Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 AM

710 posts, read 1,961,289 times

Advertisements

Annerk, thanks for your insights about your memories of the 70s. I appreciated your perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I am not underestimating... just saying that this 2009 recession is not a normal cyclical down turn! but a serious recession that may not end within 5 years!!
Again, this is no worse than it was in the 70's. We began to see signs of recovery in the early 80's--about a year after we hit rock bottom.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Again, this is no worse than it was in the 70's. We began to see signs of recovery in the early 80's--about a year after we hit rock bottom.

you say 5 years...i say 5 plus years...well we shall see, won't we?? ;-)

Old 04-17-2009, 12:20 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
cute, my thread turned into an economic war.

anyway, back to the original topic, I have not yet talked with anyone from the financial aid department because I literally just found out and have not yet had time to do so. I will be emailing someone tomorrow, though, because I already filled out the FAFSA, and just need to figure out what is eligible for me.

And, if you must know, I am getting a Masters in Urban Planning and Policy, and I intend on focusing on transportation, mass transit in particular. I intend on working for the CTA, if not one of the other transit authorities, and getting this degree will get me to that goal if I work hard and apply myself enough, considering the fact that these agencies work very closely with the school I'm going to.

But, you know, please, please, please tell me how it was a stupid decision and will wind up without a job and debt up to my ears... because last time I checked I'm pretty sure I have some lofty goals, which I plan on achieving, despite the "omgz the end of the world!" economy.

Considering the fact I'm coming from a journalism background, which is an industry that's looking uglier and uglier each day, this can't wind up much worse considering the fact planning and transit are something i'm actually interested in (don't even get me started on why I wound up with a degree I don't care about, thanks.)

Also, the reason I'm in trouble with my one job is not totally because we lost some business, which we did, but because my boss has done quite a bit of irresponsible spending these last few months (as well as not following up with the clients we have lost), but who am I to say anything, really?

Old 04-17-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I have not yet talked with anyone from the financial aid department ...
And, I am getting a Masters in Urban Planning and Policy, ?
Well, great!! talking to financial aid about workstudy, might be the answer!! good luck!

It does help to know the field the person is in as it guides the responses....to know if they are a writer or a IT person or engineering...since some skills can earn the person money easier than others!!

no ideas come to mind regarding your field, at the moment.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post

i thought you might be interested in what Soros had to say:

Soros predicts worst recession for 50 years

Amid collapsing stock prices worldwide, the billionaire investor George Soros has told an Austrian daily, the Standard, that the United States is threatened with recession and the world is facing the worst financial crisis in half a century. "The situation is much more serious than any other financial crisis since the end of World War II," Soros was quoted as saying.

People: Soros predicts worst recession for 50 years | News | The First Post

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/13846,...your-money-now

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/13846,...ur-money-now,2

Last edited by gea12345; 04-17-2009 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 01:52 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,233,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
i thought you might be interested in what Soros had to say:

Soros predicts worst recession for 50 years

Amid collapsing stock prices worldwide, the billionaire investor George Soros has told an Austrian daily, the Standard, that the United States is threatened with recession and the world is facing the worst financial crisis in half a century. "The situation is much more serious than any other financial crisis since the end of World War II," Soros was quoted as saying.

People: Soros predicts worst recession for 50 years | News | The First Post
that headline is misleading, it should say "worst recession IN 50 years."

Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM

"Synchronised world recessions striking all major regions are "historically rare" events, the Fund said. They last one and a half times as long typical downturns, and are followed by painfully slow recoveries"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/5166956/IMF-warns-over-parallels-to-Great-Depression.html

"In spite of major banks promising to work with troubled mortgage holders to keep them in their homes, almost 370,000 families have lost their homes so far this year."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/financialcrisis/5160652/US-housing-data-puts-Obamas-hopes-on-hold.html

Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Perhaps "for' means "in' in the U.K. Dont' know, dont' care, since the point is understandign the predicament we are in, not how a reporter might phrase a preposition or how one of the richest guys does. But a quote should be left a quote...

hmmm ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment