U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-23-2009, 07:06 PM

2,240 posts, read 6,395,680 times
Default how do i ask for copy of non-compete?

when i started my job a few months ago i signed a non-compete agreement and i would like a copy...how do i ask for it without them thinking i am looking elsewher (which i very well may be!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-23-2009, 09:11 PM

2,365 posts, read 7,196,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
when i started my job a few months ago i signed a non-compete agreement and i would like a copy...how do i ask for it without them thinking i am looking elsewher (which i very well may be!)

I think you will just have to ask them straight out. Which should be easy, if you never got your copy. Just say you never got your copy, end of story. If you lost your copy. Then just say you lost your copy and sorry, but I need another one. Don't elaborate, since people are going to think whatever, anyway.

Also, I really can't think of any reason to want your copy except that it is your right to have a copy of your personnell file and any contracts you sign. If they say, are you planning to leave us, then say No, I just like to keep a copy for my own records.

good luck!!

p.s. Also remember that each state has its own rules as to what convenants are enforceable in a non-compete agreement. So, if you are planning to go into business, you will want an attorney to interpret the agreement in light of your state's laws, since many employers throw them together and are not actually enforceable or not to the degree they might wish.

Last edited by gea12345; 03-23-2009 at 09:37 PM..

Unread 03-24-2009, 05:44 AM

2,749 posts, read 6,818,148 times
I agree with gea12345. Just simply say you've been organizing your personal files and realized you don't have a copy of the agreement to complete your file.

Unread 03-24-2009, 12:01 PM

2,515 posts, read 4,902,803 times
Yes, a copy of all things in your personnell file is your right. You don't have to ask for anything in specific, ask for a copy of the whole thing, just for your records. During this tax season, good time and excuse to do it, copy of W-4, so on---

Unread 03-24-2009, 06:59 PM

2,240 posts, read 6,395,680 times
I got it. thanks. i just flat out asked as many of you stated. i do want it for my records. now that i got it, i realize i need an employment laywer...some things in there that just aren't right. I can't elaborate as the details could give away where i am talking about and i don't want to be fired.
thanks again

Unread 03-24-2009, 09:07 PM

2,365 posts, read 7,196,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
I got it. thanks. i just flat out asked as many of you stated. i do want it for my records. now that i got it, i realize i need an employment laywer...some things in there that just aren't right. I can't elaborate as the details could give away where i am talking about and i don't want to be fired.
thanks again
An attorney that handles contracts will be able to help you.
Employment atty is more employment law, rather than covenants not to compete.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment