Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,027,050 times

Advertisements

Which is a more stable job? I love to volunteer & help people & although I did not major in Education or Social Work, I would like to either get a Master of Arts in Teaching or my MSW or maybe even an M.Ed in School Counseling...I am interested in working with kids & their families if I were to become a social worker?

Basically, which job is more recession-proof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 12:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Neither is recession poroof but edcuation is way above sociall work as far as government priority is concerned.Both are nothing like voluteer work as a profession both are very political in nature.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:17 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Which is a more stable job? I love to volunteer & help people & although I did not major in Education or Social Work, I would like to either get a Master of Arts in Teaching or my MSW or maybe even an M.Ed in School Counseling...I am interested in working with kids & their families if I were to become a social worker?

Well, if you look at the Federal Governments Burea of labor and Statistics, the Education field and the transportation field are the two highest growing fields.. Go to their website and improve your knowledge. You can also punch in your field and it will tell you average salaries, etc....

Both Fields require a Masters and an Internshiip. One of my sisters just finished her masters in teaching and she loves her job as a special education teacher.

So, education appears to be recession proof, since their are jobs in both government and the private sector.

Social work i think less so, based on how we currently define social work!

good luck

Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
At least with teaching you have somewhat of a break.
With social work...your work is hardly ever done. You run the risk of being depressed because of all the depressing things you will likely see and the pay just isn't all that great considering all that you do.

School counseling wouldn't be all that depressing....although you may get the tragic case or two every year.

Both are good bets but if I were you, I would choose the school counseling over social work.
If you do decide to become a teacher, try to pick an area where there is a high demand: math, science (chemistry and physics are really in demand), and foreign language.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post

Teaching certainly is not recession proof. They are cutting budgets everywhere and teachers are being laid off. School counseling is even less recession proof because they are usually let go before teachers. My brother works in social work and right now his agency isn't laying off anyone yet the school district I work for, is laying teachers off and find any excuse to get rid of them. If you do choose teaching, STAY AWAY FROM ARIZONA. It is a horrible state for teachers.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 22,922 times
I have actually considered all three of those options myself! I have been in the teaching field and it has been extremely stressful. Where my mom works they are laying off teachers and the Board of Education is not hiring anyone. I have decided to change careers and go into social work. I love to help people and all of the volunteer work I have done on the side has been in the social services field. I have looked on the internet and there are social work jobs in every city. Furthermore, you can become a counselor with an MSW degree. You have to work for three years under the supervision of a LCSW and then take a test. After that, you can become a Licensed Clinical Social Worker yourself which is basically being a counselor. Yes, social work is a difficult field to work in because of the many problems people face. However, I think the rewards far outweigh the difficulties. Also, there are many types and places you can work as a social worker. Good luck with your decision!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment