U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 PM

784 posts, read 3,148,434 times
Default I get so restless and bored at work, can you relate? (revived thread)

Usually there is enough at work to keep me busy, that is not the problem. I have the worst time sitting still at work. We are expected to be at our desks when we are in the office. I get so restless and bored. I feel like I am in a prison cell and want to get up all the time and walk around but that is a no- no.

I know a different kind of work is a good idea but that is a long term goal and I have to pay the rent in the mean time. I have to put up with the job and being stuck at my desk makes me feel like a prisoner. It does not seem to bother anyone else I talk to, is it just me?

Do you get bored sitting at a desk all day, even if there is enough work to do?

Last edited by 2goldens; 12-14-2009 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: 2007 Rivived thread - Moved from Other Topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,087,728 times
OMG yes. I am so bored I could cry and I worry every day that my company will restrict my internet useage and then I will go mad. Making it even worse is that I am paid so well that I can't just blow this off and go somewhere else so until I can at least match my current salary I guess I am stuck here. The people couldn't be nicer and they don't seem too concerned that I just sit at my desk staring at the computer screen - which fortunately faces away from the opening to my "space."

Old 04-04-2007, 03:03 PM

5,835 posts, read 14,521,801 times
Yes, I get bored too. I have been playing games on my cell phone and making personal phone calls to waste time. I try to not surf the web too much; I'm afraid our IT guy will notice and mention it to the higher ups. He's that sort of person.

Old 04-04-2007, 07:33 PM

4,487 posts, read 9,943,157 times
Maybe you're over-worked? Take some PTO and a vacation!

If you're restless and bored at work, you probably aren't performing at your top efficiency. You may just need some time off to relax.

Otherwise you might be in a rut. You're stuck at a job you don't like, you can't afford to quit but you know you should. Sometimes you need to re-evaluate your priorities and see if you can find a job you'll enjoy more with a competitive salary.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:43 PM

2,597 posts, read 7,701,358 times
Im in a similar situation, hate my job, down to the very last bone in my body, they done so many changes thse last years, that i dont feel like a person, i feel like a damn robot!!!!! I make descent money, im afraid to quit, because i cant affrd to, dont think anybody will match what i make now, and its scary!!! Dont want to die here!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,005,539 times
My mother thinks her job is boring her to death hoping that she quits, but she says she won't quit until she's layed off or finds a better job.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 PM

1,668 posts, read 5,371,787 times
Nobody knows the bordom I've seen... Retired military, and all. Anyway (in addition to SpeedyAZ) try this: How to Meditate at Work | eHow.com

Old 12-15-2009, 02:56 PM

1,671 posts, read 4,067,853 times
I don't have this problem on a daily basis, but at times I could go hours with no work. I work in Corporate Real Estate and the market is so unstable. Because you have a job, I say stay put until the market stabilizes. HP and Microsoft offers online courses for free to get your skills up to par. I utilize my time and blog on many sites--better than me blabbing on the phone. Offer to help your co-workers on projects to fill the time.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 PM

2,349 posts, read 2,854,437 times
Check this thread out:

Name jobs where you get to do field work majority of the time

Old 12-18-2009, 07:45 AM

68 posts, read 101,087 times
I have a very boring job as well. And like Redrover if it wasn't for surfing the internet I would fall asleep right at my desk. I make decent money but I don't know how much longer I can stand the boredom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment