Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 PM

47 posts, read 304,517 times

Advertisements

I am extremely curious as to what everyone out there does for a living. I have tried endlessly to find out what all possible careers there are out there in this huge world and being on this forum for some time, I have come across many of them and was surprised - I am naive as to the seemingly endless possibility of careers out there. I wish I could find some sort of endless list on the internet of every possible career out there.

I am seriously asking you all this question.

I have been to the career web sites and bls.gov and though have obtained some good info and new info, I still dont know HOW people seem to find their careers, especially those which are less heard of and well paying. I went to an extremely liberal arts college, ranked very high, and studied lots of philosophy and economics and social science. I graduated with great grades and a useless B.A. I now wonder, as I have in another post I made about what to "do" career wise, how I will find out about the best possible options out there. In that vein, I am polling to see what each of you who are kind enough to respond do for a living. I want ideas.

I am also curious as to all the posts I see about careers like IT, banking, insurance, even real estate - what about all this in light of this recession?? People do seem to talk as though there is no recession at a time when everyone appears to be losing a job or unable to switch careers. I would love to get into something lucrative and interesting like real estate or banking, but I dont know how and I dont understand how that is a good idea with this market.

Would anyone like to contribute to the vacant space between my ears that doesnt seem to understand how others come across their unique and often interesting careers??

p.s. I failed to mention for clarity sake that I am not a recent college grad, I am 35 yrs old and a first year teacher (was in social work prior), but am EAGER (understatement) to find a new more palatable and profitable career. I am highly motivated and analytical person, but not very saavy networker I suppose as I seem to have not much of an idea how to gather info on this matter.

Last edited by airbucket; 04-21-2009 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: adding info i forgot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:21 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
Ok, I got one for you.. I am a cook on a boat. A tow boat, we push barges up and down the Mississippi River. We recently had a 40 year old retired Navy Submarine medic come to work on our boat.. a real go getter and really smart.. he hired in as a deckhand (could afford it on Navy retirement and the job his wife has).

His first trip with us,we knew he was waaaaay over qualified for what he was doing so we asked WHY he was there. Because he wanted to be back on the water working (NOT in the medical field) and he has his sights set on being Captain of one of these boats one day. He is moving up fast! Even our company has offered to send him to school to get him in the wheelhouse and he hasn't been with us a year yet!

Old 04-21-2009, 08:28 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Work night shift in IT full time in an operations center...taking 12 hours of classes also... I think everybody here has worked in IT for awhile and trying to transition out of it ! Got one guy doing Physics, another doing an mba, another going to med school... ..good job for that...I just got the contract job about a month ago, and just doing it to get some money saved up so I can move! I have worked in IT about 7 years but not fulfilling and I'm not a cubicle type person though I love to program on the side... doing it for work??? that is a different ball game. I am trying to figure out a diff non rat race career also...

Old 04-21-2009, 09:03 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,950 times
Paralegal. I am interested in patent law. And as soon as I get my act together will take the Patent Bar and hopefully get hired as a patent paralegal with a firm in Washington, D.C. or Virgina!!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:19 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Currently, night RN in psychatric hospital, dealing with all diagnostic groups except under-18s. I went to a hospital diploma school for two years to take the RN boards when I was 28.
Other things I've done for a living-
the usual waitressing and retail/food service, a little factory work (frozen onion rings, Melita coffee filters, some electronic thingys), a lucky job copyediting news for a public TV station, sorting collections in a rare book library laborer on a waterfront construction job, carpenter apprentice in the union (oh, those 1970s!), groom at the racetrack, Army Reserve medical officer in charge of medical training programs for enlisted people, hospice RN, public health communithy worker in Peace Corps (briefly- Haiti right after Duvalier...)
Oh, and home copy-editing the interview transcripts for "Frontline" on PBS for seven years. Best job ever, but it was freelance and they finally wanted someone in-house for short money.
Thanks for asking! You know how we baby-boomers can leave quite a twisted trail, or as I say, "weird mileage."

Old 04-22-2009, 08:08 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,860 times
I work in software doing requirements analysis right now. I'm actually a lawyer, but creatively avoiding practicing law because I kind of like IT

Old 04-22-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
I work in software doing requirements analysis right now. I'm actually a lawyer, but creatively avoiding practicing law because I kind of like IT

What is requirements analysis?

thanks!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,234,990 times
journalist/editor
receptionist on the weekends and some extra evenings (like tonight)...

i am leaving both of these to get a masters in urban planning.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,790,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
What is requirements analysis?

thanks!
Put plainly, I talk to people who want software developed, talk to the people who are going to develop the software, and write down what needs to happen to make it so

Old 04-22-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabbcat View Post
Put plainly, I talk to people who want software developed, talk to the people who are going to develop the software, and write down what needs to happen to make it so

Thanks!

The reason why I ask is because I read that legal software jobs where an up and coming industy.

And i wasn't sure what the article meant by legal software jobs. and if they do exist...i haven't seen any job ads

thanks for the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment