U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:05 AM

731 posts, read 3,638,653 times

Advertisements

how old are you gojackets95?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:09 AM

26,582 posts, read 49,735,045 times
I have a friend who is the HR manager at a local big box. They won't even consider people who are out of work in another field and looking for employment because they know that as soon as that person gets a job in their actual field they'll be gone, and often without notice.

They are looking for people who have had a career in retail, hospitality, and food service, because those job seekers are making lateral moves, so the chances of them looming for another job and leaving are far lower.

Have any of you considered contract work?

If you have a background in finance, real estate, or law, look to mortgage companies. Mortgage companies are hiring contract workers left and right. Here in the Orlando area there are at least three mortgage companies looking for contract processors--those with experience are making about $40K.

For those with experience in administrative work, web design, writing/editing, and marketing, look at virtual assistant jobs. There are several web sites you can sign up with--don't sign up with any that require you to pay, the reputable ones charge the client. Clients post jobs and a range that they are willing to pay, and then you can bid on the job--it's not always the lowest bidder, but rather the one with great skills and references offering a reasonable fee for the work. Some of the projects are small--creating a 15 page powerpoint presentation that might take you a few hours for example that pays maybe $50, but others are large and complex--creating a 30 page web site with an ecommerce companent and a variety of forms that might take a week or two and pay a couple grand. I took a few small Powerpoint jobs while I was job hunting because I could make up to $75 a week without it affecting my unemployment, and to be honest, I enjoy working with powerpoint, so it was "fun" money.

For programmers/MIS/networking, try ACS. They are continually hiring and have locations all over the US. They suck to work for, but it's a job that will keep your skills current and potentially expose you to a lot of people to network with for a better position. Additionally they will hire you for a job that is below your skill set and allow you to transition to a different positioin within their organization when one opens. So a DBA could get hired to do QA and then move up once a DBA opens. ACS currently lists over 250 available positions in the US on their web site--I have a feeling there are quite a few more as well that they don't even have listed.

Granted none of those are neccesarily ideal jobs, but they are jobs that will provide income and networking opportunities.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:11 AM

6,764 posts, read 18,342,487 times
**THERE ARE NO JOBS**
It's not you. You are not an idiot. Nor am I, or anyone else out of work.

There is a recession.

Here in Vermont it went from bad to horrific. I can't see staying here unless things change dramatically.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:17 AM

173 posts, read 875,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
**THERE ARE NO JOBS**

There is a recession.

Here in Vermont it went from bad to horrific. I can't see staying here unless things change dramatically.
Sorry to hear that GS22!
I think the whole professional world has gone crazy!
I mean people take 40% cut's in their salary, people accepting short-time, no where contracting positions, many people seeking the route of "underemployment", and employers not sure of who exactly to hire.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 AM

26,582 posts, read 49,735,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
**THERE ARE NO JOBS**

There is a recession.

I have to disagree. I know of at least a dozen people who have gotten new jobs in the past 4-6 weeks. They are in FL, GA, IN, NJ, NY, VT, CA, and OR. The pay ranges from $10/hour to $200K/year. Three of them are over $100K a year jobs. All but one are full time. The one part time was a person only looking for part time to begin with--and that was the $10 an hour job.

It's bad out there. I'll give you that. But to make a sweeping statement and add empasis that there are no jobs, well, that's just not true. Good luck to everyone looking.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 18,342,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have to disagree. I know of at least a dozen people who have gotten new jobs in the past 4-6 weeks. They are in FL, GA, IN, NJ, NY, VT, CA, and OR. The pay ranges from $10/hour to $200K/year. Three of them are over $100K a year jobs. All but one are full time. The one part time was a person only looking for part time to begin with--and that was the $10 an hour job.

It's bad out there. I'll give you that. But to make a sweeping statement and add empasis that there are no jobs, well, that's just not true. Good luck to everyone looking.
Well making sweeping statements like, "play the game" or 'wear a nice suit' and you will get hired doesn't help those of us looking for work.

Let's agree to disagree...

Old 04-11-2009, 11:08 AM

8,652 posts, read 14,007,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

You know 12 that got jobs last month while 630,000 lost their jobs in the same month. I really don't know what to say about that.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:11 AM

8,652 posts, read 14,007,914 times
Corporate America has shipped millions of jobs overseas for their bottom line... They don't really care if you have a job or not. Sorry, but it's true.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:32 AM

16,417 posts, read 26,117,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Corporate America has shipped millions of jobs overseas for their bottom line... They don't really care if you have a job or not. Sorry, but it's true.
That's it in a nutshell. Add to that the influx of foreign L1 or H1 visa workers and illegal aliens ... and of course there are less jobs for those of us who are actually American citizens or permanent residents! I got harassed on another thread for posting against the J visas for foreign college students because others thought I was being "petty" as the foreign students only wanted to work here for a few months. Well, my coworker with 2 sons in college told me a story about AMERICAN college kids looking for summer jobs. One of her sons went out looking in the usual places, stores, restaurants, etc., and was told that there were no jobs because they had already hired a lot of out of work older adults. Fortunately, her other son can get him in at his summer job, but there are many other college kids who don't have that option, YET we are GIVING IT ALL AWAY EVERYDAY and people who tell me I'm cracked because I would rather see American taxpayers get the jobs than foreigners looking "to see America and get paid at the same time" are part of the problem!

Old 04-11-2009, 11:35 AM

11,745 posts, read 15,570,123 times
My husband and I are having to move back in with family in florida because we both lost our jobs last year and cannot find any work except 7.00 an hr work but that would be okay while we live with family and hopefully the market will bounce back and we will be working in our field again at some point and start over again . It was so bad last year that we had to sell our house to get out from under it or we would have drowned in it . It is not you . My husband and I are fairly well educated people and I have an administrative background and my husband has a management background and we can only get pt work which does not pay the bills unfortunatelyso now we would be up a creek without our family helping us .I am very gratefull for my family helping us .I just hate the 800 plus mile move that we are having to make !!!with two dogs and a parrot !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment