Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 07:03 AM

259 posts, read 1,040,665 times

Advertisements

Since I moved to a new area almost a year ago I have had nothing but trouble finding a job. Seems I moved just at the time the recession started hitting hard. Plus, after talking to a person who recently lost their job in HR (they were laid off,) I was told that most companies where I happened to move lean toward hiring the locals who are natives or resided here for many years, especially during these hard times. They prefer to look after their own. This is very true and I can prove it, but that's another story for another Thread. My accent and/or resume give me away immediately. I've been told in the state I came from that I have an excellant cover letter and resume that I put together myself so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I can't possible be under or over qualified for each and every job I applied to, and there have been hundreds and hundreds. I can't even get a phone call for an interview!

I was left a little money from a relative that passed on, but I also wanted to work as I'm not ready to retire. Since nobody would ever call me for an interview after sending out hundreds of resumes, I decided to go directly to the companies I wanted to work for. I think sometimes if they see you they will consider you if you dress the part, etc. It worked and I got the job immediately after the interview. I've been working for her for a few weeks. This person started her business a year ago. She too is from another state and could not find a job for over well over a year although very qualified.

It might work for you. If you give it a try I hope you are able to find employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 AM

12,626 posts, read 31,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
Since I moved to a new area almost a year ago I have had nothing but trouble finding a job. Seems I moved just at the time the recession started hitting hard. Plus, after talking to a person who recently lost their job in HR (they were laid off,) I was told that most companies where I happened to move lean toward hiring the locals who are natives or resided here for many years, especially during these hard times. They prefer to look after their own. This is very true and I can prove it, but that's another story for another Thread. My accent and/or resume give me away immediately. I've been told in the state I came from that I have an excellant cover letter and resume that I put together myself so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I can't possible be under or over qualified for each and every job I applied to, and there have been hundreds and hundreds. I can't even get a phone call for an interview!

I was left a little money from a relative that passed on, but I also wanted to work as I'm not ready to retire. Since nobody would ever call me for an interview after sending out hundreds of resumes, I decided to go directly to the companies I wanted to work for. I think sometimes if they see you they will consider you if you dress the part, etc. It worked and I got the job immediately after the interview. I've been working for her for a few weeks. This person started her business a year ago. She too is from another state and could not find a job for over well over a year although very qualified.

It might work for you. If you give it a try I hope you are able to find employment.
Congrats! Great story!

Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,115,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post

I agree that walk-in applying is still alive and well, and just relying on the internet is not wise, even though relying solely on the internet has worked for me in the past. But people on here, will tell you that many mid-size and large companies will direct you to their website, but at the same time, there are thousands of small and mid size businesses that still do business by accepting your resume/application in person or by mail.

And I have read that small businesses employ the majority of the workforce.

congratulations!

Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,115,988 times
So, if congratulations for a job are in order than Congratualtions!!

But, i get the impression rereading and rereading that you just were able to forestall the wolf at the door because of 2 gifts.?

It also sounds as if nothing changed and are still at the part-time job that is not paying enough to pay your bills??

If I am misunderstanding and you actually got offered and took a second part-time job!! then I do congratulate you, since you now will be able to pay your bills, without help.

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCastle View Post
I wanted to give you an update. Formerly I was Art Lover. This week I did have a good interview with a very nice lady in the HR Dept. I was hoping I could keep the job I have now, plus work this position. She wasn't sure if you she would be able to give me the hours I wanted right away, but in the future said it would be possible since they plan to expand from Monday - Sunday. Right now it's M-F. I thought it was going to be a full time position, but it's PT which still works for me. I was also told it could turn into FT in time. I'm not so sure I want to give up the position I have now since I enjoy working by myself, and the hours I was given. The HR person told me if I wanted to wait she would get back in touch with me when they have Saturday and Sunday available. She also wants me to keep in touch with her in case my situation should change. I had to take a test and that made me very nervous, but I passed with flying colors. She was pleased with my results so that was a big help.

When I first moved here I was very concerned about my future and how I would cope not being employed. If you read my earlier Threads you would know just how
frightened I was. I tried to think of all possibilties to survive. I was thinking of moving to another state, but decided to stick it out since I love the people here. It was a good decision because a very good friend of mine who is financially doing very well came to my rescue by helping me with my rent. She is aware that I'm currently working PT, but in my mailbox yesterday was a check from her for my May 1st rent. My PT job pays for my other expenses. I also received some money from my 92 year old an uncle who I didn't even know existed until last year. He gave a portion to a couple of his nieces and nephews. It didn't make me rich, but it was very helpful and deeply appreciated.

I consider myself very fortunate. For the first time in my life I'm living with less stress, enjoying the area I live in, love my pet cat, and just being able to relax and take one day at a time.

We will always have our share of problems, but somehow things do work out. I'm glad I didn't move again, and very happy that someone who truly cares about me took it upon herself to help me. She has helped many other people and once told me that the more she gives, the more she gets back. The Bible says "Give and you shall receive." This lady is NOT religious and it still works for her. This wonderful lady also pays all of her sisters expenses since her sister is not able to work.

I know how scared I was, and for the others who are facing financial difficulties on this Work and Employment Forum, I believe something "very good" will take place in your life. And since history always repeats itself; better times are coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment