Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 12:23 PM

378 posts, read 770,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
i don't understand,... you said in your original post, that you were never really out of the job market, since you part-timed since? right?

so you should already have a big network with recent employers? right?

good luck!

well, the only other option is to Bypass the headhunters, recruiters!
Wow! Just noticed the good luck

Are you being supportive or what? What's with question/sarcasm? Me thinks you've got some anger issues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 01:00 PM

959 posts, read 1,818,901 times
You cannot expect to take years off work to be a SAHM and then when your ready, walk right back into the positions you were in before. You cannot have it both ways. I know this sounds harsh but this is the way it is.

Kristine

Old 04-16-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
You cannot expect to take years off work to be a SAHM and then when your ready, walk right back into the positions you were in before. You cannot have it both ways. I know this sounds harsh but this is the way it is.

Kristine
I don't expect to get the same position, obviously. I expect not to be pigeon holed as a junior either, considering I work part-time and my test results indicate advanced. My point is not trying to get the same position, but ANY opportunity at all. If someone offered junior, I would take it. Recruiters are being picky right now. It's just frustrating.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
I don't expect to get the same position, obviously. I expect not to be pigeon holed as a junior either, considering I work part-time and my test results indicate advanced. My point is not trying to get the same position, but ANY opportunity at all. If someone offered junior, I would take it. Recruiters are being picky right now. It's just frustrating.

I did not mean the exact same position. I meant the same level of position. It is unreasonable to expect to get the same level position. Unfortunately, you also have lots of people looking for jobs and lots of those people have been working full-time all these years.

Kristine

Old 04-16-2009, 01:22 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,105,330 times
Quote:
Wow! Just noticed the good luck

Are you being supportive or what? What's with question/sarcasm? Me thinks you've got some anger issues...

No...jesus christ...just asking a question after i reread your post....which you answered....

hmmmm you are reading too much into this conversation...

and good luck!

Old 04-16-2009, 04:28 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,256,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post

Kristine
I totally agree.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I totally agree.
Please re-read my posts. I never said I expected to return to the same level, as I've been. The whole point was that I know my situation and find it hard to get recruiters to help. I was looking for support and suggestions, not people telling me the obvious. Thanks anyway.

Old 04-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Please re-read my posts. I never said I expected to return to the same level, as I've been. The whole point was that I know my situation and find it hard to get recruiters to help. I was looking for support and suggestions, not people telling me the obvious. Thanks anyway.
Your very first post said the following:

I'm being pegged as junior level even thought I've been a Senior web developer for 10+ years, before my stay at home

This to me reads that your frustrated as thought of as a junior level when you were a senior level BEFORE you left your job to stay at home (you never said how long you were a SAHM). What I am saying is that you cannot expect to come back to working a senior level job after taking years off to stay at home. What you were does not matter to people looking for employees if you have not been that person, in that position for years.

Does that make sense? Again, I am not trying to be mean, just trying to explain to you where I am coming from.

Kristine

Old 04-16-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I was trying to explain how I was viewed, which again, is subjective and is NOT the point. I clarified myself in the next post (see bold). If you have actual suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thanks again.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:29 PM

5,617 posts, read 15,472,860 times
you know what I feel you should nicely tell the recruiters that you do not want to be submitted for a JR. They work for you, and if its part time, and basically contract work and you have the skills and aced the test they are low balling you. Also submit yourself as a SR!! Why label yourself, its too early and if you can do it, subit your resumes as a SR yourself too!!! To hell with them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment