Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:49 PM

177 posts, read 755,605 times

Advertisements

Not sure if you've all heard about this, but apparently there was a recent study where it said that occasional Internet use improves productivity (as long as you don't spend more than 20% of your day on the web).

So, my question is, how much of your workday is realistically spent on the Internet? Does it relate to how much you enjoy/feel fulfilled by your job?

Just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 04:07 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,858,106 times
It definitely helps me clear my brain. We have a company Twitter and posting Tweets in part of my job--fun!

Old 04-10-2009, 04:09 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,806,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
Not sure if you've all heard about this, but apparently there was a recent study where it said that occasional Internet use improves productivity (as long as you don't spend more than 20% of your day on the web).

So, my question is, how much of your workday is realistically spent on the Internet? Does it relate to how much you enjoy/feel fulfilled by your job?

Just curious...
Ok, hmm paid to be at work, Internet surfing. Nahhh, doesn't sound like a good mix if you want to keep the job. And IMO, of you are going to refer to "recent study" be specific, NAME IT, who did, where, when? So, No, just goofing off and you better hope you don't get caught otherwise you can surf the internet all day and night looking for another job.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:16 PM

177 posts, read 755,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Ok, hmm paid to be at work, Internet surfing. Nahhh, doesn't sound like a good mix if you want to keep the job. And IMO, of you are going to refer to "recent study" be specific, NAME IT, who did, where, when? So, No, just goofing off and you better hope you don't get caught otherwise you can surf the internet all day and night looking for another job.
OK, here.
Facebook, YouTube at work make better employees: study | Reuters
Freedom to surf: workers more productive if allowed to use the internet for leisure : News : The University of Melbourne

University of Melbourne, study on 300 workers, led by Brent Coker, published April 2.

I didn't know I needed to fully cite this out, as it was all over the news. You really don't need to be condescending about it, but thanks for your gracious response.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:39 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,127,431 times
My % of time on the net depends on how busy I am and what I'm up to. When I was looking for a home I probably spent 30-40% of my time on the net. We don't have set hours (all salaried except for the temps) so as long as the work is done, it doesn't matter. Today, I roamed the net for 45 min tops since I'm busy these days.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:40 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,494,586 times
You can play with numbers and statistics all you want--but if you're spending 20% of your workday surfing the net, not only aren't you productive, but you're probably on a fast track to receiving a pink slip.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:40 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,806,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablau View Post
OK, here.
Facebook, YouTube at work make better employees: study | Reuters
Freedom to surf: workers more productive if allowed to use the internet for leisure : News : The University of Melbourne

University of Melbourne, study on 300 workers, led by Brent Coker, published April 2.

I didn't know I needed to fully cite this out, as it was all over the news. You really don't need to be condescending about it, but thanks for your gracious response.
Actually because after you read the study you find out that the "controlled" study results were that: "within a reasonable limit of less than 20% of their total time in the office - are more productive by about 9% than those who don’t,” but, conversely, “Approximately 14% of internet users in Australia show signs of Internet Addiction – they don’t take breaks at appropriate times, they spend more than a ‘normal’ amount of time online, and can get irritable if they are interrupted while surfing.”
and also, According to the study of 300 workers, 70% of people who use the Internet at work engage in ‘Workplace Internet Leisure Browsing’"
So if you take those numbers just for 300 workers, that means that 210 of them would be surfing the internet on paid company time, while 42 of them are totally abusive of the internet and won't get off unless forced to, which also leads to morale issues for the other employees. The report doesn't take into consideration the affect that the loss of production the 14 percent of the people who work and get paid to work, but their lack of production is being pushed off on someone else. The domino effect. So, that is why I asked about the study, to read the background and understand how much information they really went compared to base the report on. Its not always as simple as it seems.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:05 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,630,268 times
That's a lot of time out of your day to surf the web. I surf the web during the day, but it's mainly on financial and news sites (i.e. CNBC), and I do it to keep up with what's going on in the markets. We actually have TVs on the floor that is on CNN all day. Add that to the fact that I'm a news junkie, but it also helps me keep up to date with how the market is and how my company (and competitors) will be impacted. The occassional city-data threads too

What gets me, is people who go online all day to shop and check joke sites. Those are complete waste of time.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:56 PM

732 posts, read 4,149,692 times
I was fired for it.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:03 PM

19,045 posts, read 25,127,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I was fired for it.
Were you warned first?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment