Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:43 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times

Advertisements

Allegedly, only 10 to 15 percent of a company’s employment needs are advertised in newspaper or trade magazine classified ads.

Does anyone know what is the percentage break down, across the board, including all manners of filling open positions?

cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 02:27 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
I'd say the other 85-90% is nepotism, including affirmative action organizations that bully companies into hiring a specific ethnicity.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:38 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Some jobs are filled from within. Other jobs are advertised only on a company's website. Others are filled through recruiters of some sort.

Before you get too suspicious though, try to find out if the 10-15% figure you talk about is actually true.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:32 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
The majority of jobs at my current company are hired either from people wandering in off the street to fill out an application, or because someone already working there knew someone and recommended them. (In the line of business the company I'm with is in, that is the best way to hire people--internal recommendations.)

My job was one of the few actually advertised, and it was only in a little local weekly paper, not online. Since I started we hired three more, and two of the three were from employee recruitment, one had filled out an application.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:06 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
And 0% is on Monster

Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And 0% is on Monster
I've gotten two jobs off of Monster, so you are very wrong.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Some jobs are filled from within. Other jobs are advertised only on a company's website. Others are filled through recruiters of some sort.

Before you get too suspicious though, try to find out if the 10-15% figure you talk about is actually true.

No, God forbid, I would be suspicious! It was actually a question based on intellectual curiosity, rather than an opinion one way or another.

For your review, I paste the article that stated that figure below:

Cheers!!

_____

Paying for job hunting
by Crown Financial Ministries

Before you contact any employment service company, follow the suggestions listed below. In addition, before you pay or commit to pay for domestic or overseas job placement information, contact the company and have them send to you in writing what you will get for your money.
Consider your needs carefully. What type of employment assistance do you need and how much are you willing to spend for that assistance?
Know what a 900 number call to an employment listing service will cost before you make the call.
Before you sign a contract, ask any employment assistance company you contact if you or the employer pay for its services.
When you are required to pay, ask the company if payment must be made before services are given and if you are required to pay even if you do not find a job.
Look for an employment service company that regularly fills the sort of position you are seeking.
Although only 10 to 15 percent of a company’s employment needs are advertised in newspaper or trade magazine classified ads, they are good sources for finding specialized employment agencies as well as employment positions.

Article: Paying for job hunting

Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I got my job through a recruiter. The person who came in after me came through a recruiter. The next two new hires were personal referrals of existing employees. The most recent hire came through a recruiter.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I got my job through a recruiter. The person who came in after me came through a recruiter. The next two new hires were personal referrals of existing employees. The most recent hire came through a recruiter.

Thanks for the insight!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post

For your review, I paste the article that stated that figure below:

<snip>
Although only 10 to 15 percent of a company’s employment needs are advertised in newspaper or trade magazine classified ads, they are good sources for finding specialized employment agencies as well as employment positions.
Thanks. This is the type of thing that automatically makes me suspicious. They are throwing out a figure, with no references, study, or other backup to support their stat. They are also very generic, not stating what kind of company, or position.

As one solid example, I have approx. 30 FT people who report to me, 30 PT people, and seasonally I hire about 40 temp workers. I treat each of these differently.

For the FT people, the advertisement goes on the companies (a large university) web page, and about 1/2 the time I will also advertise in a trade journal, monster, etc.

For the PT jobs, they are advertised exclusively through the university's office of student employment, because I am limited to hiring students.

The temp jobs are done through an agency, so I do not advertise those at all. The agency might, but if so, I do not know where or how.

So if you are talking about my place of work, by number, fewer than 1% of "employment needs" are advertised in a trade journal or newspaper. But if you are talking about good, FT jobs with benefits, 50% are advertised in this way.

Depending on how you look at it, my place is either much better, or much worse, than the article's example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment