Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:45 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times

Advertisements

Do you commute more than 2 hours to work by Train or Car or Bus? If so, why do you do it? How many years have you been doing it? Do you plan to give it up as soon as you find a job in your home town?

Tell us your story!

Thnx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
I'd never work a job that has that commute or I'd move / rent closer to the job! I need time for a life too!

Old 04-27-2009, 03:29 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
When I worked in NYC and lived in NJ my commute was about an hour and 45 minutes each way. It was grueling, and I'd never do a commute like that again, even if it meant taking a significant cut in pay. I had no life. I'd get up before dawn every morning and get hom in time to eat dinner and go to bed at night.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 AM

Interesting, i was hoping that a new york commuter would provide some insight....

I am curious where you in New Jersey when you received the job or where you in New York, and then moved to New Jersey.

And are NY employers receptive to candidates who live in the surrounding states, as far away as Phila!

thnx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
When I worked in NYC and lived in NJ my commute was about an hour and 45 minutes each way. It was grueling, and I'd never do a commute like that again, even if it meant taking a significant cut in pay. I had no life. I'd get up before dawn every morning and get hom in time to eat dinner and go to bed at night.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
I would never ever do a commute like that. I would move first. Right now my commute varies from 10 miles directly south to...5 feet to my home office when I work at home.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:49 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,740,681 times
Life is SO AWESOME when you have almost NO COMMUTE! When I lived in Bowling Green, KY [small town of 50,000 people], - my drive to work only took 10 minutes! So I had a LIFE to do lotsa other things in Life! And PLAY!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
Life is SO AWESOME when you have almost NO COMMUTE! When I lived in Bowling Green, KY [small town of 50,000 people], - my drive to work only took 10 minutes! So I had a LIFE to do lotsa other things in Life! And PLAY!

True!! But one does, what one has to do!!

Old 04-27-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I would never ever do a commute like that. I would move first. Right now my commute varies from 10 miles directly south to...5 feet to my home office when I work at home.

Unfortunately, some fields are more concentrated in certain areas of the country.

I have read that people on both the east coast and west coast commute on average an hour or more to get to work!

On the west coast they get stuck in traffic and on the east coast many of them actually take the slow train or bus to work every morning and every evening!

I am interested is it because the pay is so great, that it is worth it to commute up to 2 hours to get to work!

Can't employers find an employee closer to the job? hmm??

Last edited by gea12345; 04-27-2009 at 07:34 AM..

Old 04-27-2009, 08:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Interesting, i was hoping that a new york commuter would provide some insight....

I am curious where you in New Jersey when you received the job or where you in New York, and then moved to New Jersey.

And are NY employers receptive to candidates who live in the surrounding states, as far away as Phila!

thnx!
I lived in MIddlesex County NJ, worked in NYC. I highly doubt a NYC employer would be interested in a Philadelphia condidate that wasn't planning on moving closer--that's closer to a three hour commute each way unless you plan on shelling out BIG bucks for Amtrak. It's pretty common for people in north NJ to commute to NYC, just like it's common for parts of central NJ to commute to Philly.

On commuter transit SEPTA to Trenton--minimum 30 minutes. Minimum 10 minute layover during transfter to NJ Transit. 80 minute ride on an express Trenton to NYP--up to 2 hours if you end up on a local. Then five to 30 minutes from there to your office. That's if everything goes as planned, which in my experience happens about 20% of the time.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
No, I would not commute that far to work. If I wanted to do that, I could of when I lived in NY. I find that life draining. It's okay if you are single or without children but unless one person in the family is based close to home, you cannot operate a family with one parent commuting that far every day.

Yes, you get great salaries and can get a GREAT job that way but I have seen too many burnt out people give up that life, particularly after 9/11. You realize it is a treadmill existence.

I just do not like traveling for work. It's not my thing. Here in Vermont you drive a bit to get to places but the traffic is minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment