Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:06 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Gypsysoul-

That is so cool that you have started the special ed group!
Thanks, we had to because we now live in a rural area with few local resources. Our son has Asperger's and we want to meet others in the same boat, share information, experiences.

Unless you have a special ed. kid you do not know what it is like for them or for your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 PM

303 posts, read 846,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
One thing is for sure. No one will knock on your door and offer you a job. And staying at home is a recipe for depression.
I know. I have looked for volunteer opportunities as well and still haven't gotten a single bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Funny thing around here, I tried to volunteer (as in calling and setting up things) at 3 different places...no one is very eager for 'even volunteers' these days.
That's been my experience too. I tried checking with the local library and hospital, they say they're not even considering volunteers either. And I even tried applying to Americorps, and they say, "Sorry, budget cuts have forced us into a recruiting freeze." It's that bad.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:24 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
I know. I have looked for volunteer opportunities as well and still haven't gotten a single bite.

That's been my experience too. I tried checking with the local library and hospital, they say they're not even considering volunteers either. And I even tried applying to Americorps, and they say, "Sorry, budget cuts have forced us into a recruiting freeze." It's that bad.
Have you called your local United Way and Habitat for Humanity?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Have you called your local United Way and Habitat for Humanity?

i agree with Annerk!!

You guys/gals are just asking the wrong people. For example, I have gotten three offers for volunteer positions in the past 3 months. One was for the prison law project, second was for the AClU and the last was for the board of education.

you gals/guys are giving up too easily.

But yes, of course like a real job, volunteer orgs, prefer someone who actually has some experience!

keep asking!!

p.s. Remember I applied as if it was a real job. I sent a very professional cover letter along with example of my work and a professional resume!! And then went in for an interview.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Actually, I never gave up. I 'spearheaded a new initiative' like I said by starting my own volunteer organization. I was perfectly willing help at a local library, a food bank, or local adult education facility. But after emailing and calling several times, I felt I could take my experience elsewhere.

I don't feel like you should have to chase places down to volunteer. That's my opinion. No one has to agree with it, and no, you don't need to tell me 'it's arrogant' to value what you can bring to a place.

In Vermont it's considered de rigueur to volunteer, especially because of the lack of socializing & employment opportunities. People do it to get experience, keep their resumes current, and of course, to help out others.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I don't feel like you should have to chase places down to volunteer..
I see your point, but on the other hand, both of you have something of value! You, your strong work ethic and them, the organization, the abilty to give you work experience, new skills, and a great reference.

A two sided street!

But yes, I daily wonder why I don't get more thank yous!! It is like they forget you are working for free....

Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
i agree with Annerk!!

You guys/gals are just asking the wrong people. For example, I have gotten three offers for volunteer positions in the past 3 months. One was for the prison law project, second was for the AClU and the last was for the board of education.

you gals/guys are giving up too easily.

But yes, of course like a real job, volunteer orgs, prefer someone who actually has some experience!

keep asking!!

p.s. Remember I applied as if it was a real job. I sent a very professional cover letter along with example of my work and a professional resume!! And then went in for an interview.

LOL, I'm laughing because I just finished doing that 5 minutes ago for a Prison Project helping fathers. I applied like it was for a job but it was for a Volunteer Opportunity.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 16,557 times
I'm 38.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 16,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
this is terrible !! I am sorry. I know how discouraged this can be. There must be something wrong, maybe you can post your resume leave out your name and address and we can take alook. There has to be something on it that just does not click. I mean thats the only answer. Please have someone take alook at your resume /a smart friend, anyone and get some outside opinions. Something on that damn paper turns people off.

Here's my resume: (I pick the necessary objective line I need for the position I'm applying for.)

PROFESSIONAL OBJECTIVE
[CENTER][CENTER] [/CENTER][/CENTER]
·To seek a career in Quality Assurance/Quality Control that will utilize proven defect finding ability of manufactured products, software, and written material.
·To find a Management position that utilizes my initiative, and proven leadership skills.
·To find a Clerical position that utilizes my initiative, and excellent practical & technical problem solving skills.

QUALIFICATIONS

·COMPUTER & TECHNICAL
Participated in Six Sigma project to improve scrap reporting for manufacturing company. Lead the collection and classification of different imperfections found in manufactured wire & cable product. Instructed employees of new classifications and proper scrap code usage.
Tested manufactured wire & cable products for impedance, attenuation, cross-talk and speed propagation using 11802 oscilloscope and AESA Cortaillod testing equipment.
Substitute taught Beginning & Intermediate Excel classes for St Johns River Community College Workforce program.
Designed and programmed SQL relational database application using MSAccess to replace the use of multiple Excel spreadsheets for monthly parking administration. Application included customer information entry, payment tracking, and reporting of individual parking lot monthly income.
Created aesthetic application forms using MSWord that were faxed or emailed to prospective customers. Forms contained specific text entry fields that provided ease of use for customers to fill-in information electronically.
Programmed VB components of video-enabled conference ACD (automatic call distributor) system.
Programmed upgrade enhancements and bug fixes in VB and Mumps for hospital lab software product.
Devised bug tracking system, utilized by all developers, to document code changes.
Set-up new Local Area Network, installed hardware & software and established company DSL connection.
[CENTER][CENTER] [/CENTER][/CENTER]
·MANAGEMENT
Managed valet staff for special events. Determined personnel requirements, handled scheduling, payroll, informed staff of event details and customer expectations, arranged job assignments based on individual expertise, communicated with staff during event using two-way radios.
Managed monthly parking rental lots; handled all new & existing customer accounts and payments.
Managed the set-up, and operation of sound & lighting equipment for jazz and comedy shows at venues such as The Fox Theater, Chateau Elan and Dave & Busters.

·ORGANIZATION & COORDINATION
Worked with event planners, entertainers and venue personnel to organize events and meet patron needs.
Organized and managed educational scripts, and costumes for acting studio and theater.
Coordinated computer system upgrade project while staying under budget for small manufacturing company. Streamlined filing system, and disposed of obsolete office equipment and records.

WORK HISTORY

· Machine Operator & Respool Inspector, Carlisle Interconnect Technologies, St. Augustine, FL 09/06-7/08
· Retail Salesperson, Petsmart, Atlanta, GA 03/05-08/06
· Valet Event Manager & Monthly Parking Manager, AmeriPark, Atlanta, GA 02/02-10/04
· Office Administrator, American United Life Insurance Company, Marietta, GA, 9/00-3/01
· Office Administrator, Hallcrest Inc., Norcross, GA, 2/99-8/00
· Production Assistant/Sound Engineer, Gwen Hughes & Laughing Matters, Atlanta, GA, (PT) 2/99-12/99
· Contract Software Developer, ImagINe (USA), Inc., Norcross, GA, 4/98-8/98
· Associate Software Developer, Sunquest Information Systems, Inc., Tucson, AZ, 10/96-2/98

EDUCATION

Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
Bachelor of Computer Engineering, Cooperative Plan
Dean’s List 7 quarters.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:51 PM

I have to say that I am not 100 percent fond of your resume. I will tweak it, when i get home tonight. I am uncomfortable with the stuff i have highlighted! good luck!

WORK HISTORY

· Machine Operator & Respool Inspector, Carlisle Interconnect Technologies, St. Augustine, FL 09/06-7/08
· Retail Salesperson, Petsmart, Atlanta, GA 03/05-08/06
· Valet Event Manager & Monthly Parking Manager, AmeriPark, Atlanta, GA 02/02-10/04
· Office Administrator, American United Life Insurance Company, Marietta, GA, 9/00-3/01
· Office Administrator, Hallcrest Inc., Norcross, GA, 2/99-8/00
· Production Assistant/Sound Engineer, Gwen Hughes & Laughing Matters, Atlanta, GA, (PT) 2/99-12/99
· Contract Software Developer, ImagINe (USA), Inc., Norcross, GA, 4/98-8/98
· Associate Software Developer, Sunquest Information Systems, Inc., Tucson, AZ, 10/96-2/98

EDUCATION

Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
Bachelor of Computer Engineering, Cooperative Plan
Dean’s List 7 quarters.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment