Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:25 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpop200 View Post
So, should I give up the idea on ever working in an office?
In an unrelated note, most TV shows do show men mostly working in an office from what I can tell, not that it's important, just throwing that out there.
I'm not thinking of being a receptionist if thats what you think. =p
I'm not sure what you're considering to be an office job. If you're referring to what is generally regarded as a white collar job, the options range anywhere from entry level mail room clerk to CEO of a major corporation, and everything in between. You need to decide what field of work you are interested in, and what you have an aptitude for, and then get the training you need to do it. A clerk needs little more than a high school education. If you are aiming higher in the food chain you may need an advanced degree in a particular field (accounting, business management, information technology, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroElli View Post
My assistant is a wonderfully capable young gentleman, however he was there before I was.. I'm just lucky to have him. Perhaps you could look into temp agencies?? Alot of them offer supplemental training to help bring office skills up to speed. It also give you an opportunity to try on some different industries. Just a thought...
I hired a male admin. assistant and was very pleased. Answering phones and greeting clients was part of the job description as well.....so yes males can be receptionists.

This was at a non-profit art organization.

You might also want to visit your school's financial aid office. We often hired office workers through the local community college's work-study program.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 26,483 times
Yeah I was thinking of White Collar jobs. I guess I wondered which white collar jobs are in demand, and if its possible to get a job with an associates...

Old 04-11-2009, 05:50 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpop200 View Post
Yeah I was thinking of White Collar jobs. I guess I wondered which white collar jobs are in demand, and if its possible to get a job with an associates...

Well, if you want to know which white collar jobs are in demand, then you should go to the government web site " bureau of labor statistics". It will tell you! But as always, the white collar jobs in demand are the usual suspects, which are salespersons, marketers, engineers, math and science teachers, economists, business executives, computer scientists, statisticians, accountants, bi-lingual teachers, chemists, nurses, doctors, attorneys, 70 wpm typists, office assistants/secretaries, counselors, etc... plus the thousands of low paid customer service jobs that have now replaced the high paid, blue collar industry jobs...

And yes, if you are a student, at a large state school or a private well-respected school, you should have no problem getting a part-time administrative assistant position, either paid by the company or thru. financial aid work-study.

good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment