U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2009, 08:25 AM

809 posts, read 1,789,311 times
Default Techno DJ???

I was wondering how hard it is to CREATE AND MIX tracks as a techno dj. I know the equipment can be quite expensive, but once you acquire it and learn how to use it properly, how HARD is it really to CREATE tracks and then mix tracks???

I'm not looking to do this so much as a JOB but more as a hobby that MAY one day LEAD to a job :P (so start as a hobby and see where it takes me)

For the past ten years, ever since I was about 15 I have LOVED techno music. It first started as a love for Progressive, and then morphed into a love of Trance and now I've morphed into a love of House and Electro. With every new "trend" of techno I fall in love with the music more and more and more. I STILL love all the old techno I first fell in love with, but it's like growing up, I've grown to love different kinds of techno now...........

My question is is there anyone out there that creates, produces, engineers, and mixes techno music that could give me some advice for what I need to learn......... I'd prefer NOT to make a lot of EXPENSIVE mistakes..........
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 08:41 AM

22,165 posts, read 28,963,847 times
There are actually some web forums specifically for this--you would probably get better advice from one of them. Look on Yahoo Groups.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:43 AM

8,837 posts, read 10,303,414 times
Techno is fairly easy to mix. Are you going to go with vinyl, CD's, MP3's etc? I learned on vinyl because that's all they had when I got started, but I feel it's still the best format to learn with. It gave me full range of control.

As for the business end of being a DJ, it's a door to door grind if you want to work the clubs. You have to go from club to club and speak with the manager to see if they are interested in a DJ. Most of the big clubs have their own sound system, so you won't need to worry about buying a lot of equipment to get started. If you strike out with management, all I can say is start hanging out in the clubs and getting to know the DJ's. It'll be hard at first because many of them will see you as someone looking to steal their job, but if you are cool with them and not pushy, you might get on their good side enough to where they will take you under their wing. But this takes time and patience. DJ's have to focus their attention on the crowd, handle requests, and keep the manager happy, which can be a big challenge if you have a manager who "thinks" he's a DJ.

If you have interest in other genre's, perhaps you can get started doing parties, weddings, and small bars and clubs. Offer to work as an assistant to an established Dj in your area to learn. Once you get comfortable you can start hitting up the bigger venues. It takes a lot of patience to do weddings and small bars though, because you get people from all walks of life slobbering over your equipment requesting obscure songs. Hauling equipment and setting it up can be a pain too. But that's the bread and butter of most DJ's out there, you start small and work your way up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment