, getting to know you and tweaking a couple of resumes. I meant to say doing something everyday that has to do with getting a job. Not necessarily applying to jobs. Like yesterday I added a Ivy League Professor to my Reference and removed someone who wasn't already on there.

Yes, I love that song/movie...getting to know you, gettint to like you...hmm i forget the rest!

I, too tweaked my resume, meaning that I changed the lay out. Added some parallel lines to highlight the different sections. Divided the computer software into two columns. Added my literature and my hobby interests...most people would say too long, but i like it.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:25 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
Quote:
But what did you do to go out and physically active seek a job. Foot to the pavement, resumes in company's emails, apps filled out. How many got sent out this week? Be honest, be specific. Answer this question, how many resumes, or applications get sent out every week?

Old 03-27-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I'm not going to a FAKE A$$ INTERVIEW, what part of that don't you understand. You are truly a new fool.
No, I'm a "potted Plant", way too old to be a New fool. Just to be clear, how would you know it's a "fake" interview. The interviews are for actual jobs, so what part of that isn't going thru to that communications degree. By the way, I see thru your posts what they teach now. To put symbols so you can curse, thereby we will give you a communications degree. Which On-line University was this, "Wii Skru U"? You can't take advise or input, so I don't know why you continue to post and ask questions.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
But what did you do to go out and physically active seek a job. Foot to the pavement, resumes in company's emails, apps filled out. How many got sent out this week? Be honest, be specific. Answer this question, how many resumes, or applications get sent out every week?
This week was't a good one for job openings, so I only email a executive director of a organization my cover letter and resume and applied to 2 other jobs. This week I spent a lot of time netwoking and added a College Professor to my Reference list who I came across on Linkedin. Other than that I just been researching and analyzing resumes and coming up with a game plan for April.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
No, I'm a "potted Plant", way too old to be a New fool. Just to be clear, how would you know it's a "fake" interview. The interviews are for actual jobs, so what part of that isn't going thru to that communications degree. By the way, I see thru your posts what they teach now. To put symbols so you can curse, thereby we will give you a communications degree. Which On-line University was this, "Wii Skru U"? You can't take advise or input, so I don't know why you continue to post and ask questions.

Money is Tight right now and I only want to use money for bus fare and the cleaners and a haircut if the interview is for a position that needs to be fill immediately. I'm trying to hold on to money as much as I can and I don't want to waste it on a future interest Interview.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
This week was't a good one for job openings, so I only email a executive director of a organization my cover letter and resume and applied to 2 other jobs. This week I spent a lot of time netwoking and added a College Professor to my Reference list who I came across on Linkedin. Other than that I just been researching and analyzing resumes and coming up with a game plan for April.
So, the email wasn't an active job opening, the networking is ok, but not active seeking. 5 business days, applied to 2 jobs. (Researching, analyzing, who you trying to kid) and why? The name of the game, apply, apply, apply, apply apply, apply. If you don't apply, you can't get a job. If you only apply to 2 jobs, you only have TWO possibilities. But, why do I waste my fingers typing, you won't follow any advice. Maybe someone else will, apply for every job thats even close to your field. You will be surprised what you can do with just a little bit of eye opening.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:46 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:
When I was job hunting I never sent out less than 50 resumes in a week. I sent to all jobs on Monster/CareerBuilder/etc., plus I had a list of the hundred largest employers in the Orlando area and I sent a cover letter and resume to each of them.

I also had a second list that a sympathetic former business associate pulled from his employers database (we weren't competitors!) and sent me of every company in the area that operated within the sector that I was looking for work in--that was another 200 or so. I visited each of their websites and applied online. If they didn't have a facility for that I mailed a hard resume.

I also networked through Linkedin and got an offer out of that which I politely declined as I got a second (better) offer at the same time from the company I ended up going to work for.

I went on interviews, even if I didn't think I'd want the job, because you never know when a different job will be open that you'd be more suited for.

I went to a couple of career fairs, and actually got a really good lead at one of them that I never followed up on because I found a job before I had the opportunity.

I spent eight hours a day job hunting--the amount of time I would have spent working. I felt that spending more time that that would lead to burnout.

And I was re-employed a little over a month after losing my job.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
So, the email wasn't an active job opening, the networking is ok, but not active seeking. 5 business days, applied to 2 jobs. (Researching, analyzing, who you trying to kid) and why? The name of the game, apply, apply, apply, apply apply, apply. If you don't apply, you can't get a job. If you only apply to 2 jobs, you only have TWO possibilities. But, why do I waste my fingers typing, you won't follow any advice. Maybe someone else will, apply for every job thats even close to your field. You will be surprised what you can do with just a little bit of eye opening.

I apply to jobs that I feel I'm qualified for and for this particular week it wasn't a lot of opportunities that matched my qualifications. Now last week it was 10 jobs I applied to and the week before that was 12. This was just a slow week but I still feel it was a productive week.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:51 PM

And thats the way to do it. Thats what I been trying to get thru to this guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search