Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 02:27 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times

Advertisements

I was working my unit as a n.a. one night when a healthy and independent 83 yr old man fell. Despite the fact that he was screaming that his tail bone and hip were hurting the charge nurse chose to set him up in a wheel chair and put him back in bed rather than our standard procedure during a fall where a resident complains of pain or hits their head where they are held still and taken to the E.R.

A few days ago myself and the other 2 nurse aides who worked his hall that night were suddenly fired for no logical reason - 2 excellent n.a women were searched for having a cell phone and I was fired for "subordination".

A few days before I got pulled to work another unit and heard that rumor had it that upper management had called a "Code Blackout" (which means LPN's are told to give you hell and write you up until you quit or are fired) on the n.a.'s working the hall that night the man fell and was forced up by the charge nurse. Supposedly the facility was facing a lawsuit from the man's family and needed s scapegoat (aka "we fired the worthless n.a.'s that caused his fall") to cover up the charge nurse's blatant malpractice.

Is this a common thing in the nursing industry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 02:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I'm not sure what's common in the nursing industry, but the story doesn't add up as protection from a lawsuit. Firing the three of you makes you more likely to testify against the charge nurse. Furthermore, the firing of "the worthless n.a.'s that caused his fall" won't change the outcome of the lawsuit. They're still liable for what happened to that man. Everything you shared just don't make sense.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm not sure what's common in the nursing industry, but the story doesn't add up as protection from a lawsuit. Firing the three of you makes you more likely to testify against the charge nurse. Furthermore, the firing of "the worthless n.a.'s that caused his fall" won't change the outcome of the lawsuit. They're still liable for what happened to that man. Everything you shared just don't make sense.
What also doesn't make sense is that the man can probably tell exactly what happened on his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
A few days ago myself and the other 2 nurse aides who worked his hall that night were suddenly fired for no logical reason - 2 excellent n.a women were searched for having a cell phone and I was fired for "subordination".
1. I don't see what having a cell phone has to do with this man and
2. Subordination - what exactly did they say you refused to do?

Quote:
A few days before I got pulled to work another unit and heard that rumor had it that upper management had called a "Code Blackout" (which means LPN's are told to give you hell and write you up until you quit or are fired) on the n.a.'s working the hall that night the man fell and was forced up by the charge nurse. Supposedly the facility was facing a lawsuit from the man's family and needed s scapegoat (aka "we fired the worthless n.a.'s that caused his fall") to cover up the charge nurse's blatant malpractice.
Times are tough right now, I wonder if there were cutbacks and they didn't want to pay unemployment?
Go to unemployment and have them prove why they fired you.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
I would contact a attorney. ASAP.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:14 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Let me clarify a couple things...

1. I'm not wanting to sue the facility, I just want to know if this is a common thing in the nursing industry. I've heard that since the nurse aids have such a high turnover rate in nursing homes (nearly 100% turnover per year) that they will fire a nurse aid w/ little reason since they figure you will leave on your own anyway

2. To my understanding I and my 2 co workers were fired to discredit us IF we tried to come forward OR in the event of a possible lawsuit they could tell the family that bad nurse aides caused their father's death and that they "took care of the problem"

3. The only legal type action I would consider would be to get that charge nurse's medical license revoked. She completely ignored the facilities official fall procedures and the pleas of 2 LPN's and several Nurse Aides by refusing to leave him on the floor with his head supported while EMS was called.

I honestly feel the she murdered the man and that the lives of other residents are at risk until she is removed from the facility and/ or put in prison.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:24 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
You went from a broken tailbone to murder...How did that happen????

Old 05-03-2009, 03:24 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Well elizabeth and robert's brother Harry are hiding in my trunk!

holymoses!

Old 05-03-2009, 04:20 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Let me clarify a couple things...

1. I'm not wanting to sue the facility, I just want to know if this is a common thing in the nursing industry. I've heard that since the nurse aids have such a high turnover rate in nursing homes (nearly 100% turnover per year) that they will fire a nurse aid w/ little reason since they figure you will leave on your own anyway

2. To my understanding I and my 2 co workers were fired to discredit us IF we tried to come forward OR in the event of a possible lawsuit they could tell the family that bad nurse aides caused their father's death and that they "took care of the problem"

3. The only legal type action I would consider would be to get that charge nurse's medical license revoked. She completely ignored the facilities official fall procedures and the pleas of 2 LPN's and several Nurse Aides by refusing to leave him on the floor with his head supported while EMS was called.

I honestly feel the she murdered the man and that the lives of other residents are at risk until she is removed from the facility and/ or put in prison.
It does not matter if you want to sue or not you must talk to a attorney so you protect yourself.
they will be able to advise you what your options are and how and if you want to go after that nurses license. You do not want your reputation to be marred from this if could prevent future work so go talk to a attorney.
You may be advised by a attorney to have them or you contact the family of the man and testify on their behalf this will also protect your reputation as a NA but again only a attorney looking at the facts will be able to advise.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,111 times
Never heard of blackout but the patient should have been sent to the ER. Thats for sure. I was fired one time in my career and to this day I cannot figure how they got away with it. In SC you can be fired at will.. Crazy . Hope y'all found good jobs.
I am an RN by the way.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:46 AM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
I've been working in nursing homes for 18 years and have not seen that happen. People fall all the time, no one gets fired for it unless there is some obvious negligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment