Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:46 AM

295 posts, read 1,209,878 times

Advertisements

lialleycat -
Google "Natural Resources Management".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 12:48 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,380,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopblock View Post
You're way off there. Ever hear of a Diesel Mechanic?
For semi trucks? Hmm. That might be interesting. I've always loved semi's.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:11 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,282,110 times
How about forest ranger or national park jobs? Not sure how easy these jobs are to find but they often come with living situation/expenses provided and tourist season is on the horizon.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:59 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,900,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Thanks for the replies.

JTGJR, I've worked with a career coach in the past. Didn't help my career much, but made me realize at the time the bigger problem was my marriage. I spent a few years working on that, though it ended in divorce anyway. But I'm much better off now. Tried another coach after that, but didn't click. I've taken all the tests. I know I am an ISTJ and that I like to work with my hands and make things. I like working outdoors and with plants and animals. I'm not good with sales or customer service. I have a scientific mind and love to do research. Problem is, I just can't seem to find actual job titles to go with these likes. Neither of the career coaches seemed to be able to help me with that either. I don't want to throw more money away either.

gea12345, yes I have some ideas, but am not sure which ones I can really make money off of. My divorce, though worth every penny, has left me with very few nickels to rub together! I need a career in which I can make a living to support a solo woman without a second income at home. I've looked into Vet Tech, but was astounded at how little they are paid! I've looked into, but put librarian on the back burner, as it's a lot of education and I'm hearing it doesn't pay too well and jobs are hard to come by. I've always felt a draw to farming, but without the funds to purchase property to raise horses or sheep, that's not really a possibility at this time either. I'm looking for something outdoorsy, mentally stimulating, with a liveable salary that has some job openings in the eastern PA area. I'm willing to go to school for a few years (if it's nights and weekends so I can maintain a f/t job), to find my ideal career - I just need to know what it is and I'm having a lot of issues with that. The latest two careers I'm researching is horticulturalist and animal massage therapist. I also occasionally look into being an alpaca rancher, but I think thats just a dream at this point because of the cost to get started.
First of all, you have to do what you love, it's not all about the money. I love what I do and I'm a Certified Vet Tech. I went to Johnson College to get my degree and than passed the state board exams. I saw you're in Eastern, PA and JC is in Scranton, PA. How much do you need to make? If you get your degeree there and move elsewhere as I did, you can make decent money. (nothing to write home about, but a very rewarding career) You start out making about $10/hr, but with some experience and certification, you'll be making around $15-$17/hr. As a single person like yourself, I know you could comfortably live off of that. I think you should check it out, if that's what your dream is. Good luck!

Old 05-02-2009, 07:57 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,103,490 times
Well here is the link to the U.S. governments Top 50 Picks of jobs paying over 20 dollars per hour with the highest job growth 2010 to 2016!

If I had to make your decision I would review this list and then find something on here that you would be content doing and wouldn't take more than 4 years to qualify for!

good luck!!

http://www.careervoyages.gov/pdf/top50occs-download.pdf (broken link)

It makes choosing dinner a lot easier when you don't have a 100 plus entree menu!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,212 times
im a michanic i worked in florida on yachts and iraq for the military and a little wood working skills,well i can do many things with hand work and building an fixing things
I am also looking to change my carreras im getting to old for the hard pysical work and im very interested in the new green skill jobs with solar and windmills
any advice ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment