Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:35 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times

Advertisements

They are curious how you approach the question, that matters more than the question itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 09:17 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
say no of course not.
Reminds me of a story where a local college asked students to bring back cafeteria lunch trays. They were walking out with them so they could use them for sliding down snow hills. The administration said they just want them back. No one's going to get reprimanded. STUDENTS GOT REPRIMANDED. Following that, nobody ever returned them when another same request was sent out

Old 11-01-2018, 07:03 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
If I am unemployed on my last dollar I will say NO. Being able to eat is more important than integrity at a certain point. Plus that is probably not an employer I will be at for long - I don't care if they find out before I leave that I was lying.

If I am currently employed and have the pick of the litter I will proudly say YES. Because I don't want to work for an employer that judges based on that criteria. They are seeking out negatives instead of what I can bring to the table.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:24 PM

245 posts, read 152,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Lie!!!!!!!!!
This, seriously. Many employers expect candidates to be perfect. Nobody is perfect. If you aren't perfect and got fired from a job, for example, you just have to pretend that it didn't happen.

Integrity is a great virtue, but it goes out the window when it comes to putting food on the table. We all have to eat.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:45 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Of course. I have been fired many times when the workload dropped off. I don't know if they accept that.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:49 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Re: the interview question: "Tell me something I will disapprove of that may cost you this opportunity while trying to put your best foot forward!"

I'm not one to interview just to see what's out there if I'm happy where I am. Therefore, I usually don't even go on interviews if I really don't want the job. But even if I wanted the job -- honest to God -- I think if I were asked the above question I'd have to be brutally honest, and hope they appreciate my honesty -- and if they don't so be it.

I'd say:
"I'm putting my best foot forward by being frank and hope you appreciate honesty, and that you would want someone here at xyz company who would be honest. I am an award-winning "fill in the blank," I've had a long, more than 20-year career at the most elite level of my profession. I hose to accept a voluntary buy-out to look for challenging opportunities where I can bring my skills and experience to a place as excellent as my previous company, a leader in its field. I have XYZ experience. I have achieved XYZ. And here I am -- asked to tell you something you would disapprove of that may cost me this opportunity. So I will offer you this: something about your company's hiring process is broken and you are missing some great hires -- if you are asking this question. If it's the "personality based" interview you're used to, or the "stress" interview style you're forcing people to endure ...whatever the reason, I find it the most inane and insulting question. If you appreciate my honesty we can continue with the interview. If not, and you'd like to end it right now I'd certainly be disappointed because I'd believe I can immediately XYZ value to XYZ company -- But I would not be surprised, given that the question was asked at all. Shall we continue?"

Thank goodness I've never been asked THAT question, because I honestly DO think I would lose it and not be able to hide my disgust. Going in for an interview and knowing your age may count against is one thing. But sometimes I think being a mature professional and dealing with the BS interview questions is even harder. I just can't abide, suffer and accept the BS as much as I used to.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:56 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I was fired with no warning and previous disciplinary action from a contract IT support job. I don't list it on my resume (it gets balled up under "various contracts"), and wouldn't use anyone from that job as a reference (if they even remember me) to begin with.

I'd just say "no" as there is no way to really disprove it.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:01 AM

6,799 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Never seen this as an interview question, it's a fairly common application form question though (I'd say maybe 10-15% of them will ask it). You have to weigh a few things there. You do have to consider that the recruiter may disregard your application simply by you answering "Yes" regardless of the circumstances. It's an easy way to narrow down candidates initially.

You do also have to consider that if you answer No, but it's not true, that it could come back to haunt you if they run references..which might be right there and then or later on if say you apply for a better position in the same company. It could be quite devastating to get fired instead of promoted especially if you invested a lot of time into it.

The grey area will always be things like small part-time jobs you had in H.S. or college, especially if that's already several years in the past. I think in those cases, everyone's gotta figure out the risks and the ethics for themselves.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:54 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I just think it's a silly question to ask. I mean, for one, who, especially as you get older, has not been disciplined on a job at least once. Maybe not as many have been fired, but come on.
I just think of "Nazi" like/possible unemployee friendly place to work if I see a question like that on a job application.
Maybe someone can enlighten me, however, it seems to me that if an employer or interviewer sees that (that you've been fired and or disciplined), that 90% of the time, they are going to say, thanks but no thanks, to offering you a job.
That's why, IMO, almost no one will answer yes to that question, in spite of what they say about "consideration" of the firing/discipline.

"Nazi-like?" been in the work place long? wow

Old 11-05-2018, 03:55 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
who, especially as you get older, has not been disciplined on a job at least once. Maybe not as many have been fired, but come on.
Who? Me, that's who.
In my more than 30 years of working....corrected by management in a given instance, or performing a task? Yes.
Official discipline note in my personnel file? Absolutely not.
I don't think it's that hard to NOT have been disciplined.
I have no idea what the numbers are. But if anywhere near even half of workers have had a reprimand or any kind of disciplinary action in their employee file.....that's sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment