U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 09:44 PM

9,361 posts, read 21,519,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Thanks, we had to because we now live in a rural area with few local resources. Our son has Asperger's and we want to meet others in the same boat, share information, experiences.

Unless you have a special ed. kid you do not know what it is like for them or for your family.
I have a friend who is in his 70s. He was misdiagnosed for most of his life and only in his 60s was correctly diagnosed as having Aspergers. He wrote a book about it and is now married to a woman who is high functioning autistic. They recently moved to the country in GA from Ft. Lauderdal and are having a wonderful time- animals seem to be drawn to them.

Sorry to get OT.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 07:57 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I see your point, sinsativ!! I think the op had education last as well!

But I would add that students graduating from college or law school tend to have their education up front and center?

Why? Because they are entering into a new field, which they have less than 3 years or no experience.

If you go onto the Cornell and Yale career sites, as I did in preparation of assisting this Op, you will see education first.

just a thought! ;-)
All the programs I've read , templates that are available etc for resumes shows education next to last on a resume, with references being last.
That may have changed though in the last 3 years. I haven't done a resume in 3 years, and times sure are different.

Mrs. P

Old 04-26-2009, 08:00 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
I know. I have looked for volunteer opportunities as well and still haven't gotten a single bite

Are you saying even Red Cross doesn't want volunteers? Salvation Army?
Goodwill? HOSPITALS?

Old 04-26-2009, 08:54 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,892,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets95 View Post
Here's my resume: (I pick the necessary objective line I need for the position I'm applying for.)

Resume omitted
Wow. I found it a lot of work to get through your resume. There are too many words. I want to look at your resume and know right away what I've got. I'm talking about 15 or 20 seconds. Cut way down on the words. Use bullets.

I know that you tell someone much more about you using a lot of prose. But don't forget, I'm only going to look at it for 30 seconds AT THE MOST. I need to know who you are in less than 30 seconds. Especially the way things are today, I've got thousands and thousands of resumes to look at. Do everything you can do to make my job easier.

Other than re-working your resume or providing you with mine as an example, thats about it in a nutshell. I'm afraid your resume may get trashed before anyone really knows who you are.

- Reel

Old 04-26-2009, 09:39 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,892,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets95 View Post
Here's my resume: (I pick the necessary objective line I need for the position I'm applying for.)

PROFESSIONAL OBJECTIVE
[CENTER][CENTER] [/CENTER][/CENTER]
To seek a career in Quality Assurance/Quality Control that will utilize proven defect finding ability of manufactured products, software, and written material.
To find a Management position that utilizes my initiative, and proven leadership skills.
To find a Clerical position that utilizes my initiative, and excellent practical & technical problem solving skills.

QUALIFICATIONS

COMPUTER & TECHNICAL
Participated in Six Sigma project to improve scrap reporting for manufacturing company. Lead the collection and classification of different imperfections found in manufactured wire & cable product. Instructed employees of new classifications and proper scrap code usage.
Tested manufactured wire & cable products for impedance, attenuation, cross-talk and speed propagation using 11802 oscilloscope and AESA Cortaillod testing equipment.
Substitute taught Beginning & Intermediate Excel classes for St Johns River Community College Workforce program.
Designed and programmed SQL relational database application using MSAccess to replace the use of multiple Excel spreadsheets for monthly parking administration. Application included customer information entry, payment tracking, and reporting of individual parking lot monthly income.
Created aesthetic application forms using MSWord that were faxed or emailed to prospective customers. Forms contained specific text entry fields that provided ease of use for customers to fill-in information electronically.
Programmed VB components of video-enabled conference ACD (automatic call distributor) system.
Programmed upgrade enhancements and bug fixes in VB and Mumps for hospital lab software product.
Devised bug tracking system, utilized by all developers, to document code changes.
Set-up new Local Area Network, installed hardware & software and established company DSL connection.
[CENTER][CENTER] [/CENTER][/CENTER]
MANAGEMENT
Managed valet staff for special events. Determined personnel requirements, handled scheduling, payroll, informed staff of event details and customer expectations, arranged job assignments based on individual expertise, communicated with staff during event using two-way radios.
Managed monthly parking rental lots; handled all new & existing customer accounts and payments.
Managed the set-up, and operation of sound & lighting equipment for jazz and comedy shows at venues such as The Fox Theater, Chateau Elan and Dave & Busters.

ORGANIZATION & COORDINATION
Worked with event planners, entertainers and venue personnel to organize events and meet patron needs.
Organized and managed educational scripts, and costumes for acting studio and theater.
Coordinated computer system upgrade project while staying under budget for small manufacturing company. Streamlined filing system, and disposed of obsolete office equipment and records.

WORK HISTORY

Machine Operator & Respool Inspector, Carlisle Interconnect Technologies, St. Augustine, FL 09/06-7/08
Retail Salesperson, Petsmart, Atlanta, GA 03/05-08/06
Valet Event Manager & Monthly Parking Manager, AmeriPark, Atlanta, GA 02/02-10/04
Office Administrator, American United Life Insurance Company, Marietta, GA, 9/00-3/01
Office Administrator, Hallcrest Inc., Norcross, GA, 2/99-8/00
Production Assistant/Sound Engineer, Gwen Hughes & Laughing Matters, Atlanta, GA, (PT) 2/99-12/99
Contract Software Developer, ImagINe (USA), Inc., Norcross, GA, 4/98-8/98
Associate Software Developer, Sunquest Information Systems, Inc., Tucson, AZ, 10/96-2/98

EDUCATION

Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA
Bachelor of Computer Engineering, Cooperative Plan
Deanís List 7 quarters.
A couple of points.

1. The first thing I'm faced with after your 'Objective' is a massive paragraph under 'Computer and Technical'. It makes my brain hurt just to look at all those words. This is your strong point. Make it easier to read. Cut down on the words. Use bullets. Maybe years as bullets and high light key words and phrases:

2003 Technical Support Set-up new Local Area Network, installed hardware & software and established company DSL connection. (indent all but the year which I couldn't do here.)

2. Another strong point - You graduated from and did well at Georgia Tech which just happens to be a damned good school. Why do I have to wait until I get to the very end of your resume to learn that?

3. Your work experience is backwards. You need to put the most recent first. The first thing that popped out at me was that you worked for Petsmart! Who cares. It used up a period of time to show you were not unemployed. Otherwise it does not help you. Why not start with:

1996 - 1998 Sunquest Information Systems, Inc., Tucson, AZ
Associate Software Developer

4. This computer and technical stuff IS you. You know that which is why you put the computer and technical category first. But you consistently put the good stuff at the bottom including setting up the LAN, your employement at Sunquest and your Georgia Tech education, etc.

5. You need to do a lot of word cutting and you need to do enough of it to get this resume down to one page.

I sent out two resumes over the last year or so and got two interviews. One was working for Dell doing desktop support. They seemed interested when I told them that I would be very good at it but the rest of that sentence was that I would be bored stupid doing it. It ended the interview when I told them that they would have to pay me about $65,000 per year to do it. Of course I'm sure I'd have been interested in the job had I been unemployed.

There are computer jobs out there right now. Dell has got to be hiring now with the contract they have working with IBM on the State of Georgia contract. They are going to need lots more people. Catching on with a company like Dell in any capacity would be a 'no brainer' in my opinion.

I need to know just by looking at your resume (NOT by reading it) that you are a techie, a ramlin' wreck, and you worked for Sunquest Information Systems, etc, etc.

I hope this helps.

Reel

Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 AM

335 posts, read 639,603 times
I would break the top of your resume into the following sections:

Technical Skills: Visual Basic, SQL, ...
Education:

As for the rest, I agree with Reel.

P.S. Personally, I don't believe in Professional Objective section. It's too limiting...

Old 04-26-2009, 11:51 AM

2,365 posts, read 9,938,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
Are you saying even Red Cross doesn't want volunteers? Salvation Army?
Goodwill? HOSPITALS?

Very good point!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 AM

26,582 posts, read 50,186,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post

Education:

P.S. Personally, I don't believe in Professional Objective section. It's too limiting...
Agreed. I hate "Objective" on a resume. That information belongs in a cover letter.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:56 AM

943 posts, read 2,583,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post

Education:

You should have a professional objective because us professional HR types like to know what your trade is. Tell us what your field of work is so we can slot you into the right pile. The key is using the right buzz words in your resume for the software to pick your resume out.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:06 PM
FBJ

39,616 posts, read 44,949,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
You should have a professional objective because us professional HR types like to know what your trade is. Tell us what your field of work is so we can slot you into the right pile. The key is using the right buzz words in your resume for the software to pick your resume out.

The Objective would be in the Cover Letter which would be attached to the resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment