U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:44 PM
FBJ

39,616 posts, read 44,887,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
You assume recruiters and hiring managers actually read the resume line by line. At best we scan the resumes in a few seconds and put into piles based on our job openings. If we have to guess or it appears the resume is to general and the person has no specific career or trade, the resume goes in the reject pile.
well i doubt if you would put mine in the reject pile since the first line of my resume is connected to the open position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 01:47 PM

3,196 posts, read 4,503,879 times
I have 25 years of business experience. CIO, CFO, CAO. I am a CMA, I have a B.S. an MBA and a Doctorate. I started teaching at the university (assistant professor) 4 years ago. I am on target to make tenure.....
.........but I got laid off...now I'm collecting unemployment...not because I'm a crummy teacher or researcher...but because of a lack of students and funding!!!!

I've been out of work now for 6 months and unemployment is going to run out. I have a home, children, pets, etc. I am REALLY worried.

I apply for EVERYTHING on line. I use head hunters. I send out blind letters.....

any ideas?????

Old 04-26-2009, 01:54 PM

26,582 posts, read 50,134,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
I have 25 years of business experience. CIO, CFO, CAO. I am a CMA, I have a B.S. an MBA and a Doctorate. I started teaching at the university (assistant professor) 4 years ago. I am on target to make tenure.....
.........but I got laid off...now I'm collecting unemployment...not because I'm a crummy teacher or researcher...but because of a lack of students and funding!!!!

I've been out of work now for 6 months and unemployment is going to run out. I have a home, children, pets, etc. I am REALLY worried.

I apply for EVERYTHING on line. I use head hunters. I send out blind letters.....

any ideas?????
It's my understanding that community colleges have seen a surge in student populations and are hiring adjunct as a result. Also with your background you should be able to find a finance/accounting job.

Old 04-26-2009, 01:55 PM

2,365 posts, read 9,931,954 times
Idea: Go to Las Vegas and Network! Here is the link of their upcoming event:

National Association of Colleges and Employers (http://www.naceweb.org/default.asp - broken link)

It is cheap to get there if you start now with travelocity alerts to your email.

good luck

p.s. See if they have a hostel or inexpensive bed /breakfast or look at the temporary/vacation rentals on Craigs List!

Quote:

any ideas?????

Old 04-26-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
It's my understanding that community colleges have seen a surge in student populations and are hiring adjunct as a result. Also with your background you should be able to find a finance/accounting job.
It is just as bad for me as you guys....looking at all that...

Old 04-26-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Idea: Go to Las Vegas and Network! Here is the link of their upcoming event:

National Association of Colleges and Employers (http://www.naceweb.org/default.asp - broken link)

It is cheap to get there if you start now with travelocity alerts to your email.

good luck

p.s. See if they have a hostel or inexpensive bed /breakfast or look at the temporary/vacation rentals on Craigs List!

Thanks...I'll check that one out! If it works, I owe you one!!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
It is just as bad for me as you guys....looking at all that...
I didn't mean a long term top level job. Have you gotten in with the temp agencies like Robert Half?

Old 04-26-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I didn't mean a long term top level job. Have you gotten in with the temp agencies like Robert Half?
Yep...."over qualified--you'll quit on us" UGH>>>>>grrr.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Yep...."over qualified--you'll quit on us" UGH>>>>>grrr.
Not if you are looking for adjunct and temp work. How many community colleges expect their adjuncts to stay around long term?

Adjunct work would look better than nothing on your CV.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:05 PM

2,365 posts, read 9,931,954 times
i am not sure if you are interested but they are hiring guidance counselors where i work.

I listed the job on my 10 plus employers thread down below. But can send it again.

Couple of things, it is in Philadelphia and it is helpful if you are a minority.

cheers!

Quote:

any ideas?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment