Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:57 AM

1,524 posts, read 3,889,070 times

Advertisements

I hate the limbo time between an interview and the callback. The suspense is killing me. I got an e-mail yesterday from one potential employer confirming they were checking my references. I feel pretty confident that I will get that job, it is just the wait.

Come on, potential employers. I need a job. I need money. I need to replace this piece of crap car I am driving. I need something for USCIS. I need to start saving to move out. Give me a job.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 10:01 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,787,828 times
I hear ya...
That waiting game is no fun at all... But I hope nothing but the best for you

Old 04-04-2007, 10:15 AM

2,071 posts, read 11,989,902 times
I once went for an interview, and they told me if they were interested, they would call me. In other words, don't call them, they'll call me. I thought that was a bit rude, but at least they were up-front. So, I didn't hold my breath waiting for a call back, I continued looking for employment, and got hired. Never did hear from that "don't call us, we'll call you" company.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:33 AM

I certainally haven't stopped applying at places (in fact, applying for other jobs right now), but it is still annoying to wait, especially since I really, really want one of these jobs.

I get mad when other people call. Yesterday, it seemed like everyone was calling the house except for who I wanted to actually call. I feel so pathetic.

I did get some encouraging e-mail, so I guess I should just focus on that and further job hunting.

Still annoying to wait. Heh.

Old 04-04-2007, 11:12 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,957,176 times
Patience. I've always worked in the consumer lending area of banks and in my experience we always said "two weeks" and "we'll call you".
Well, I applied to a major bank for a bank manager position, which, being exempt means that the income is salary and you have to go through a LOT of hoops!
I went to the open house a month ago, seemed they really liked me, then didn't hear anything. I applied for the specific positions and waited.
Then I got called by the HR Hiring Manager who interviewed me over the phone for an hour.
No word.
Then I got a call from the HR Hiring Manager a week later asking if I'd come in and meet a manager and she gave me a name.
I showed up, and walked into a conference room with four senior managers around the table and I said: "Oh! A panel interview!" It went very well and I was impressed with the quality of the four people. If I were to work there, then one of these four would be my boss.
Then I didn't hear anything for week. I got a call Monday at 3pm asking if I could be there in one-half hour for an interview. I said "no". I'm too far away and the traffic is too heavy for me to be there by 3:30pm. (not only too far for travel time, but I was unshaven and in my pajamas!). Then I was asked if I could be there yesterday at 10:00am. I said absolutely.
So, I showed up a half hour beforehand and then met the Vice President, Operations Director...the head honcho of 1200 employees. He told me that he wanted to interview and meet any outside manager applicants as he wanted input into the skills and abilities/techniques an outside manager hire can bring to the internal environment. We interviewed for 1 hour and it went very well.
I haven't yet been offered a job! Instead, he said: "You'll like it here very much I think".
So....waiting again! I think I have it, but I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch. Be patient

Old 04-04-2007, 11:25 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,588,560 times
While you're waiting to hear from a company after a job interview, send a thank you card. A thank you card shows an expression of interest without bugging anyone. This gesture may help you stand out from the rest of the applicants. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:05 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,020,451 times
Hang in there. Whenever I've been told they were checking references, a job offer has followed.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:02 PM

5,657 posts, read 11,209,023 times
Good luck Sonnenwende, good luck MoMark with your job hunts.

How is life back in the USA Sonnenwende? I know the job market in Germany is still pretty rough for lots of people there. I'm guessing that's one thing that brought you back to the US? Indianapolis should be a good place to settle down. Cost of living is good compared to other cities, and seems to be enough going on around the area to keep entertained and employed.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the good luck wishes everyone! Also good luck to you, MoMark!

Yes, my husband and I are moving back to the US because of the job situation in Germany. He has to stay in Germany until his visa is approved. We are looking at him being here in either September or October.

As for Indy, it is a nice place. Low COL, good unemployment rates, there are things to do, true. However, I don't want to stay here. We would rather like to be in a city that is somewhat compareable to Indianapolis in MSA size, COL, and unemployment rate, that is on a large body of water and closer to Canada. I am pretty sure we found what we are looking for in Rochester, NY. As soon as my husband gets here, we are both taking a trip out there to make sure it is what we want.

At the moment, I have had to move back to Indy because my mom is here. I can't afford to live on my own with a kid without a job, obviously. However, I am working my butt off to try and get one. I have already been on 3 interviews, so we will see what comes of all of it.

I'll keep you all posted.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:45 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,957,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Thanks for the good luck wishes everyone! Also good luck to you, MoMark!

Yes, my husband and I are moving back to the US because of the job situation in Germany. He has to stay in Germany until his visa is approved. We are looking at him being here in either September or October.

As for Indy, it is a nice place. Low COL, good unemployment rates, there are things to do, true. However, I don't want to stay here. We would rather like to be in a city that is somewhat compareable to Indianapolis in MSA size, COL, and unemployment rate, that is on a large body of water and closer to Canada. I am pretty sure we found what we are looking for in Rochester, NY. As soon as my husband gets here, we are both taking a trip out there to make sure it is what we want.

At the moment, I have had to move back to Indy because my mom is here. I can't afford to live on my own with a kid without a job, obviously. However, I am working my butt off to try and get one. I have already been on 3 interviews, so we will see what comes of all of it.

I'll keep you all posted.
Good luck to you too and thank you recycled
Rochester, New York? Will your German husband be able to handle all that snow? :|
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment