Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:12 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times

Advertisements

hmmm I have to agree with Weekend Guy! Why, because many employers don't look at the cover letter. Lost opportunities are terrible when you are a job seeker.

Based on what I have read, including an objective depends on the resume. I have read many mid-level /senior resumes that dont' have an objective.

But, if you are going to include an objective, i think it should be on the resume, not in a cover letter.

My resume currently does not have an objective. Instead I have a profile.

Current wisdom is that you should fit each resume to the specific job you are applying to, i.e see Weekend guy's suggestion.

If it is a blanket resume, then a profile or summary will work, since you dont' have a specific employer in mind, who you have just spent your entire weekend researching!

cheers!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Objective would be in the Cover Letter which would be attached to the resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 11:24 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
hmmm I have to agree with Weekend Guy! Why, because many employers don't look at the cover letter. Lost opportunities are terrible when you are a job seeker.

Based on what I have read, including an objective depends on the resume. I have read many mid-level /senior resumes that dont' have an objective.

But, if you are going to include an objective, i think it should be on the resume, not in a cover letter.

My resume currently does not have an objective. Instead I have a profile.

Current wisdom is that you should fit each resume to the specific job you are applying to, i.e see Weekend guy's suggestion.

If it is a blanket resume, then a profile or summary will work, since you dont' have a specific employer in mind, who you have just spent your entire weekend researching!

cheers!!

Well my resume does not have an objective instead a Career Summary discussing the years of experience I have in that position that was advertised and what skills I have that is connected to that position. Actually I just removed my Objective on the first day of April and once I did that I got a call back the same day or the next day.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Well my resume does not have an objective instead a Career Summary discussing the years of experience I have in that position that was advertised and what skills I have that is connected to that position. Actually I just removed my Objective on the first day of April and once I did that I got a call back the same day or the next day.

okay!! Current wisdom, does not always work.....

Do whatever works!!

If it doesn't work, then you know....

good luck with the interview tomorrow!! And Tues,/Thurs!!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:30 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
okay!! Current wisdom, does not always work.....

Do whatever works!!

If it doesn't work, then you know....

good luck with the interview tomorrow!! And Tues,/Thurs!!

Let's hope I don't need to go anywhere on Tuesday and Thursday if I have a STRONG Monday-lol

Old 04-26-2009, 11:31 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
FYI--I dropped the "Objective" off my resume about 15 years ago, and I've been hired for four management level jobs since.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:32 AM

378 posts, read 772,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
You should have a professional objective because us professional HR types like to know what your trade is. Tell us what your field of work is so we can slot you into the right pile. The key is using the right buzz words in your resume for the software to pick your resume out.
I thought that for a specific job opening HR would know that the resume and cover letter, for example Java deloper, is meant for that applied position? I've never had an objective in my resume, but than, I've always worked through recruiters, who were direct with the hiring manager. Please clarify.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:38 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times
Quote:
The Objective would be in the Cover Letter which would be attached to the resume.
Many cover letters are not read by us HR types.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:46 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Many cover letters are not read by us HR types.
So what if you receive a resume without a objective but instead has a Career Summary that is geared toward the advertised job opening and followed by my Professional Work Experience? You are telling me you would not be interested?

Old 04-26-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
So what if you receive a resume without a objective but instead has a Career Summary that is geared toward the advertised job opening and followed by my Professional Work Experience? You are telling me you would not be interested?

Actually, I liked your answer....

You are in fact, imo, doing an objective, but merging the lines between an objective 2 part format with the summary statement.

And if works, so be it.!

Creativity if it works, imo, always wins the day.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:28 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,172 times
Quote:
You assume recruiters and hiring managers actually read the resume line by line. At best we scan the resumes in a few seconds and put into piles based on our job openings. If we have to guess or it appears the resume is to general and the person has no specific career or trade, the resume goes in the reject pile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment