Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 04:02 PM

99 posts, read 335,109 times

Advertisements

This is sort of based on the previous thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...irm-share.html

I was invited in to go see a consulting firm and got to talk with their technical recruiter and one of the experienced technical leads. They both told me that in order to be more "marketable" for today's consulting jobs, I needed to be comfortable with them "tweaking" my resume for clients.

What that meant? I found out from asking. Apparently, they are allowed to extend and fudge in work experiences that have never existed into a their employee's resume so that it "looks good". How does it work? They wouldn't tell me in detail, but told me that in today's industry, two types of background checks exist, one is for a criminal record only, and the other is a full in depth background check. Whichever is the case, once you are signed into their firm, they will "back you up" if any client or employer asks about those "fudged" job experiences, since they will be listed as jobs placed through the consulting firm.

I found out that this company has been around for over 10 years and at first, I thought this would easily press some legal issues, but they told me that all contract firms operate this way.

Is this some sort of back door trick that consults use to display themselves as having extensive years of experience (5 to 8+ years) ?

In a way, after hearing that, I was sort of pissed off. Why? All these years, I've been working from job to job , back to back, while going through school and thereafter, actual REAL jobs, to earn experience and make ends meat.

And here, are a bunch of contracted consultants, a lot of which have been placed over the years, some are around the same age as me, but they have "fudged" experiences and have been able to get away with this...free listed and defended experience because of employers like this.

If this is okay in today's society to do, than I've been missing out of some easy job opportunities that I could've had, but didn't have the years of experience acquired, yet, these people, can gain easy access to them thanks to these types of companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 04:05 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike69 View Post
I was invited in to go see a consulting firm and got to talk with their technical recruiter and one of the experienced technical leads. They both told me that in order to be more "marketable" for today's consulting jobs, I needed to be comfortable with them "tweaking" my resume for clients.

What that meant? I found out from asking. Apparently, they are allowed to extend and fudge in work experiences that have never existed into a their employee's resume so that it "looks good". How does it work? They wouldn't tell me in detail, but told me that in today's industry, two types of background checks exist, one is for a criminal record only, and the other is a full in depth background check. Whichever is the case, once you are signed into their firm, they will "back you up" if any client or employer asks about those "fudged" job experiences, since they will be listed as jobs placed through the consulting firm.
Seems fishy to me. I've been placed through a contract firm, and they said there were things to emphasize/de emphasize in my resume for things I actually DID. But certainly not experience I never HAD.

If they cut corners on this, I kind of wonder what else they fudge on. And employers certainly wouldn't be amused by this behavior.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:05 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,125,687 times
Sorry, but Jesus! Can you please tell us the name of this company, so we can make up our own minds.

I asked you yesterday,

thnx

Old 04-25-2009, 05:00 PM

I can't say the name of the company, but all I can hint is that it's an Indian Consulting firm (not to be racist, but that's what they're listed as)

Employers wouldn't be amused because they wouldn't know to begin with. If they check up on the previous employer (this consulting firm's employees), those employees will verify it and the deed is done.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:18 PM

Well, you will have to come back to report to us, after you have paid your 1500 dollars and gone through their training, whether they were able to get you a good job!!

Good luck!

p..s But yes, anyone knows your word is the most precious thing you have! If your clients, employees, and possibly employers learn that you are deceitful, that will irrevocably harm your business! Whether it is a slow process, it in the end reveals itself

Quote:
I can't say the name of the company, but all I can hint is that it's an Indian Consulting firm (not to be racist, but that's what they're listed as)

Employers wouldn't be amused because they wouldn't know to begin with. If they check up on the previous employer (this consulting firm's employees), those employees will verify it and the deed is done.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:51 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,909 times
Quote:

If it's Satyam, thery're in all kinds of legal trouble. So this behavior would not be surprising.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Default Do not give them a cent!

See this post about my experience with a similar company running classes to be a Business Systems Analyst:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5930734-post18.html

For awhile this was big business and just a huge revolving door of unqualified H-1b business analysts faking their experience and either managing to get over or getting fired. These days companies of this ilk are having trouble placing their H-1b visa workers because of the restrictions placed by the government on firms receiving bailout money. It looks like now they are going to a new scam ... charging high fees for most likely worthless training that generally trains you to be "a pretender." If you are a US Citizen or Perm. Resident then you are more attractive now to these firms due to the problems they are having placing their H-1b workers, yet how are you going to answer the question as to "why" you are working through a place like this if you have the legal right to work in the US yourself without them?

I would advise you to immediately cease all communications with these people. They are just looking for your money for (a) "training" on the front-end and (b) possibly the chance to "represent you" by paying you a beginner's wage (while themselves receiving the wage for a person with 6-7 years experience) on the back-end. That is why they want to "tweak" your resume instead of telling the truth (that you've recently upgraded your skills taking a class with them)... so they can get more than what you're actually worth and pocket the difference! Think about it. They make no investment in you at all and just stand to earn $1,500 upfront and then maybe earn a large chunk of whatever a company pays for your consulting services later on. If you want to learn more IT skills to get a legitimate job, go to a REAL accredited school. I would say all reputable schools have a placement office, plus many teachers are not just teachers, but work in the field also, so you can make some connections.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 04-25-2009 at 06:39 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM

I don't think it matters whether they are Indian American or Asian Indians! Here are 2 + articles that may prove helpful about the nature of the business of the employment agency. good luck!

Article: Paying for job hunting

A guide for working with employment agencies - MonsterTRAK.com

http://www.empowermentzone.com/huntpay.txt

http://www.hirevetsfirst.gov/e-tap/lms/unit3/unit3-5a.cfm (broken link)

http://www.naceweb.org/principles/principl.html

Last edited by gea12345; 04-25-2009 at 07:30 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 08:19 PM

thanks

Old 04-26-2009, 12:10 PM

364 posts, read 1,568,453 times
No, not true at all. You're merely working with a very, very shady organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment