Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times

Advertisements

Whenever I call my "boss" (upper level management), he puts my call on speakerphone.

I never know who else is in the room, or why he does this. Perhaps he is busy and wants to do other things while I am talking to him, but it bugs me.

Either he is ignoring me or there is someone else in the room that he wants to share our conversation with. Either options does not work for me.

I really don't think it is my place to ask him not to do it. After all, I am pretty low on the totem pole.

Does this happen to anyone else? What do you do about it?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 10:02 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,789,849 times
I always ask "Am I on speakerphone?" and mention that I can't hear the person because of it.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I've used the same technique.

"Are you on speakerphone, because I'm having a hard time understanding you." Almost always they will pick up the phone.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:40 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
I had a supervisor who used to do that. I started going into her office to talk to her instead of calling. When she asked why I didn't just call I told her that I needed the exercise.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:58 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I HATE that.

One time a 'boss' did it to me when I was home injured with a sprained ankle. He had someone else in the office but didn't tell me. He led me on about this person (and the group) and I said some 'improper things' about this group. I found out later that the guy was in the room with the manager.

That's just the kind of crappy manager he was...I was home injured and he was looking to stab me in the back and get me in trouble with my coworkers...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
I don't see what the big deal is. I am not anyone's boss, but I use speakerphone all the time. It is a pretty common thing in a workplace...isn't it?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. I am not anyone's boss, but I use speakerphone all the time. It is a pretty common thing in a workplace...isn't it?
In my opinion it's actually pretty rude. How hard is it to actually reach over an pick up the phone? It can be really difficult to hear if you are on the other end of a speakerphone user, and it also leaves the impression that the conversation is unimportant to the person using the speakerphone.

One other thing, people using speakerphone tend to speak LOUDLY which can be disruptive to those around them. (Not to mention having to listen to the entire conversation to begin with.)

I had a former coworker who was a clerk who used speakerphone all the time. It was nicely suggested that it was disruptive to the office. Then she was outright told to pick up the phone. Finally she got written up for being disruptive and rude. She just couldn't understand what the problem was.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:23 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Speakerphone has some advantages for the workplace, and some disadvantages. Its like the handsfree cell phone. I use my speaker phone sometimes and also type on the keyboard with both hands free, while still talking. Multi-tasking, its beneficial and has a reason. In an open office setting to be put on sp, is rude, and obviously a tactic for some sort of office politics. Either way its not professional. You can handle it by lowering your voice, and lowering the volume more and more until the person has to pick up, explaining, maybe your speaker phone isn't picking up my voice very well, that normally does the trick. The other way to handle it, tell the person outright, this is a matter of confidentiality, and should only be heard by yourself and me, therefore I hope you protect this conversation and keep it discrete. Or, I need to talk to you privately, period. This may involve others on some things that you have told me to look in to. Turn it around some times, they get shook up, and the games they are playing, people know they do it to you, so therefore, they know they are like that, not trustworthy.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:38 PM

If you want or need to be able to type while on the phone, a headset is a far more professional solution.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:40 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Speakerphones suck, and IMO they are rude (and lazy) to the person on the other end of the phone. All one has to do is reach over and pick up the darn thing, unless it is a call with multiple people (that are necessary to the conversation) on the other end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment