Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:09 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

someone on another site was saying how they hated their job in front of screen from 9am to 6pm and would rather have a job invovled traveling. So what kind of background is needed for a job like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:37 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Guessing, but I would assume you would either go to school and get an IT degree, probably no more than 2 years or teach yourself, which is probably three to four years.

First you work for free, then build up a portfolio;; then shop your portfolio to either a niche market or non-profits or for profit or small businesses, or actors/actresses or government or etc...

Old 04-21-2009, 09:15 PM

173 posts, read 968,145 times
That sounds more like a technical writer position.
If you have the job posting, then I could offer more advice.
If you are the administrator for a content management system for an Internet, Intranet or both, then you need a degree and years of experience.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:14 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Web content editor could be more like a print job- good with stylebook, writing/editing/proofing.
And there's precious little work around for that. Really.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:00 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Web content editor could be more like a print job- good with stylebook, writing/editing/proofing.
And there's precious little work around for that. Really.
DING DING DING!

Web content editing generally requires a degree in marketing communications or journalism, as well as basic knowledge of html and GUI design. In a larger company you'll need experience with a CMS as well.

(It's part of what I do for a living.)

Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
It's definitely a tedious role but if you are the type of person who does not mind that type of work then it's fulfilling. Depending on the company or content you are working with it's not always text. Digital assets (graphics) can be a part of the content as well.

It's less of a creative type role (conceptualizing or branding) and more of a production/editing job. Again...to each his/her own.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:37 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
It's definitely a tedious role but if you are the type of person who does not mind that type of work then it's fulfilling. Depending on the company or content you are working with it's not always text. Digital assets (graphics) can be a part of the content as well.

It's less of a creative type role (conceptualizing or branding) and more of a production/editing job. Again...to each his/her own.
That's true, I also work with Photoshop a lot.

And it can be tedious, it depends on the company. With a large corporation you are given the content by the marketing department and just copy edit or edit graphical content for the web then feed it into a CMS. (Incredibly boring with no creative latitude!)

I work for a smaller company where anything and everything to do with the site from writing and developing content to actually deploying it are my responsibility. Today I worked in Photoshop and spent three hours working in CGI-Perl and building a web form, tomorrow I've got a lot of actual content writing and editing to take care of.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:39 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
With a large corporation you are given the content by the marketing department. . .
Yep, I used to be that person. I managed all of the branding, content, messaging, etc for some software products in a couple large cos. I worked with many "web content managers." Some just passed the material through the pipe. But the good ones were much more proactive with the "What if we did this . . . ?" approach.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:49 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
Yep, I used to be that person. I managed all of the branding, content, messaging, etc for some software products in a couple large cos. I worked with many "web content managers." Some just passed the material through the pipe. But the good ones were much more proactive with the "What if we did this . . . ?" approach.

As a former web content manager, do you mind letting us know what kind of degree you have?

thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:35 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
As a former web content manager, do you mind letting us know what kind of degree you have?

thanks!
Perhaps you misunderread or I misundertyped . . . I was "the marketing department."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment